My hard drive crashed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Sucks! My PC hard drive crashed right in front of me, it is going to die a natural death soon.....
But but luckily I have backup, in fact I have backup on 2 other hard drives. So I just pulled out the dying hard drive, and sloted in the backup hard drive, and everything is back to normal. All my studio model photos stay the way they were. Cool! :cool:

The morale of this story is: always backup your precious data files, you wont know what will happen the next minute!

Yeah man, backup is essential to computing. I lost 5+ Gigs of Mp3s ... Learnt my lesson.

Astin said:
Sucks! My PC hard drive crashed right in front of me, it is going to die a natural death soon.....
But but luckily I have backup, in fact I have backup on 2 other hard drives. So I just pulled out the dying hard drive, and sloted in the backup hard drive, and everything is back to normal. All my studio model photos stay the way they were. Cool! :cool:

The morale of this story is: always backup your precious data files, you wont know what will happen the next minute!

happened to me a couple of times but I had partition em...
but I did once lost all my precious photo becasue of this.

sad... :(

It's scary the rate that some of the newer HDDs are failing. ;(

One of the reasons why HDDs fail pre-maturely is inadequte heat dissipation, due to the higher spinning speed, HDDs sometimes get pretty hot, and without proper cooling, the HDD can just die. I've lost 2 pieces of 120GB due to overheating. So all users out there do take note of this problem.

For maximum safety or "kiasu", 1st backup on HDD, 2nd backup on CDRs or DVDRs. If possible, 2 copies on the Rs. :)

And if that's not enough, can still run RAID 0, 1, 0+1 or 5, extreme cooling of the casing, etc. ;p

RuthBaby said:
i recently jus bought a 80 gig hard disk.. but cannot detech leh

why ah?
cuz motherboard too old?

aniwae to do it?

bring your comp to SEED and i troubleshoot for u? :D

check your jumper setting lor

then go BIOS and see if it can detect

touch the HDD to see if it is spinning too...soemtimes the power plug may be loose

RuthBaby said:
i recently jus bought a 80 gig hard disk.. but cannot detech leh

why ah?
cuz motherboard too old?

aniwae to do it?
system specs (current hardware setup)? slave master setting correct?

Some of the possible cause to Ruthbaby's problem,

(1) BIOS of motherboard cannot detect the HDD (BIOS too old? HDD capacity exceed BIOS's ability?)
(2) Never set the port (Pri/Sec, Master/Slave) on the BIOS to be AUTO or USER SELECT
(3) IDE on HDD and/or motherboard is loose
(4) Power cable to HDD is loose
(5) HDD is faulty
(6) Master/Slave jumper not set properly, eg 2 HDD set to master on the Pri/Sec channel
(7) Motherboard's IDE driver too old

If it's (1), then change motherboard/CPU, else the rest is easily solvable. :)

AJ23 said:
Some of the possible cause to Ruthbaby's problem,

(1) BIOS of motherboard cannot detect the HDD (BIOS too old? HDD capacity exceed BIOS's ability?)
(2) Never set the port (Pri/Sec, Master/Slave) on the BIOS to be AUTO or USER SELECT
(3) IDE on HDD and/or motherboard is loose
(4) Power cable to HDD is loose
(5) HDD is faulty
(6) Master/Slave jumper not set properly, eg 2 HDD set to master on the Pri/Sec channel
HDD capacity exceed BIOS's ability? <-- i think so!!!!!

RuthBaby said:
HDD capacity exceed BIOS's ability? <-- i think so!!!!!

Your motherboard is a P2 or P3 class mobo? One thing u can try is to download the latest BIOS for your motherboard from Gigabyte, it should then be able to detect the new HDD.

RuthBaby said:
gigabyte!!!!!!!
any idea which model exactly? or at least let us in on your CPU, P2? P3? P4? or which AMD? the age of the motherboard will roughly tell us what the BIOS on it is capable of detecting.

wacko said:
any idea which model exactly? or at least let us in on your CPU, P2? P3? P4? or which AMD? the age of the motherboard will roughly tell us what the BIOS on it is capable of detecting.
i did dat .... the bios given by the website was outdated too .. no use

i think is P2

my guess is that the harddrive jumper is not set that's all ;)

Wah, Ruth so many guys willing to help you. My guess for your problem:
- did you enable the IDE channels? All of them.
- did you plug the IDE cables securely? All of them.

RuthBaby said:
i set the jumper already
it's the bios ...cannot detect the new harddisk
P2 ah? that's quite ancient, high chance that the BIOS can't detect that big a drive. in BIOS is HDD detected in LBA mode?

- did you enable the IDE channels? All of them.
all IDE channels are enabled by default. also the cd-writer is attached there and is working fine.

- did you plug the IDE cables securely? All of them.
yes, like i said, cd-writer is working fine

---------------------------------------------------
P2 ah? that's quite ancient, high chance that the BIOS can't detect that big a drive. in BIOS is HDD detected in LBA mode?

BIOS can't even detect the harddisk ... it got hang there

Status
Not open for further replies.