My first SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanminator

Nov 6, 2006
CanonLenscover.jpg

Hi guys , this is my one of my first pictures on my canon EOS400D. This picture is taken with the kit lens. Please fire away! i took this to give my workstation a more homely feel. so i can feel at home and remind myself about my camera during that brief moment my desktop is revealed.

Thank you everyone in this forum. ive been reading and studying info here for around 2 weeks now and it has really jump started my interest in photography. Not to mention saved me from making many expensive mistakes. 3 days since i got my cam and right now i really understand why some people spend thousands upon thousands and hours upon hours on this craft.

it doesnt work for me...

Hi guys , this is my one of my first pictures on my canon EOS400D. This picture is taken with the kit lens. Please fire away! i took this to give my workstation a more homely feel. so i can feel at home and remind myself about my camera during that brief moment my desktop is revealed.

Thank you everyone in this forum. ive been reading and studying info here for around 2 weeks now and it has really jump started my interest in photography. Not to mention saved me from making many expensive mistakes. 3 days since i got my cam and right now i really understand why some people spend thousands upon thousands and hours upon hours on this craft.

nice, the towel is good, but why a canon cap?

(can say that your towel is not burnt:)) which is good of cos!

how about putting a wedding ring... or... something more significant so that you can really have a very homely feeling in your workdesk?:)

congrats on your purchase

i know! put toothbrush and toothpaste! looks like you woke up and about to prepare for breakfast... then go work...:)

another canon user . :sweat: why not nikon? haha.. :bsmilie:

haha , it was the best price vs performance i could find. as i was offered the whole kit brand new at 1.2k

Sorry if the pics are very noob. because thats exactly what i am~~
Thank you all for looking and commenting!

I believe you have made a decent attempt at composition (rule of thirds), focusing and played with DOF. You could probably have tried a bit harder to get WB right.

Overall its more like a technical test shot to me. Not much of artistic merit to it.

I am sure you will create a lot of beautiful pictures with your new camera in future.
Best wishes for that.

haha , it was the best price vs performance i could find. as i was offered the whole kit brand new at 1.2k

Sorry if the pics are very noob. because thats exactly what i am~~
Thank you all for looking and commenting!

wow, there must be a catch somewhere then.

haha .. no catch la.. she won it in the marathon and doesnt need a new camera.

regarding the WB ... is there a certain standard in photography? .. cus i chose this slightly .. reddish hue to give it a warmer feeling. Is it supposed to look as neutral as possible or sumthing? .. pls educate me.. thank you!

okie newbie.. some advise.. me no expert, but have been reading books n honing my craft 2. Some stuffs to share.

1) read your manual in n out, I only know abt 70% (n used it) of my camera function after almost 2years
2) Borrow books on shooting, especially of important rule of 3rd, composition, break out of the box norm shooting (get down low, high, dirty to get what shots u need, but not at the expense of your precious camera)
3) Go out and shoot, only by practising and practising, can you improve. I got a mate who got a good camera, but has not been shooting much. I hope he's reading this.
4) Shoot pics with a theme. Some pics by looking at it, you know there is something the person wanted to let the viewer know.

As for your this shot, I believe you just shoot happily and enjoy the cool depth of field a DSLR gives you.
Nothing much of interest here. If you are keen in product shot, can get a proper tentage setup which cost like $70
or so from ordering at clubsnap advertiser.

As for the WB, do not let anyone tell you to insist to use the "correct" setting.
You play and control the camera. I only realise this only couple of months back.
Those beginner books will tell you, adjust the WB to what the lighting ambience is.
Wrong, adjust the WB to what you wanted yourself and the viewer to feel.
There is no right or wrong WB. eg. you wanted a model to have a warmer skin tone, adjust
WB to shade. or colder effect when you are at the beach, use fluroscent.

If not, people will not wanted to get filters to add to their lens. Mastering the WB,
you can do away with some of the colour filters, and do minor tweaking on the PC.
Wrong usage of the WB of course, gives you bad effect.
eg. impossible pale overall cast on a model. (almost like a ghost)

For tours n such, where you really have no time, I advise shoot in raw.
Unless you are like me, I dun mind shooting in jpeg, lose of some details, can squeeze more into my memory card, I only printed max A4, once a blue moon in A3.

:thumbsup:

Thank you so much for your advice Bwilly... i will keep all of that in mind and address it one by one.

Ok guys , Ive taken your comments to heart and Ive been practicing.
Hope this shot is better then my previous post.

this shot is from my Dec 06 company trip to Beijing.
taken with my canon400D + Tamron 17-50 F2.8
wanted to capture that Christmas feel and show both states of the river.

summerpalace-frozenlake.jpg

Welcome to the family of Canon. :bsmilie:

The photo overexposed liao.

Not enuff contrast.... and looks one big patch of white.

Just my 2cents... :embrass:

The picture looks quite clean (not much distraction) so you might want to do some minor post-processing to bring out the contrast so that the water can be distinguished (or whatever area is interesting). There seems to be a reddish color cast which you may want to remove.

Thanks guys for your input!
what about this one?
my friend jumped and jumped and jumped until i got it right.
many thanks to him.
happyjump-tiananmen-1.jpg

ahhh so sorry for exceeding the limit.

regarding the two registrations .. erm.. i think i forgot and re-registered.
should i de-register one? or will the admin delete one? Thanks eikin for the headsup

ahhh so sorry for exceeding the limit.

regarding the two registrations .. erm.. i think i forgot and re-registered.
should i de-register one? or will the admin delete one? Thanks eikin for the headsup

i don't think you can deregister yourself, you can pm/email the admin to close one of your accounts.

in future, you might also want to consider starting a new thread for a new picture for critique instead of continuing in an old thread :)

On your canon cap pic, is a nice concept. Just the towel made it a bit messy. i dun like seeing messy (means soiled) towel. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.