My IBM T40 just died, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hi ya all,

My few year old IBM T40 just died. I sent it back to IBM for repairs and they replied that my mother-board is defective. Cost of repair: about S$1500!

It is obviously crazy to pay that amount to get it repaired. Hence, I would like to know what are the alternatives to bring the T40 back to life again (at a lower cost)? Source for a mobo in Sim Lim? Suggestions are welcomed.

TIA. :)

No choice i guess. Its either you wait till March to get a new notebook (PC show) or .. bite the bullet - replace the motherboard.

But seriously speaking, i'd replace the motherboard (not sure about others opinion).. as IBM notebooks are quite hardy and they can stand alot of abuse.

If your T40 is already a few years old, no point replacing the motherboard. Might as well buy a new notebook as you get a brand new warranty for the whole system, instead of just the motherboard.

So imagine what happens when you replace the motherboard and something else breaks due to old age... you have no choice but to pay more to replace the other faulty equipment... :cry:

Just my 2 cents worth...

Thanks for the advice dEthANGeL, but I know that I will go as per adviced by superfly and Bluestrike. :)
My heart will want a new notebook rather than the old one.

I had a friend who took it to Sim Lim Square basement to repair his T40 motherboard. Ard 200 bucks. Give it a try.

I guess IBM charge u $1.5k to replace a new motherboard for u. The other "real technician" will do a diagnostic and repair the faulty components, hence cheaper. Typcially it is only a burnt capacitor, a loose solder joint, a broken connector pin.

Astin said:
I guess IBM charge u $1.5k to replace a new motherboard for u. The other "real technician" will do a diagnostic and repair the faulty components, hence cheaper. Typcially it is only a burnt capacitor, a loose solder joint, a broken connector pin.
Agreed with you comments Astin. IBM's took the easy and more profitable approach to the problem.

T43...after getting nodded advice from CSers here...no regret getting one. Superb machine!

Think so..read it on Digital Life few weeks ago...but the series don't go as T41, 42, 43,44,45,46,47....etcetc...T43 is the last laptop to be officially under IBM IIRC...T60 is under Lenovo (but uses IBM's name)

don't think there's a T50..?:dunno:

Astin said:
I am cantonese, so I am waiting for the lucky T88 to upgrade next.

they wont come out t88

Status
Not open for further replies.