My fren keep telling me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
... to buy Sony W1 because IXUS 30 got no manual controls.
Actually wats the difference?

My IXUS 30 can do this:
AF lock, Fous lock
AE lock
FE lock (Flash Exposure)
3 light metering modes
Turn off AiAF
Turn off AF assist beam
Change AWB (w/ 6 other modes)
EV -+2.0 on 1/3 step
ISO 50, 100, 200, 400
Adjust shutter speed ranging from 1 to 15secs
5 photo effects
Light histogram
Panoramic Stitch Assist
Plus various shooting modes and flashes

So wat features W1 has over IXUS 30? aperture size?
I am just curious.
1 thing for sure, W1 can attach lens.

Btw any way for me to reduce water surface reflection, glass reflection?
Wat if my camera cannot attach polariser?

Another thing is... for such questions where should i post it?
I am newbie... but somehow i scared its like blind leading the blind if i post in Newbies corner.

To reduce reflection, use a polariser. If cannot use polariser, use a polariser anyway... Just hold the filter in your hand and turn it with your hands... Troublesome but still gets you the reflectionless pictures....

erhmmm... the Sony W1 and Canon IXUS 30 are in TOTALLY DIFFERENT CLASS, IMO.

These 2 cams may be priced quite similarly but come on, people who buy the IXUS are obviously looking for a super small, thin and light digicam that delivers great pictures without the need to fiddle with the controls while the Sony W1 is basically a value for money mid range P&S digicam that offers some basic prosumer digicam manual features.

what's ur buget?
what features would u like to have?

theres a lot more possible choices other than the 2 modes mentioned ;)

The "manual" modes that your friend refers should be the Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Full Manual Mode. Em, for occasion shooter, forget it lah. Unless you are going to learn photography as in in-depth learning. Then get one that have the manual modes.

Are the current generation of IXUS faster in terms of shutter lag and AF speeds? The last couple of IXUS I tried were complete crap when compared to the current Sonys.

bernardsia said:
Are the current generation of IXUS faster in terms of shutter lag and AF speeds? The last couple of IXUS I tried were complete crap when compared to the current Sonys.

i read from the online reviews that shutter lag is much improved, due to the Digic II.
AF should be better also....btw new ones have AF assist beam... i'm not sure abt the old ones

But consider this... Sony memory sticks are much more expensive than other memory cards. :nono:

Venom81 said:
But consider this... Sony memory sticks are much more expensive than other memory cards. :nono:

not quite nowadays... i got a sony 256 MS for $120... and thats more than 1 year ago... if get 3rd party MS will be even cheaper. MS still relatively expensive but price is dropping steadily just like other storage media

Venom81 said:

This lousy advice always surfaces. You only need one or two. Unless you go out and buy one every week. The extra few dollars is neglibile.

Status
Not open for further replies.