My Grandfather Road

Sgdevilzz

May 16, 2010
My Grandfather Road markings identified as vandal, woman arrested - Channel NewsAsia

What are the justice for being creative? And i wonder why singapore has so little artists. The vandal isn't some explict image or word, it's a form of art and the government fails to see this. Furthermore she was being sentenced to 3 years in prison! Recent Rochor Road Drunk driver almost killed multiple lives and was only sentenced 6 months in jail. What Logic! What justice! :angry::angry::angry:

Cause only rich ppl can afford sport car n therefore, u think 'they' will 'play' with them n then 'their' pocket become smaller? The offend done by that woman can be done by any poor ppl n so, they are sending out a warning to us not to give them trouble as they want to enjoy air con n more coffee breaks. No ppl complain, they just slack at one corner.

yea no logic. flaws in the laws

I wonder will any brave souls stand up for this woman?

even if there is, i think they can't do much too.. oh wells

laws exist for a reason. i'd rather have white-washed walls than one defaced with bad english.

most of you might say "freedom!" right now. but what happens when your property is trashed?

Last edited:
laws exist for a reason. i'd rather have white-washed walls than one defaced with bad english.

most of you might say "freedom!" right now. but what happens when your property is trashed?

Nobody likes it when someone trashes their property with vandalism. But if it's something creative and should i say the quite nostalgic word "Your grandfather road", it is something i don't mind. We singaporeans need to widen our creative minds abit. What if no art is left in singapore? Then wouldn't it become a business empire already? We are already half way there and people like the sticker lady sees it, trying to make a change.

kei1309 said:

Most of you might say 'uphold the law, uphold justice' but what happens when someone is holed up for years without a fair trial? They dont care. Wonder how they will feel like if they traded places and gets holed up instead with no one else giving a damn.

Lets see what is her sentence is like... Community Service Order or some fine is quite fitting imho. Im hoping the right people up there will exercise some common sense in this one...

Much faster than finding Mas Selamat. Cluedos to our police.

Can I spray 'Your Grandfather House' on your house doors? I find it's creative! You guys said you don't mind your property being trashed as long as it's creative! Also, can I kick down all the potted plants too? I want to create a messy effect!

Last edited:
Can I spray 'Your Grandfather House' on your house doors? I find it's creative! And you guys don't mind your property being trashed! Also, can I kick down all the potted plants too? I want to create a messy effect!

Maybe set fire to Cars and House for that 'Special Night Photography' effect... :think:

Please keep your 'Creativity' legal... :)

Maximum freedom is achieved by staying within the confines of what is right or wrong be it some laws or norms.
If a train jumps the rail tracks ( it's confine), then it loses it's freedom to move freely and effectively.

Last edited:
if she did it on private property, it would not be unlawful

Can I do the same to your house but with 'Owe Money Pay Money' instead?

My Grandfather Road markings identified as vandal, woman arrested - Channel NewsAsia

What are the justice for being creative? And i wonder why singapore has so little artists. The vandal isn't some explict image or word, it's a form of art and the government fails to see this. Furthermore she was being sentenced to 3 years in prison! Recent Rochor Road Drunk driver almost killed multiple lives and was only sentenced 6 months in jail. What Logic! What justice! :angry::angry::angry:

she haven't sentence yet le.

I understand the sentiments for the petitions going on, but just to highlight 2 relatively high profile cases of vandalism that have occured previously:

Singapore train vandal arrested on return to Switzerland
Michael Fay | Infopedia

Of course for the much earlier case I can't remember how artistic the vandalism on the cars were, nor can I find pictures. The more recent case looked like this:

mrtvandisle.jpg

Naturally there were other factors involved - damaging someone else's car is quite different from pasting stickers or stenciling roads, as is breaking into a train depot - but arguing for what is perceived as graffiti/damage to public property as art can involve walking a rather thin fine line. Admittedly there has to be a balance between allowing for freedom of expression/art and damage to public property.

For example, having a few stencils here and there does not seem to have much public impact - but sometimes it has to do with signalling. If you say it's ok, then what happens when this is proliferated to the extent that we can see elsewhere sometimes? Cleaning up what doesn't look nice involves money..

And at the end of the day, are we going to say that we let it go when the result is nice and funny and agreeable with us, and if it is something that isn't "artistic", the prosecution can take place for all we care? What is the base principle then?

if they make an exception for her, however noble the intentions, it will open up a huge opening for people to argue that Singapore's laws are unevenly applied, people will start suing or at least accusing Singapore of having double standards, saying their previous convictions for graffiti were also unjust due to to "artistic expression" of their works...

Nobody likes it when someone trashes their property with vandalism. But if it's something creative and should i say the quite nostalgic word "Your grandfather road", it is something i don't mind. We singaporeans need to widen our creative minds abit. What if no art is left in singapore? Then wouldn't it become a business empire already? We are already half way there and people like the sticker lady sees it, trying to make a change.

like what edutilos said. what is the threshold? what can be defined as art and what cannot? by allowing youths to express their creativity freely all over the place, what are you hoping to achieve? a place with lots of graffiti?

you can see the graffiti art all over the place in America. do you think their citizens like it? and where is it usually found? in the ghetto or poorer areas, or the back alleys of metropolitan cities.

and if loan sharks spray paint all over others property, and claim it as a work of art... what do you think will happen?

Most of you might say 'uphold the law, uphold justice' but what happens when someone is holed up for years without a fair trial? They dont care. Wonder how they will feel like if they traded places and gets holed up instead with no one else giving a damn.

What does Internal Security Act gotta do with this?
there is a petition here

Human Rights Petition: MICA: Review sentence of SKL0; Arts Censorship in SG | Change.org

if she did it on private property, it would not be unlawful

i think the youths petitioning for it are quite immature in thinking. they haven't thought about the broader aspect of things that will come if this is allowed. you're basically saying "hey, it's ok to deface public property and to deface private property. we'll just give you a fine and perhaps throw you in prison for a week or two."

they may fine the person a small sum, but the cost and man-hours involved in cleaning up the mischief? is it justifiable?