My Grandfather Road

if they make an exception for her, however noble the intentions, it will open up a huge opening for people to argue that Singapore's laws are unevenly applied, people will start suing or at least accusing Singapore of having double standards, saying their previous convictions for graffiti were also unjust due to to "artistic expression" of their works...

Agree... :think:

What if Ah Long runner start claiming they are 'Artist' expressing their 'Creativity'...

Agree... :think:

What if Ah Long runner start claiming they are 'Artist' expressing their 'Creativity'...

Didn't The Noose make a sketch about this? Some ah long become world famous for his Sydney Pollack-like work?

This is vandalism and I am glad the culprit is caught. Some of the responses here defending the act are illogical and really juvenile.

I agree the maximum penalty is harsh compared to other offenses but the severity of sentencing is a separate matter.

A friend shared this on FB... don't know how to cross-link so I saved it up and post... quite ironical...

7340402754_77a9f097ea.jpg

The problem is NOT the stickers. It's the spray painting on the road. It's hilarious that her supporters are ignoring all this and emphasizing the irrelevant instead of focussing on what she was actually arrested for.

What do you think sticker lady is trying to convey on her works? Obviously not trying to say that' it is really her grandfather road. Trying to tell Singaporeans not to be afraid of doing something you like. Yes, The number of hours spent cleaning up is too much but where is the money coming from? Us. Some of you might think its wasting tax payers money but I find it entertaining.

SG streets are boring imho, she's just trying to give the street a new coat of paint.

If she is telling you to be not afraid, why not do the same thing? Of course the cleaning up is entertaining to you. You are not the poor bugger who has to do it!

Your house is a tad boring. Can I spice it up with nice artwork stating how you owe me money?

Last edited:
The problem is NOT the stickers. It's the spray painting on the road. It's hilarious that her supporters are ignoring all this and emphasizing the irrelevant instead of focussing on what she was actually arrested for.

yes. the stickers have been going on for quite awhile already.

it's only after the stencil spray on the road that LTA drew the line.

but I like her work very entertaining!

if she is sentenced tho i hope it's less than a week.

since u know... if you kill someone from recklessly driving a bus, u only get 1 week jail.

What do you think sticker lady is trying to convey on her works? Obviously not trying to say that' it is really her grandfather road. Trying to tell Singaporeans not to be afraid of doing something you like. Yes, The number of hours spent cleaning up is too much but where is the money coming from? Us. Some of you might think its wasting tax payers money but I find it entertaining.

SG streets are boring imho, she's just trying to give the street a new coat of paint.

I don't care whether it is really her grandfather's road or not. There are lots of roads named after pioneers in Singapore. Do you see their descendants go around painting such signs?

I don't care what she is trying to convey. And as for you trying to second-guess her, I believe you think too much.

Go entertain yourself somewhere else.

Last edited:

Yes... the money come from all of us... which is why I very much prefer the $$$ to be spent on cleaning our already less than clean streets instead of someone's 'Creative Creation'.

Btw... boring streets are No Excuse for anyone to decide its 'OK' to re-paint or re-sticker public area for their own... or other's 'Entertainment'... :nono:

So by your principle, whenever the vandalism is of good entertainment value, the law should be waived?

i agree to the fact that her supporters are blindly supporting her without realizing that the authorities have already given her a little leeway on the stickers.

Singaporean drivers are horrid enough. we don't need spray-painted signs on the road to distract them even further.

Yes, I do believe that there have been a number of images floating around pointing out that no one is arrested for pasting stickers on lampposts, etc etc etc. The logical fallacy in that is that you are comparing A to B when A involves something more than B.

My Grandfather Road markings identified as vandal, woman arrested - Channel NewsAsia

What are the justice for being creative? And i wonder why singapore has so little artists. The vandal isn't some explict image or word, it's a form of art and the government fails to see this. Furthermore she was being sentenced to 3 years in prison! Recent Rochor Road Drunk driver almost killed multiple lives and was only sentenced 6 months in jail. What Logic! What justice! :angry::angry::angry:

YOU have sentenced her to 3 years in prison ?

dodgethis said:
If she is telling you to be not afraid, why not do the same thing? Of course the cleaning up is entertaining to you. You are not the poor bugger who has to do it!

Your house is a tad boring. Can I spice it up with nice artwork stating how you owe me money?

I think my sentenced has confused you. I'm saying the vandal is entertaining not about the cleaning part. O$P$ are words used by loan sharks for extorting money from borrowers. Thus obviously illegal. I know any sort of vandal is illegal if they were not permitted. But is the sticker lady extorting money from anyone?

like what edutilos said. what is the threshold? what can be defined as art and what cannot? by allowing youths to express their creativity freely all over the place, what are you hoping to achieve? a place with lots of graffiti?

you can see the graffiti art all over the place in America. do you think their citizens like it? and where is it usually found? in the ghetto or poorer areas, or the back alleys of metropolitan cities.

and if loan sharks spray paint all over others property, and claim it as a work of art... what do you think will happen?

Well said! But what about this Grandfather Road?

2508191636_f2f9f5f34f_o.jpg

I know any sort of vandal is illegal if they were not permitted.

Doesn't matter if she is extorting money or not. Just like you said, any form of vandalism is illegal. No need to argue over semantics or "art".

If "art" is an excuse and she gets to walk free, every young punk out there will start spraypainting walls, pillars, bridges, etc etc and say "oh, it's not vandalism, it's art!"

Doesn't matter if she is extorting money or not. Just like you said, any form of vandalism is illegal. No need to argue over semantics or "art".

If "art" is an excuse and she gets to walk free, every young punk out there will start spraypainting walls, pillars, bridges, etc etc and say "oh, it's not vandalism, it's art!"

they'll just say that "i'm expressing myself"