Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
studio.jpg

Taken back in September 2001.

Canon EOS 300
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4.0-5.6

Scanned and post-processed in PS.

Comments welcomed.........

feel that the right side is too dark.....light not evenly distributed imho.

another thing , the lady look very unnatural and uncomfortable standing in that posture. :)

Originally posted by superhero
feel that the right side is too dark.....light not evenly distributed imho.

another thing , the lady look very unnatural and uncomfortable standing in that posture. :)

well, i agree...too much power on the flash... =)

as for pose..try to make the model as relax and as natural in their poses...well, this would affect anyone who views the pic..even superhero and i can feel that the gal is very uncomfortable in that pose...

;)

take more control of ur lighting.....you still can have a nice rembrant lighting if you bounce back abit of the light in...try more angle.....the pose ?????....is she comfortable?????

Feels that your light casted too harsh a shadow...personally, I prefer a softer tone...:p

And the reflection of the backdrop is very distracting.

Hello guys,

Thanks for the comments. This was my first studio shoot and it was only 2 months after I decided to take up photography seriously as a hobby.

I personally feel that the flash is too powerful and there is no fill-in light from the right. That's because there is only one flash from the left. Thus the shadows look harsh. I prefer a softer touch.... hehehe

The models are student volunteers for the event held by my school's photographic society.

Mervlam,

No offence and I hate to be a wet blanket but the picture is very poorly taken. Studio photography is a fairly advanced area which requires careful planning especially with the lighting. In your case, the lighting is in a complete, haphazard mess and shows a total lack of knowledge on the part of the novice photographer. The final effect, as you can see, make the subjects very scary-looking and unflattering.

Since you're still a beginner, I'd advice you to start learning the basics of photography first before embarking on a serious study of studio photography. It's not as simply as you think or it looks.

Hi camera1001,

No offence taken :D ... the lightning wasn't planned by me.... it was done by the course instructor... apparently he's an ex-photojournalist...

i'm not very much into studio photography... guess i will have to learn more about it..... :D

Take a look at some of the fahion mag's studio shots, you can see many are out of focus (intentianally or unintentionally I duuno), cropped too much, bad lighting, bad poses. Personally I dislike them.

The lighting set here was actually set initially for male protrait (side lighting to bring out the lines of the face.....) during the introductory course. However, over time, students moved around with the lighting and forgot to use the reflector provided which result in the kind of shot mervlam got....:(

Status
Not open for further replies.