My first steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorts

Mar 10, 2007
SG
P8044492-1.jpg

My First Steps...

I am trying to show how this child's have her first steps in life.

What do you think of this picture? I would love to get feedback on the composition of this image and impact it gives. Did I capture it at the right moment? :) How other ways can I crop it ?

As well as improvements that can be made to make this picture give even more impact and how other ways to frame this image. :D Post processing that can be made to improve as well.

for one, I feel you should be able to see the face.

As for more impact, I feel maybe you can add in a destination of sorts like the parent and shoot just before the kid reaches the parent to get some sense of "special moment"

think should be quite ez to clone out that person in orange since her background is black. :D

Thanks for the comments. How about placement wise? Is the child in the "right" place? :) I'll try cloning the person out.

I agreed with others that:

1. It'll give much stronger impact if the child's face can be seen.
2. The lady in background spoilt the photo.

Additional points are:

1. Think if can zoom in and place the child towards more to the right of the photo will be better for composition.
2. The bigger background trees distracts me away from the child more.
3. Curves adjustment to bring the brightness on the child's body down a little.

The above is just my personal preferences and probably what I would do.

Cheers!

closer crop, even if the child is facing the other way...

remember that most children (esp babies and toddler), get low, get close... :)

hi dorts.

firstly, that's a very nice moment captured. this is how i'd process it - hope you wouldn't mind. :)

P8044492-1-e-c.jpg

it's understandable that such moments only last those few seconds and getting a perfectly framed shot would be difficult. and that's where post-processing comes in. when done well, you could get some really tasteful results. :)

just my opinion, it actually touches me more when I can't see her face...
when I think of the topic "my first steps".. then looking at her walking "away"..
that's actually how a child grow up and be independent and walk on her own..
so it creates a little sad feeling to the pic.
if we can see the girl's face, then the pic will be a more happy one.

again, just what i think only.. i'm not professional..

hi dorts.

firstly, that's a very nice moment captured. this is how i'd process it - hope you wouldn't mind. :)

P8044492-1-e-c.jpg

it's understandable that such moments only last those few seconds and getting a perfectly framed shot would be difficult. and that's where post-processing comes in. when done well, you could get some really tasteful results. :)
i like this version

the cropping works very well

was thinking whether putting the girl to the left of the photo would be better, but i guess it would be a lot less interesting, because in the above case the girl still has space to walk, will actually "fill the space" in some sense

in the other case mentioned the girl will just walk out and disappear :bsmilie: and all the space to her right would seem so empty

if you get what i mean

and yes, PP is always the way to save the limitation of shots

as for face, i find it unnecessary in this, it isn't p&p per se, more like capturing of a moment; without the face i find myself wondering what the expression on her face is, is it joy, fear? with the face all this will be answered and therefore the picture might be less interesting to me

technical wise the highlights on the girl are a little blown, but perhaps it lends to putting attention on her i wonder how this would look in b&w, hrm

ok, my further take from schon's

let me know if you want me to take it down, cheers

1267902007_b1c4936019_o.jpg

Haha... The two cropped version really looks better. :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Definitely do not mind the crops. :) I thought of giving more space around her so to show that she is walking. I have never tired B&W and doubt I can make it.

I've got a little problem. I can't tell if my pictures are nice or not. When I look at other's pictures, I can see whether they are good and attractive or not. But when I look at my pictures, I cannot seem to really tell. Anyone have this problem too? :D

B&W is very easy, trust me
just play around more with channel mixer and toning and you'll get it

the answer to your last question, is to be a lot more self-critical
to judge yourself by the same measure by which you apply to others

Thanks everyone. :) Any other comments you all would like to make?

It wasn't BW you make there rite? Its mono, but not grey....doesn't look BW to me leh....:)

B&W is very easy, trust me
just play around more with channel mixer and toning and you'll get it

the answer to your last question, is to be a lot more self-critical
to judge yourself by the same measure by which you apply to others

the 1:1 crop with sloping horizon looks good. shows the child slowly threading her (i am assuming here) steps.

Somehow I prefer a pano crop to show how far she has walked and the fact that she is alone....pardon me for giving it a try....but I just use the MS Photo editor, so the BW conversion and the "cloning" is not so good.....tell me n I will take it off.

1309778499_6e394243fb_o.jpg

If more of the child's face could be seen, the meaning would be brought out better.
Hm, you can try shooting from different angles :D

It wasn't BW you make there rite? Its mono, but not grey....doesn't look BW to me leh....:)

hahaha, i consider all monotone photos b&w

basically, anything that has gone through desaturation or monochrome channel mixer is b&w in my book, sorry if the definition differs from yours

Status
Not open for further replies.