my first picture of singapore from the river

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyzintan

Deregistered
Aug 18, 2008
www.flickr.com

this is my first picture after getting a dlsr olympus e-300 recently using a 14-45mm kit lens with landscape f3.6 iso 100 at 14mm(28mm)

comment anyone hope to receive crit about this picture which i find it beautifully taken =D

this is my first picture after getting a dlsr olympus e-300 recently using a 14-45mm kit lens with landscape f3.6 iso 100 at 14mm(28mm)

comment anyone hope to receive crit about this picture which i find it beautifully taken =D

Read the FAQ - you're supposed to tell us something about the image. It would also be better if you can link the image directly - you have a URL to your flickr page in the image tag, but what it returns is a HTML document not a JPEG so it doesn't get displayed.

Without knowing your intention for taking that photo, all I can say is that I find it too underexposed and flat, and that having the buildings halfway between sky and water does not make for a very pleasing composition.

That's the pic, TS needs to read about how to post pictures here, in addition to what lennyl said.

2787788402_199f40a5ce.jpg

When I look at this photo, I see a lot but none made this a success. Its the spot you've chosen to photograph the buildings, its a chaotic view. Too much happening but none stood out. The hierachy of elements is missing. Its not a bad photo but its not fantastic either. Even though we probably won't pick it up here but f3.6 is totally out as you need a deeper depth of field for photos like this. That's just fundamental which you have to know. You really want to stop down so that you can achieve uniform focus throughout the entire photo.

i see =D yea =D i get what u mean =D will improve on my picture taking skill =D :think:was wondering if i were to spot on 1 particular building and blur the background will this work ? as what u mention there is too many buildings around the place =D :sweatsm:will learn better shot next round =D maybe i will try to take something in a portrait mode instead of full landscape =D as currently i only start photography about less than 5 days =D hehehe ;)

You are capturing a scene where your subjects are a distance from you and using a wide angle. You won't be able to achieve a depth of view that shallow to isolate any building from its surrounding. Another "need to know" fundamental you need to read up on.

From a technical perspective, to add on to what Kit has said, the exposure also needs quite some work. It could be the monitor at my work place but it looks underexposed from here. Furthermore, the timing at which you chose to make this shot is somewhat less than ideal since it has neither the eye-popping colours of daylight or the brilliant lights of an evening shot. It has nothing eye-catching to make me look at it longer than a glance really.

cool ! exposure taken noted =D should i use a lens hood or without ? as this picture is taken without lens hood will it affect much?
:sweat:

Lens hood is useful in preventing stray light from hitting your lens, causing flares. Don't see the problem in this particular shot but if you have one, doesn't hurt to leave it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.