My home Singtel land line was dead

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Just realised the land line was dead for some time. It used to work. Thought my cordless phone was not working. Went to buy a new corded phone. Same problem. Land line does not work.
Lately also a huge number of times the Singtel broadband disconnect by itself and reconnect again a while later.

Called Singtel and they will send someone to check.

Then I surfed to see if my problem was unique.

BINGO!

So now I know.
This is an excerpt from one of the postings I found....in Wilfridwong.com

"Thursday 11am?- A technician arrived at my doorstep. I felt like giving him a hug. Half of what he said I don’t understand. Somehow SingTel has outsourced the technical support (perhaps that explains the less than friendly call yesterday?) and the technician told me that what I have is a common problem. Someone from SingTel has done some configuration at their end (in my case, upgrade of%2

Last edited:
my internet was abruptly hanged yesterday, keep telling me the proxy i was using was "not avaliable". seems like singtel/singet has some routing issues...

my internet was abruptly hanged yesterday, keep telling me the proxy i was using was "not avaliable". seems like singtel/singet has some routing issues...

Yes, we call them Singhang nowadays.

If you're living in a HDB flat, that is a common problem as the copper communication line are degrading.

I've called Singtel twice to fix the problems with my telephone line a few years ago and both the technicians that repaired the line told me about the copper line.

If you're living in a HDB flat, that is a common problem as the copper communication line are degrading.

I've called Singtel twice to fix the problems with my telephone line a few years ago and both the technicians that repaired the line told me about the copper line.

degrading as in being oxidised?

My phone line was also dead from a few days and magically start working 2 days ago.
Don't know what magic singtel is doing :dunno:.

That is why I have no land line.

to end this problem, i think we should not subscribe to any ISP for broadband or phone line... all the ISP are giving headache anyway:sweat:

I am switching to Fibre. Let's see how it turns out.

singtel is doing this becoz they want people to change to optic fibre before more optic fibre plans come out, if there are more optic fibre plans come out, the price would drop.

Marketing strategy. :bsmilie:

singtel is doing this becoz they want people to change to optic fibre before more optic fibre plans come out, if there are more optic fibre plans come out, the price would drop.

Marketing strategy. :bsmilie:

Yes, I would think so. They may 'purposely' make the link faulty, and when we make a complaint, they would suggest us to upgrade to the next generation fibre link, since cost of repair may be high.

That's what in my mind too. :think:

Yes, I would think so. They may 'purposely' make the link faulty, and when we make a complaint, they would suggest us to upgrade to the next generation fibre link, since cost of repair may be high.

That's what in my mind too. :think:

haha i am bearing with the line now..
waiting for new line to come out then optic fibre price will drop :) ~
then is time to change :)

haha i am bearing with the line now..
waiting for new line to come out then optic fibre price will drop :) ~
then is time to change :)

I still think ADSL works fine. Don't think fibre optic will improve my connection speed significantly, as the other end that I surfed to may not have this speed to keep up as well. So unless they make the package so attractive, as in they throw in a good modem, etc, I'll not upgrade.

I still think ADSL works fine. Don't think fibre optic will improve my connection speed significantly, as the other end that I surfed to may not have this speed to keep up as well. So unless they make the package so attractive, as in they throw in a good modem, etc, I'll not upgrade.

haha true that the other end may not have the speed that we are having but still i think it is worth the try if the price is attractive haha :p ~

Lucky I am on leave.
Singtel guy came at 11.20am and was courteous. He solved the problem in 2 minutes.
The problem is outside my home in the electrical junction box.
He asked me to test the phone and this time it has dial tone.
Later called my own handphone and the call went through.
Called one of my friends holidaying in MLY who had autoroam. It went through.

Bangla guys previously fixed the OpenNet. Other than that, cannot recall spotting anyone else going to the cable room in last 8 months to fiddle with the technical cabling. Not sure if it was the cause.

So for Singtel service - fast and good. Called at about 10.22pm last night and Singtel said will send tech today from 9am to 1pm. Which they did at 11.20am. The land line connection problem is quickly solved.

Last edited:
Very possible this could be caused by 3-party vendors. A common problem if more than 1 party can access the comms room.

Lucky I am on leave.
Singtel guy came at 11.20am and was courteous. He solved the problem in 2 minutes.
The problem is outside my home in the electrical junction box.
He asked me to test the phone and this time it has dial tone.
Later called my own handphone and the call went through.

Well maybe the Bangla guys who previously fixed the OpenNet did not really know they broke my Singtel landline connection. Just a guess. Because other than that, cannot recall spotting anyone else going to the cable room in last few months to fiddle with the technical cabling.

So for Singtel service - not bad. Called at about 10.22pm last night and Singtel said will send tech today from 9am to
1pm. So it is quickly solved.

lately my Singnet connection also face a lot of problem, sometime lost connection or become very very slow.

About 2 months back my internet and phone died without warning.
When i call singtel, they send an engineer few days later. He found another contract cut our line when he install phone line for our neighbors :eek:.