My First Tripod for Macro

leowyien

Jan 31, 2010
Serangoon
Just got started into Macro photography after doing mainly streets and after doing a trial macro run realised that tripod is a NEED. (focus keeps running out with handheld motion)

Anyone can recommend a good tripod that lasts? budget would be $75-100, tripod head included. weight of my setup is around 1-1.5kg

cheers

Last edited:
leowyien said:
Just got started into Macro photography after doing mainly streets and after doing a trial macro run realised that tripod is a NEED. (focus keeps running out with handheld motion)

Anyone can recommend a good tripod that lasts? budget would be $75-100, tripod head included. weight of my setup is around 1-1.5kg

cheers

I wouldn't say that a tripod is a NEED for macro. It's more of a preference. So far I haven't used one for all my macro shoots.

I think one tripod you can look at is the Sirui R-1004 tripod

I wouldn't say that a tripod is a NEED for macro. It's more of a preference. So far I haven't used one for all my macro shoots.

I think one tripod you can look at is the Sirui R-1004 tripod

Oh really? Have always admired your macro work!

spree86 said:

Agree. I hate tripods when doing macro. Switch to MF and set your desired mag ratio, bob your head back and forth, and when you get focus.. Shoot. Better if with proper lighting equipments too.

Yup, I also shoot without a tripod.

But if you die die want to use a tripod, get a sliding rail head... Will help with the focus adjustments. :)

leowyien said:
Oh really? Have always admired your macro work!

Thanks, if you do prefer to use a tripod, then like what Rashkae said, a rail will make your life easier.

Just an advice, it's a bit difficult chasing isects with a tripod...trust me.

[video=youtube;wqRn3at0H60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60[/video]

I like his work. minimal gear, great results

I used to think tripod is a must for macro until one day, I brought my tripod along. Then I realise I'm better off without the tripod. Just rock your body to and fro like what others have suggested. Takes time, takes lots of practise but you will get the timing.

Just train yourself to shoot shoot shoot...i have shaky hands, until today, I have not used a tripod nor monopod for macro. Of course, images are sometimes OOF or blur. But like what it was being shared in the vidoe clip, perseverance. :)