My First Shot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

barracuda88

Nov 6, 2008
West
Finally bought my 450D last Wed. Yeap, my first DSLR camera... Couldn't wait over the rest of the week to try it, and this morning finally got to do my "first shot".... Initially planned to do it at East Coast (the typical place), but while driving pass National Stadium, I changed my mind.... The place was deserted, great for first timer like me...

Wah, photography not so easy as I thought... Spent 2 hours there... First hour was still trying very hard to apply the theory, about composition, aperture, shutter speed, iso settings, WB, blah blah blah.. all I had read from the web..... After 1 hour (under the hot sun), I threw away all the theory and just point and shoot... (Once a while, cheat abit and switch to auto mode....)

Well, here's some of my work.... Hope to get some comments, especially in terms of composition...

#1 The first shot....

3050054140_3ca673f795.jpg

#2 Still standing tall....

3049228353_47b4965ae7.jpg

#3 You'll never walk alone...

3050059302_e75bc5af6d.jpg

#4 (OK, actually wanted to give a feel that the place is deserted with all the dried leaves around... not sure if it potrays that...)

3049238983_e9cbed1bfa.jpg

#5 (I really like to have some advise on this shot... Felt something is not right... maybe the flower is too small or something... I have to lie flat on the floor to take this....)

3049260943_05bfe89c9b.jpg

...hmmm... Can't continue... I'm limited to upload only 5 pics...

Cheers!!!

good focus, effort in composing your photos well.

there's inconsistency of the blue sky between your #1 & #2 photo. other than that, it's pretty good for first attempt. keep it up. :)

oh. and you can put another set of pics on another post. cheers. :)

very good first time shots.... you have applied your knowledge well.... hope you know what are the right things you have done... :)

Impressive! Well done.

these really are your first shots?

although nothin spectacular, its really commendable.

#3, repeat patterns

#4, low angle

#5, playing w depth-of-field

watch out for white, un-interesting sky, focus more on what u are trying to focus, remove anything that dun add to the pic.

good try!!!

hmm for #5 you might have felt its wrong as the flower is abit small with a few distracting things in the background (stadium light + bright banner)? You could take a frame filling shot but the stadium might be left out. But overall the picture I think its to combine the image of a flower and the national stadium in the background right? Nonetheless the idea is pretty nice~ Could try moving around for a better capture =P Nice works!

Thank you all for the very encouraging comments... Will definitely like to learn from all the pros out here in the forum :)

Thanks attap seed for your encouragement. Yes, these are my first attempt. A friend introduced me to DSLR couple of weeks back, got me "poisoned" and decided to get a 450D with 18-55 kit lens last Wed. Before that, I live with my IXUS 800 IS P&S cam (mostly for holiday trips and family events).... BTW, is that a marlin you are holding in your icon? Wow, where did you manage to land this fella? Australia?

Now I'm itching to get a EFS 55-250.... I think kanna the BBB virus liao....

Thanks Deming86 for the advise. I think you are right. The background is too much distraction, and maybe if I can zoom in to the flower by another 3 times or more could be even better....

BTW, is that a marlin you are holding in your icon? Wow, where did you manage to land this fella? Australia?

its a sailfish.

caught in ROmpin (border of johor and pahang).

jus 3 hr drive from singapore.

very convenient, very affordable.

After "my first shot" couple of weeks ago, had been pretty busy busy busy... No time to do any proper shooting... Last weekend went to Jakarta for couple of days and decided to bring along my baby (the 450D)... Managed to find some time to do some practise there... Please feel free to give me any comments (I found some pics focusing seems to be pretty bad though... Also color seems to be abit "faded"...)

#1, Usually don't like the window sit when I fly. But since this is the first time I brought this "baby" along, decided to ask for a window seat so that my "baby" can get a shot at it...

3099814751_969cfc3d1b.jpg

#2, Reached the hotel, immediately took out my "baby" again... Color seems abit "white washed" though....

3099824977_07d3af0f9f.jpg

#3, Hmmm... familiar looking bank...

3100681178_1a711ede23.jpg

#4, Building a building in a building ???

3099835867_aa1c4517e8.jpg

#5, Wah.. This is tough... Stood there and took 20+ shots and finally got one almost right... Subject still abit blurr though...

3100691112_ec3649eb11.jpg

#6, little beauty over the congested city traffic...

3099865889_6d25e05da3.jpg

#7, reminds me of kueh lapis... This one the focus quite bad... Not sure if it is my cam? Set to autofocus liao, by right should at least one point of the pic be in focus... But somehow the whole pic is like out of focus???

3099890685_3d089b4349.jpg

#8, Happy couple...

3100739056_4abc40ee6d.jpg

#9, Another flowery attempt...

3099912763_e551d2e6f7.jpg

#10, OK, too much Bintang Beer... Cannot hold the damn camera still... Abit of camera shake... (I think)

3100773684_910dc6d594.jpg

#11, nothing to do at night, so take more pics....

3100786708_3c8ce97805.jpg

#12, I thought Jakarta traffic should be quite bad...

3099970169_d6a670b1c1.jpg

#13, Another look at DBS building... Like got aura surounding th ebuilding like that... No wonder DBS share price chiong so much the last few days :)

3100008849_0598020a3a.jpg

OK, that's all I have for my this round of practise... Again, any comments, feedback, tips or pointers is much appreciated. Cheers!

Good first attempts.
#7 is the one that stands out for me. Though the patterns could come out stronger had the lines been straight.

At that size, it seemed sharp enough to me.
Since its taken indoors, what was the shutter speed? It could be a case of camera shake.

Last edited:
Good first attempts.
#7 is the one that stands out for me. Though the patterns could come out stronger had the lines been straight.

At that size, it seemed sharp enough to me.
Since its taken indoors, what was the shutter speed? It could be a case of camera shake.

Thanks ahbian.... Here's a larger version of the same pic,
3099890685_3d089b4349_b.jpg
My settings are as follows:

exposure - 1/40
aperture - f/4.5
focal length - 35mm
iso - 640

The original size one can be found here in this link (too big so i lnk it instead)... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/3099890685_2f42bbfd27_o.jpg ... I think totally cannot be used, too noisy (I think because of iso), but worse, it's not sharp at all....

Oh before I forget... One more pic on the trip... A terrible attemot, but will like to post it cause it's my son's favourite club....

3099992367_bba580a4a9.jpg

Cheers!!!

hey bro, wonderful first few shots! surely better than the ones i took when i started out! :)

by the way.. can i ask how did you do this shot?

Thanks in advanced and happy snapping!

"#5, Wah.. This is tough... Stood there and took 20+ shots and finally got one almost right... Subject still abit blurr though..."

hey bro, wonderful first few shots! surely better than the ones i took when i started out! :)

by the way.. can i ask how did you do this shot?

Thanks in advanced and happy snapping!

"#5, Wah.. This is tough... Stood there and took 20+ shots and finally got one almost right... Subject still abit blurr though..."

Same technique as shooting a moving target in the army :) .... Get the target in the view finder, hold your breath, follow the target, shoot and follow through... Also I set the AF to Servo, use shutter priority and exposure to 1/20....

Cheers!

nice set bro, you have the skills already, all you need to do is develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.