My first Weevil - Long nose weevil

NovJoe

Feb 15, 2009
~Sunny Little Island~
While I'm on my way to visit my grandpa at SGH on Sat, I spotted 2 weevils at an overhead bridge. By the time I took my camera out, one impatient model flew away leaving its friend behind. As there are many people at the overhead bridge, I just took 2 quick shots and left for the hospital.

For these shots, I used a simple setup which consists of my 7D with pop up flash + DIY diffuser, EF 100mm macro, Hoya +3 filter & Raynox 250 DCR. Settings are, ISO 250 & 400, 1/50, f/20, Daylight W/B, Handheld.

This shot is sharp on the eyes but the body looks blurry which may be due to insufficient DOF.
IMG_9349_s.jpg

Closer shot... (Quite frustrated when taking this shot as it keeps looking away from the camera :sticktong)
IMG_9353_s.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Nice captures Bro.. 2nd shot abit soft though.... :)

Why were you bringing a macro lens to SGH?? heh.. but congrats on your first time!

Looked like it's soft due to handshake, not because of thin DOF.

Why were you bringing a macro lens to SGH?? heh.. but congrats on your first time!

Looked like it's soft due to handshake, not because of thin DOF.

Hahaha... Thanks & noted!

For that day, I am thinking of going for a macro shoot after the visit but ends up quite late so I accompany my gf to window shopping instead :embrass:.

Nice capture! ~ ;)

Nice! I think you use too many filter cos #2 show signs of pic degrade.

Good shots of a LN Weevil.:thumbsup::thumbsup: Never got luck myself. Anyway, good to equip with just simple setup and by getting use to this, most of the time we are able to get great shots. Like yours, I used my 7D and pop-up flash plus Raynox. Sometimes too lazy to bring my MT24.

Nice! I think you use too many filter cos #2 show signs of pic degrade.

Thanks! I think it is mainly my handshakes at 1/50 shutter and being too "gan cheong" as I have been using this setup for quite some time. For #2, I agree with the degradation in IQ as I maxed out the magnification on my filters :embrass:.

Nice capture! ~ ;)

Thanks Jane!

Good shots of a LN Weevil.:thumbsup::thumbsup: Never got luck myself. Anyway, good to equip with just simple setup and by getting use to this, most of the time we are able to get great shots. Like yours, I used my 7D and pop-up flash plus Raynox. Sometimes too lazy to bring my MT24.

Thank chvictor! Yep, it's good to go light sometimes. I'll only bring my full setup if I have planned for the outing, otherwise, I'll usually equipped with my macro lens or 50mm lens with Raynox filter.

Nice shots...nice snout :)

Thanks Kurt! Yep, it has a nice snout.

Last edited:
Thanks MM! Too bad, I don't powers like yours to help me hover around for a better position... :bsmilie:

Interesting find and caught it really closeup. How big/small was it anyway? 1cm in length?

nice capture, wish to see his portrait, I saw this once but could not stalk him, TFS

Nice catch Joe. From now on, when I cross overhead bridge............