My ideal P&S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfibius

Deregistered
Jan 26, 2004
Perth
I am starting to get a little fed up with my big DSLR and i'm thinking of getting a high quality point and shoot. I already have a Canon S40 which I have given to my sister, so I surveyed the market. I could not find anything that interested me remotely - mainly because they had too much noise, were fitted with lousy lens, or were too slow. I would not mind paying a high price for a P&S provided it comes close my DSLR in terms of image quality.

This is what I want:

1. A 3 megapixel sensor with a large pixel pitch for maximum low noise capability. Since I will be handholding this camera, I want to be able to shoot acceptable pictures at up to ISO 1600. From experience, 3 megapixels is enough to print at A4 size.

2. A high quality fast lens, preferably with a zoom range from 24-70mm, or even a super-fast 50mm equivalent prime.

3. A pop-up flash with an accessory flash hotshoe.

4. A LARGE hinged rear LCD.

5. Seperate manual controls for aperture and shutter speed.

If it sounds like I am describing the Leica Digilux 2 / Panasonic, perhaps I am. I would prefer that camera to be $1000 cheaper with a better sensor in a smaller sized body. At the moment it is too expensive - I would rather buy a second SLR body (or even a Voigtlander Bessa) than get that camera.

How about the Fuji S602 or S7000

there are no such a thing prosumer camera can shoot ISO 1600 with acceptable result. So your wish will not be fulfilled... at the moment

get the pana LC1 zoom 28-90mm at f2
5MP
2.5 In LCD
build in flash
good *****
i think i will only change cam to 10 mega pic
i love this came so much*****

amateur_photographer said:
there are no such a thing prosumer camera can shoot ISO 1600 with acceptable result. So your wish will not be fulfilled... at the moment

Yes, full agree on above.
Digicam is not ready for ISO 1600 yet.
Too much noise......

Also, not sure what is your yardstick for "high quality P&S".

I would think P&S has such requirements:
1) small, handy, portable form factor (pocketable?)
2) quick startup time
3) low shutter lag
4) Quick and reliable focus
5) easily available battery

High quality entails:
1) Good resolution (ok, A4 size is adequate)
2) dynamic range
3) decent lens

I would think, as of now in end Jun 2004, such camera does not yet exists.
It would be a compromise.....

A. Digi cam - maybe Canon Ixus i, fixed lens. Actually I quite like Sony F77
too. But methinks u pay more for the hype than quality.
(but anyway, ISO1600 is still better served by a film camera currently, imho)

B. Traditional fixed lens film cam -
Contax T3 (meets the most requirements)
Leica Minilux (a bit bulky, 40mm, closest to a 50mm prime)
Ricoh GR1 (28mm lens)
Minota TC-1 (very exp lar)
Konica Hexar (too bulky, but fast lens and near-silent operation)

Not sure what subject interest u are keen in, but I would think
the lens in a zoom P&S is usually a compromise lor....

Exactly, my "ideal" P&S does not exist. I know that! I wasn't coming on here asking for recommendations as to which P&S to buy - i've already looked at nearly all of them. I was posting this here so I could see if anyone else feels the same way and whether camera makers are missing out on a market segment.

ST1100 said:
Epson RD1?

Certainly a very intriguing camera except that the cost of Leica M lenses will bankrupt me! I cannot afford to have two lens collections going :cry:

Come on Nikon (or Canon or SOMEBODY) ... make us a P&S worth buying!

get sony T1.. Think its most cool. If P&S digicam definitely can't give u the best quality but how abt the best design? :)

I was thinking if one day there will come out a P&S with switchable lens? I understand that there is actually lenses by tamron and other brand that is just like our slr lenses but is onli 3-4 cm in diameter, packed with aperture and focussing rings and threaded somemore,which often used in automation industry.

Noise? Dun overload the CCD loh..3-4 meg pixels is sufficient. And more powerful firmware of cos...

Status
Not open for further replies.