My HDR Picture(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegasus7777777

Aug 25, 2009
20090910_Seeing_A_Doc_090_88_89_HDR.jpg

Comments and Criticisms welcomed.

I realised when editing that sometimes its hard to know when to "overdo" it and when is it "underdone". The problem is alot of HDR people out that tend to swing on the "overdone", making HDR more like a sketchy overdone filter. Any thoughts on that one too?

Last edited:
Comments and Criticisms welcomed.

I realised when editing that sometimes its hard to know when to "overdo" it and when is it "underdone". The problem is alot of HDR people out that tend to swing on the "overdone", making HDR more like a sketchy overdone filter. Any thoughts on that one too?

Hi there. For this pic, I think HDR may be unnecessary as the EV range may not be that dynamic to justify treatment in HDR; simple PP in Photoshop or ACR will do just fine...well, that's if what you're after. Second, I think you may need to do some sharpening after merging as part of your PP workflow. Compositionally, sorry to say this, but there nothing very interesting about this shot.

As for whether it is over- or under done HDR, I'd really say that it is about one's preferrences and "style", and it also depends on the context of the picture or message that one wants to bring out. It's just like a piece of canvas - you decide on the colours, brush strokes, etc. to bring out the essence of your work.

Cheers! Shoot more, post more!

Hi there. For this pic, I think HDR may be unnecessary as the EV range may not be that dynamic to justify treatment in HDR; simple PP in Photoshop or ACR will do just fine...well, that's if what you're after. Second, I think you may need to do some sharpening after merging as part of your PP workflow. Compositionally, sorry to say this, but there nothing very interesting about this shot.

As for whether it is over- or under done HDR, I'd really say that it is about one's preferrences and "style", and it also depends on the context of the picture or message that one wants to bring out. It's just like a piece of canvas - you decide on the colours, brush strokes, etc. to bring out the essence of your work.

Cheers! Shoot more, post more!

Oh great..sure i'll take note and shoot more of course :)

Could u kindly explain the sharpening part? I'm not too sure which part of the picture doesn't appear sharp enough, or the purpose of it in the workflow.

Hmmm, looks very soft. Did you use tripod or hand-held? Sometimes slight misalignment in the shots you're merging can cause the softness and even you sharpen in PP still looks bad.

What lens and camera settings, are you using like large f-stop, f25? This will also cause soft pics due to diffraction.

In some conditions, HDR doesn't work well at all whether overdone or not. I'd say your photo belongs to one of them. But remember, everyone has their own style and my comments are based on my own.

For me, when I take HDR photos, I can't tell if a certain condition makes the subject suitable for HDR treatment. So I just shoot and process it later to find out.

This is one of my old HDR attempts. It was taken in the afternoon and I'd say it was a lucky shot for me. My other HDR shots of other parts of this temple didn't work out. The clouds at the top left portion of the photo is overdone. Back then I haven't learned how to clean up portions of my processed HDR images to make it cleaner.

Last edited:
overdone is fine, if there is a purpose.

but there is no purpose most of the time, at least not one i can discern, so i tend to condemn overdone hdr, because it is just some freak accident that always happens when people just push all the sliders in tone mapping to maximum because they can.

anyways, pegasus777777, your picture is overdone. other than that, verticals are everywhere!

overdone is fine, if there is a purpose.

but there is no purpose most of the time, at least not one i can discern, so i tend to condemn overdone hdr, because it is just some freak accident that always happens when people just push all the sliders in tone mapping to maximum because they can.

anyways, pegasus777777, your picture is overdone. other than that, verticals are everywhere!

Yes i agree, maybe I was just a little anxious of finding a nice scene to try some HDR that I didn't really found a GOOD one.

Thanks for that observation.

As for HDR, i still do stay to the ground where I feel about HDR is
1) about 70% to improve the image quality, constrast, colour tones etc.
2) about 30% to show something artistic that normal photos wouldn't show.

Therefore example of wyred's HDR temple shot fits this bill... the colours are nicer than original, yet u can see some artistic micro constrast in the pillar details which makes it more to "artistic" than completely realistic. Good job.

Its nice learning from each other. :)

Oh great..sure i'll take note and shoot more of course :)

Could u kindly explain the sharpening part? I'm not too sure which part of the picture doesn't appear sharp enough, or the purpose of it in the workflow.

Sorry for not attending to your question for a while already...I was totally zoomed out.

Usually, after merging multiple exposures, the edges within the image tends to be rather soft. Even with the sturdiest tripod, any nano movements (e.g. mirror) will caused some small misalignment. So that's why I usually apply some basic sharpening (think PS Unsharp Mask) to negate the soft effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.