My girl playing with water

Status
Not open for further replies.

mca75

Sep 13, 2009
West Singapore
3940692041_0cbb2667f9_b.jpg

I just got my first DSLR and starting to explore. Need guidance and CC from fellow member.
I took a picture of my girl when she was playing in Waterworks - Science center.

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Correct setting to capture candid expression of child activity.
Correct setting to capture sharp water splash

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Happines and natural expression of child playing with water

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken with shutter speed of 1/1600 and f/10 exposure, Auto ISO, and focal length 55

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like my girl expression, been waiting more than 15 minutes to get the moment.
The water splash is blur, how do I make it sharp like crystal ?
I think my ISO setting was too high. It turned to 6400 since I left it in auto mode.

Yeah could use a bit of flash or cut down shutter speed. Flying water 1/500 ard enough to get crystal, yours is blur because its not inside the depth of field.

Also, the photo looks a tad dull for a child-happy-action shot, esp since your daughter is wearing an orange top. A tad underexposed perhaps? Maybe can adjust brightness/contrast or saturation in PP.

just my opinion, hope it helps!

Try using an external flash, it would help alot. :)

Thanks for the info. I did not try the built in flash, do you think it helps? I could not afford external flash at the moment :)

Yeah could use a bit of flash or cut down shutter speed. Flying water 1/500 ard enough to get crystal, yours is blur because its not inside the depth of field.

Also, the photo looks a tad dull for a child-happy-action shot, esp since your daughter is wearing an orange top. A tad underexposed perhaps? Maybe can adjust brightness/contrast or saturation in PP.

just my opinion, hope it helps!

thanks bro.
So I may need to reduce the fstop to get high DOF, lower down the shutter, and turn on the flash? Next time I'll try :cool:

to get a wider DOF, you can also move further away and zoom in at the same f-stop. no probs ^^

the overall pic is ok....but the man standing behind, quite distracting......the kids still ok...

You don't need such high shutter speed to get crystal water effect.
With flash or under strong sunlight, a shutter speed of 1/250 is enough.
Lower your aperture value to achieve a bokeh to blur off the guys behind.

Your high shutter speed + Low Aperture resulted in high ISO which contributes unwanted noise into the photo, so it also causes water droplets to be unclear as well.

Btw, its slightly under exposed as well.

Last edited:
thanks guys for all suggestion. I will try to be better next :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.