My goldfishes are turning belly up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mich_2103

Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
Hey CSnappers,
Okay, this has gotta be the most Kopitiam thread that I have ever posted... :sweat:

My sister and I just discovered (15 minutes before posting this thread?) that several of my goldfishes are turning belly up because of the lack of oxygen! At least that is what we are assuming. :embrass:

The goldfishes belong to my Dad and I don't know anything about rearing goldfishes, other than the fact that we shouldn't feed them too much. My pump system works in such a way that the water has to "beat" on the surface of the water to create bubbles/oxygen for the fishes. We found out that my Mom put some water in the tank this morning to minimize the sound because all those "beating" can be rather noisy. ;(

It's quite sad to see my goldfishes struggling like that. They are still alive, but struggling. :cry:

Is there any hope they will be better by tomorrow morning, or within the next few days?

For fish hobbyists, what do you do when you find something like that?

Thanks people. :)

{Mich}

usually i will put some salt when i put new water into the tank. i think that might be another reason why ur fishes are "not feeling well"

mich_2103 said:
Hey CSnappers,
Okay, this has gotta be the most Kopitiam thread that I have ever posted... :sweat:

My sister and I just discovered (15 minutes before posting this thread?) that several of my goldfishes are turning belly up because of the lack of oxygen! At least that is what we are assuming.

The goldfishes belong to my Dad and I don't know anything about rearing goldfishes, other than the fact that we shouldn't feed them too much. My pump system works in such a way that the water has to "beat" on the surface of the water to create bubbles/oxygen for the fishes. We found out that my Mom put some water in the tank this morning to minimize the sound because all those "beating" can be rather noisy.

It's quite sad to see my goldfishes struggling like that. They are still alive, but struggling. :cry:

Is there any hope they will be better by tomorrow morning, or within the next few days?

{Mich}

if after toping up the water by your mom and the water don't 'beat' the surface anymore it could be lack of oxygen. Goldfish need a lot of oxygen because they eat and **** alot.
Take out some water so that the 'beating' start again.:sweat: Change a small amount of water and add some salt may help too.
Or could it be too much food liao or did you change the food brand? :think:

sashimi time ? :dunno:

You need to let the new water 'settle' over the night first before putting the fishes in. Tap water has chlorine which the fish doesn't like that's why they turning.

Check the temp of the water. If u feel warm when u put your finger inside, you need to do something abt the water. My gold fish keep dying n I wonder why in the first place. Then I changed the light, the top is more open to air n so, the water temp become lower. Since water temp become lower, all the fish (left 4) begin to eat n swim again. Salt also help but not the normal one that we using. Get those from the fish shop asap. Also get some solution too, ask from the shop keeper which one to buy.

mich_2103 said:
Hey CSnappers,

My sister and I just discovered (15 minutes before posting this thread?) that several of my goldfishes are turning belly up because of the lack of oxygen! At least that is what we are assuming. :embrass:

The goldfishes belong to my Dad and I don't know anything about rearing goldfishes, other than the fact that we shouldn't feed them too much. My pump system works in such a way that the water has to "beat" on the surface of the water to create bubbles/oxygen for the fishes. We found out that my Mom put some water in the tank this morning to minimize the sound because all those "beating" can be rather noisy.

{Mich}

Yo.....what's the outcome. Your Goldfish survive?:p

I would collect & use the rain water, rather than tap water.

The size of your fish tank also dictates the number of gold fishes you are keeping lor.

Some varieties of gold fish are hardier than other.

since serveral GFs are turning belly up .. I suppose is the lack of O²
the current water in the tank should have low/no O²
NOT all GFs can surface on top of the water for O² ,

1)Pump in O² with an airpump + tube + airstone (if u can find one)
if u cant find a pump

2)remove 1/3 of the tank water and replenish with tapwater (add some anti-chlorine if available) to the point where is supposed to be
this is to replenish O² in the water

Not sure which part of SG u live . but the water pH varies in different part of SG but however SG water is safe enough to go directly to the tank w/o leaving them overnight

mich_2103 said:

Put them (the ones the belly up) into another container. Don't just use tap water only you need to add in anti-chlorine.

Dear Everyone,
Many, many thanks again for all your feedback and recommendations regarding about goldfish rearing.

Last night, 4 of them were turning belly-up. 3 of them survived the ordeal but my black goldfish didn't make it.

Isizt just me, or isizt a common sign that black goldfishes are much more weaker than the normal orange-colored goldfishes? All our previous black goldfishes just simply failed to make it.

Maybe my tank is cursed.

Maybe you just need to take better care of them.

Isizt just me, or isizt a common sign that black goldfishes are much more weaker than the normal orange-colored goldfishes? All our previous black goldfishes just simply failed to make it.

Well, normal gold fishes is much tougher than those fancy ones like lionheads, bubble eyes lor.

You din say what is the size of the fish tank and the gold fishes' size too. It is ok to change water regularly provided it is abt 1/4 to 1/3 of the fish tank water.

It is also ok to feed them less.....overfeeding is worst lor.

Add abit of table salt after you add water.....it helps.

Best not to have any ornaments, plants or gravels inside the tanks too. It is harder to keep the tank clean.

Good Luck :)

myth of rearing GFs

pple usually put in 1 black GF in together with few reds or whites ..
the black GF is suppose to help the owner / house to 'block' or watever u call it or remove danger / bad omen etc ...

thus usually they die first ..
I am serious about it :)

Gee...are you sure it's a lack of oxygen which got them to swim topsy turvy? If you were a fish, you would be gasping for air in a normal way and not doing stunts like this. It may very much be a swim bladder disease that I have encountered before. One of the cures was supposedly a short bath in Epsom salt solution (ENO) but I do not have the formula now.

If your tank is newly-setup, let the whole system run for at least 2 weeks before adding fishes (a few every few weeks) and never never use rainwater as someone has posted as our rainwater consists of many dissolved gases that may give your fishes hell, we are not in some clean countyside area where the rainwater is potable. That said, I have not known a single person who has complained at our tapwater (provided they have seasoned the water and added a quality conditioner).

but the fish recover today .. w/o medication i suppose
so don think is swim bladder + afew Gfs happen at the same time

Bacteria growth is very important for the health of fishes in the system.
Is the tank with a filter attached? If yes, make sure the filter materials are never to be wash 100%. Chlorine kills everything, your fishes too.

If without filter, a healthy way is too do less than 20% water change each time. Or for a less than 60L tank, do a 2 cupful(250ml) change daily, it is easy.

Best way to remove chlorine is to splash the water into the tank. Or simply splashing into the pail or cup. Bubbles help to remove chlorine.

Also look out for floating very tiny particles floating around inside the water, if they are presents in large quantity it means the water quality is bad, that's why bacteria cannot hold down the particles....

Good luck!

mich_2103 said:
Dear Everyone,
Many, many thanks again for all your feedback and recommendations regarding about goldfish rearing.

Last night, 4 of them were turning belly-up. 3 of them survived the ordeal but my black goldfish didn't make it.

Maybe my tank is cursed.
glad at least 3 of them survived. take good care of them and they will give u hours of pleasure.:)

simon80 said:
but the fish recover today .. w/o medication i suppose
so don think is swim bladder + afew Gfs happen at the same time

True Simon80 and a point that I missed out..."the few goldfishes".

Status
Not open for further replies.