My harddisk crashes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
The immediate damages that come to my mind are: I lost 500+ photos (95% of my total collection) and my 400+ mp3s. And not forgetting my 2 programming assigments that I have spent days trying to debug. Though it is very painful even to type it out here, I want to share this with you. Pls backup!!!!
Go backup all your valuable photos and not wait till you are free.

BACKUP NOW!!

Ouch!

I suppose you have setup partitions on your HDD? Maybe the data in the other partitions are salvageable?

My IBM 30GB HDD "crashed" this year but only a certain section of the HDD was affected. Still managed to save the data that were stored on the other partitions (photos, documents, mp3s etc)

Of course, nothing beats a backup. :D

:Later,

No partition. All gone. Need to start afresh. :cry:

Originally posted by Falcon
The immediate damages that come to my mind are: I lost 500+ photos (95% of my total collection) and my 400+ mp3s. And not forgetting my 2 programming assigments that I have spent days trying to debug. Though it is very painful even to type it out here, I want to share this with you. Pls backup!!!!

BACKUP NOW!!

Is it a total physical crash btw the head and the plate?
If it's not there's easy ways to save at least some of the data.

1. outer PCB problem (the E of the IDE)
buy a HDD of the same model and the PCB can be swapped easily.

2. Fat table corruption due to software or hardware bad sector.
There's software that can scan the whole HDD physically (not looking from table) and save every file where its portion on the HDD is still readable.
I have the software but can't share here.

No partition. All gone. Need to start afresh. :cry:

It sounds like if you partition again the HDD can still be used.
If that's the case and you haven't over write anything on it chances are you can save up to 50-99% of the files with some software.

If you haven't repartition reformat & reinstall windows and etc etc and you still want your data back I can help you.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Poor thing! u mean u never back up? This is terrible!

buy a CD writer. I always keep important files of mine in a CD that cost just RM0.90 per piece (700MB per piece...which I can hardly finish it).

BACKUP NOW!!
I feel your pain...a similar incidednt happened to me while I brought over my HD from Singapore to Melbourne. WHen I tried to plug in the HD in my new computer it just made this click click beep sound and didnt get detected...somemore that was just my storage disk, no OS installed...purely filled with my photos (urgh!), mp3s and cartoons...damn demoralized...

i experience many many different kinds of HDD crashes before.

What HDD are u using???

I have 2 Seagate HDD which have the chip burnt, luckily i manage to get another working PCB and swap it to save my data

Most of the time, it is my partition table corrupted or MBR corrupted by virus. I do have a few software that can reconstruct the partition, but i dun think i can share it here too.

The worst crash that i came across was on my RAID 0 array. 80GB of my important data are gone due to ONE broken stripe. luckily i manage to manually reconstuct the array so only loose a bit of data

That's why now i gave up IDE and go for SCSI which have less chance of crashes.

I also have a few harddisk that have bad sector on track 1, this kind of crash cannot be save already. and the HDD also become useless....luckily that only happens to my 2GB harddisk which is used as backup drive only.

The importance of a CD writer...

Originally posted by zhoufang

Is it a total physical crash btw the head and the plate?
If it's not there's easy ways to save at least some of the data.

1. outer PCB problem (the E of the IDE)
buy a HDD of the same model and the PCB can be swapped easily.

2. Fat table corruption due to software or hardware bad sector.
There's software that can scan the whole HDD physically (not looking from table) and save every file where its portion on the HDD is still readable.
I have the software but can't share here.

But I can't even access it. It has this loud "click click" sound that goes on forever. Can it still be saved?

Originally posted by Kho King
buy a CD writer. I always keep important files of mine in a CD that cost just RM0.90 per piece (700MB per piece...which I can hardly finish it).

I do have a sony cdwriter. But it is not working well. It freezes the comp after I copy some files to a cd. Thus I did not backup that often esp in recent months cos of sch work.

Originally posted by kamwai
i experience many many different kinds of HDD crashes before.

What HDD are u using???

I have 2 Seagate HDD which have the chip burnt, luckily i manage to get another working PCB and swap it to save my data

Most of the time, it is my partition table corrupted or MBR corrupted by virus. I do have a few software that can reconstruct the partition, but i dun think i can share it here too.

The worst crash that i came across was on my RAID 0 array. 80GB of my important data are gone due to ONE broken stripe. luckily i manage to manually reconstuct the array so only loose a bit of data

That's why now i gave up IDE and go for SCSI which have less chance of crashes.

I also have a few harddisk that have bad sector on track 1, this kind of crash cannot be save already. and the HDD also become useless....luckily that only happens to my 2GB harddisk which is used as backup drive only.

I am using western digital which was recommended by the vendor who fixed up the computer for me. Has been using it for only a year.

How long is the warranty of a harddisk? I went to the shop yesterday but it was closed. Will only reopen this sat. :(

I do have a sony cdwriter. But it is not working well. It freezes the comp after I copy some files to a cd. Thus I did not backup that often esp in recent months cos of sch work.

heard many bad news on SONY CDwriter ... CD compatibility issues ...

I m using the HP CDwriter ... last me 2 years liao ... still working fine :)

did you use directcd or other packet CD format? I find them pretty unstable and never use them anymore.

I am using western digital which was recommended by the vendor who fixed up the computer for me. Has been using it for only a year.

hmm...another WD harddisk which died

since u can hear click click sound, means the boot sector/record have bad sector in it, this is the worst case already, no way u can retrieve your data unless u send it to the professional to do it in clean room....such service cost thousands of dollars.

however, you may try boot up again when u are feeling lucky.

I encountered this a sereval times, a died harddisk still can boot up after u left it rest for a few days. so get ready a CD-writer or backup harddisk to transfer all your data when your WD drive can boot up again

hmm...another WD harddisk which died

since u can hear click click sound, means the boot sector/record have bad sector in it, this is the worst case already, no way u can retrieve your data unless u send it to the professional to do it in clean room....such service cost thousands of dollars.

however, you may try boot up again when u are feeling lucky.

I encountered this a sereval times, a died harddisk still can boot up after u left it rest for a few days. so get ready a CD-writer or backup harddisk to transfer all your data when your WD drive can boot up again
Did it go something like "click click beep"? That's the noise my HD is making now...so I can at least hope for a chance to boot up once in a while?

Originally posted by qhelix

Did it go something like "click click beep"? That's the noise my HD is making now...so I can at least hope for a chance to boot up once in a while?

beep?

no beep for mine...just click click click once I start the PC

u can try boot up once in a while see how.....

beep?

no beep for mine...just click click click once I start the PC

u can try boot up once in a while see how.....
Ok, I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Status
Not open for further replies.