My friend wanna buy a Digital Video Cam..

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstralPrue

Jan 28, 2002
West
Visit site
hehe, i know not really relevant, but i dunno where else to ask this. Went hunting for one today at SLS, and saw the Sony DCR-IP7BT, the micromv handycam. Was quoted $1.8k for it. very small and handy. recommended a not?

Not recommended if you do the following things.

1. You do a lot of Video editing on PC, putting in transition effect etc.
2. After editing, you would like to convert to MPEG1 or MPEG2 and cut into VCD, SVCD or DVD.
3. Like to transfer around in digital format i.e. AVI format.

The Sony IP series is using a very new format which is suppose to be compatible to MPEG2. We do not know whether this format will become mainstream like MiniDV. I don't think there is any editing tool or software for the IP series format currently on PC. Not sure if the IP can convert and export out the recording in MiniDV format on the fly. Therefore, will recommend Sony PC9e or PC120e (slightly bigger than PC9e). IF the above mentioned does not concern you then the IP series is a state of the art purchase. ;)

Originally posted by Kevin
Not recommended if you do the following things.

1. You do a lot of Video editing on PC, putting in transition effect etc.
2. After editing, you would like to convert to MPEG1 or MPEG2 and cut into VCD, SVCD or DVD.
3. Like to transfer around in digital format i.e. AVI format.

The Sony IP series is using a very new format which is suppose to be compatible to MPEG2. We do not know whether this format will become mainstream like MiniDV. I don't think there is any editing tool or software for the IP series format currently on PC. Not sure if the IP can convert and export out the recording in MiniDV format on the fly. Therefore, will recommend Sony PC9e or PC120e (slightly bigger than PC9e). IF the above mentioned does not concern you then the IP series is a state of the art purchase. ;)

Thanks for the help Kevin! Are the two you recommended more ex than the micromv?

Originally posted by AstralPrue

Thanks for the help Kevin! Are the two you recommended more ex than the micromv?
No, the 2 I recommended are cheapper than the MicroMV. PC9e is about $2000 and PC120e is about $2500 from CP. These are old prices. E-quote CP for the latest price, which may be cheapper. Can PM hedger to ask for a personal review on PC120e as he owns one. PC120e is a good choice if the size is OK for you. The video quality is better than PC9e according to numerous reviewers.

Originally posted by Kevin
No, the 2 I recommended are cheapper than the MicroMV. PC9e is about $2000 and PC120e is about $2500 from CP. These are old prices. E-quote CP for the latest price, which may be cheapper. Can PM hedger to ask for a personal review on PC120e as he owns one. PC120e is a good choice if the size is OK for you. The video quality is better than PC9e according to numerous reviewers.

Thanks Kevin!

One last question : Do you mean to say that the recording from the micromv cannot be converted into mpeg and saved as vcd? sorry forgot to ask this yesterday. I think this is one of the main concerns.

Originally posted by AstralPrue
Thanks Kevin!

One last question : Do you mean to say that the recording from the micromv cannot be converted into mpeg and saved as vcd? sorry forgot to ask this yesterday. I think this is one of the main concerns.
In theory, it can be done. MicroMV record in MPEG2 compatible format and using a conversion software, should be able to convert it to MPEG1 in order to record in VCD. In real life, 2 major problems. The first one is where to find such conversion software. The second problem is Sony claim the MicroMV record in MPEG2 compatible format (called MPEG2 compression format) but it is not true MPEG2. Therefore, how good is the quality after converting to MPEG1 is unknown. In short, I am having doubt if you could convert the MicroMV recording to VCD.

Here is a conclusion of a Reviewer called Robin Liss.
"The DCR-IP7BT is small, small enough to fit in your pocket. The camcorder is designed more for the casual user who is not interested in shooting quality video. The camcorder is so small its hard to shoot stable video with it, and it feels awkward on a tripod. No microphone in or headphone jacks coupled with the top mounted mic means audio is pretty much out of your control. The video quality is certainly lower quality than existing digital camcorders. The camcorder seems more than a gadget than a true "memory recording device". I wouldn't recommend this camcorder with such a high price tag of US$1,699 unless you need an ultra small camcorder for some specific reason. There are other small camcorders available that shoot on MiniDV at higher quality with more features and at a less price. In the end, the DCR-IP7BT is a gadget that I wouldn't recommend."

The rest of her Review can be found in http://www.camcorderinfo.com/display.php3?display=sony_dcrip7bt_camcorder_review

Status
Not open for further replies.