My home, my everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oswin

Sep 4, 2006
My first C&C post ever. :embrass: Please give my any C&C.

The subjects in the photo is not particularly interesting to any of us cos we see it almost every day. I hope the different angle will compensate for that.

Please comment on anything that I can improve on. Composition, exposure or anything at all.

Took this shot while i was cataloging the stray cats around my area. I looked up and thought it was an interesting view.

1422849562_528d21d58a.jpg

i see abit of everything here. yes it is indeed a good view just like that of the national stadium with its arching structure.

what do you want us to C&C on? the technique or the picture? Hope it helps you find out in what you are looking for :)

Its really difficult to "compensate" for the lack of interest. You have a lot going on in the picture but none says much to the viewer. Not knowing the place well, I can't say how this can be improved.

i see abit of everything here. yes it is indeed a good view just like that of the national stadium with its arching structure.

what do you want us to C&C on? the technique or the picture? Hope it helps you find out in what you are looking for :)

I would like some C&C on the picture. What do you think of it? Does it grab your attention? Any way I can improve on it (either by technique or composition) :)

Thanks!

Its really difficult to "compensate" for the lack of interest. You have a lot going on in the picture but none says much to the viewer. Not knowing the place well, I can't say how this can be improved.

Thanks for the honest opinion! In fact, I feel the same about the lack of interest...

Some CSers seem to be able to make ordinary things look extraordinary. Guess I need to put in ALOT more effort.

the left side is so underexposed it looks like it was "cut" out of the photograph. :(

also nothing really grabs the attention. :(

the left side is so underexposed it looks like it was "cut" out of the photograph. :(

also nothing really grabs the attention. :(

I thought it was a bit dark on the left too. I will try to PP it at home tonight!

I guess the biggest problem is still a lack of interest in the photo....

to me the dark is not an issue here, it is considered an option to frame the picture n my opinion. However, like said, there is abit of everything, abit of the frame, abit of the flat, abit of the grass and so many things which I am not sure what is in this picture.

If you would want to go for the framing, include more of it and use it specifically to frame something. Most probably maybe people on the slope as it might adds more interest in this photograph.

Otherwise like you said, it looks like something nice to take yes, I would do that too but in the end I wouldn't keep it because its not a complete photograph.

I think it's good to shoot this and learn from here what works and what not, I believe this way can help you further improve. Got to be honest I had to trial and error this way too and I still take many lousy shots compared to the 'jiang hu' out there :bsmilie:

to me the dark is not an issue here, it is considered an option to frame the picture n my opinion. However, like said, there is abit of everything, abit of the frame, abit of the flat, abit of the grass and so many things which I am not sure what is in this picture.

If you would want to go for the framing, include more of it and use it specifically to frame something. Most probably maybe people on the slope as it might adds more interest in this photograph.

Otherwise like you said, it looks like something nice to take yes, I would do that too but in the end I wouldn't keep it because its not a complete photograph.

I think it's good to shoot this and learn from here what works and what not, I believe this way can help you further improve. Got to be honest I had to trial and error this way too and I still take many lousy shots compared to the 'jiang hu' out there :bsmilie:

Thanks for your advice sprintist! Adding people would definitely make it more interesting. But on the slope? A bit "unnatural" perhaps? The slopes are quite steep and not where people would walk on. :)

I was also thinking of waiting for a nice sunset/sunrise in the sky and retake the picture again. Need to check if this place does get any sunrise/sunset though :bsmilie:

Perhaps to begin, try to have a theme for this one..

this one.. so it does not arouse any interest. The subject is all over the place.

Thanks for your advice sprintist! Adding people would definitely make it more interesting. But on the slope? A bit "unnatural" perhaps? The slopes are quite steep and not where people would walk on. :)

I was also thinking of waiting for a nice sunset/sunrise in the sky and retake the picture again. Need to check if this place does get any sunrise/sunset though :bsmilie:

yes precisely, pple wont walk on the slope. which means this photo is hard to capture our attention in this case. i think you are getting the hang of seeing things around you, good start and i am sure you will learn to see more things around you along the way!

the lines are interesting, i have to admit, it grabbed my eye for about 2 seconds, perhaps
after which i was totally distraught by the clutter in the photograph
how did someone put it, you give me leading lines that lead nowhere
and everything else that catches my attention has nothing to do with the leading lines =/

but the idea is there, keep shooting, i must say this is quite a good effort at composition, especially if you're new

Does it grab your attention? Any way I can improve on it (either by technique or composition) :)

One possibly way to make photos of everyday things more interesting is to use "pars pro toto", i.e. focus on a detail of the scene/building/object that represents the whole. Details are frequently overlooked, it is easier to take them from different or unusual angles, and - depending on the background of the observer - they can have associations that let you depict something that actually isn't in the picture.

To give a random example, if you show an HDB waste chute, most Singaporeans would associate it with the archetypical HDB block, even if it isn't shown in the picture. Since you have more freedom in picking the details and/or perspective compared to a cityscape shot where the position of everything is pretty much fixed, it is easier to make such a picture stand out. And since the picture of "the whole" only exists in the mind of the observer, every observer can "see" the pictures that (s)he likes best.

1373306384_5a341b878f.jpg

Notice how the elements in the abstract were identified from the building? Anyone who have seen the building, then the abstract shot would have identified it as part of the building though it did not show the entire building.

Thanks LittleWolf and Kit!

Kit: In your example, if someone hasn't seen the building before, what would the abstract shot mean/convey to them?

For some reason (which I am unable to explain), I think the abstract shot will still intrigue those who haven't seen the building before. Any idea why? :embrass:

For some reason (which I am unable to explain), I think the abstract shot will still intrigue those who haven't seen the building before. Any idea why?

Human curiosity as in "where/what is this???" :).

Human curiosity as in "where/what is this???" :).

Ahh! makes sense! Its all so simple when you guys explain it but yet so difficult for me :embrass:

Its all so simple when you guys explain it but yet so difficult for me

That's to be expected - giving advice is easy, following it is not. That's why people would rather be consultants than doing productive work. :angel:

Its not that difficult when you do it enough and got used to it.

Abstracts are essentially an alternate vision(from how other people see it) the photographer formulate from what he sees. He might pick up an interesting pattern, recognise vibrant colours, contrasting subjects, etc and starts to design a composition out of them.

To people who had seen the building, they can instantly recognise the feature. If not, it would be a creation of colours, shapes, etc. Will they find it interesting? That depends on how you photograph it.

Your challenge is to identify these everyday objects and make them appear extra-ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.