My first pics with the D800

zoom3

May 18, 2007
Singapore
Hi guys & gals. I have been following the D800/D800E threads for quite a while. So please allow me to share some pics taken yesterday with a one day old D800.

Hope the following pics do justice to the 36MP D800 and keep the desire flames burning strong.

1) As shot in RAW. No processing.
DSC_5464.jpg

2) 100% crop of the eyes. Resized, with no sharpening applied. No other PP.
DSC_5464Eye.jpg

3) 100% crop of the shirt. Resized, with no sharpening applied. No other PP.
DSC_5464shirt.jpg

4) Picture processed to my taste - CS5 & NIK Color Efex. I am sure most of you are aware that if viewing at this size on a monitor, you won't see much difference (if any??) between this and pic taken with a 16 t0 22 MP cam.
DSC_5464FinalA.jpg

5) Cropped of above pic to highlight face only. If this is my primary pic, I would have backed off a little on the PP. But anyway, it shows the resolution power of the sensor, opening up many editing possibilities.
DSC_5464FinalB.jpg

BTW, all pics taken with the 50 1.4G.

All I can say is "WOW". I AM HAPPY

Last edited:
wow i am happy with your choice of model !

Thanks. Not sure which model you are referring to but I am happy regardless :bsmilie:

Most certainly the feminine kind. Although the musculine one is also something that's of great desire.

Indeed WOW..the D800's sensor truely is the leader of the pack..these are times i wished that Canikon is a brand that actually exists :)

Bro,

Photo look great. Any more photos for share?? Thinking to buy this camera too..

Care to share ??

Thanks,

Yes, it is indeed a market leading sensor in the FF market. I find that normally one will need a longer lens like 85 mm & above to pull in the details. The above pic is half body so I am reasonably close to the subject. More challenging will be 3/4 or full body shot at 50mm. Will post another eg when I get home later :)

Do you have a sample using on-camera JPEG? When I look at your samples (RAW & processed), both images lacks color, and sharpness.

Do you have a sample using on-camera JPEG? When I look at your samples (RAW & processed), both images lacks color, and sharpness.

Sorry I don't have any jpg files to share. Oh, really? I tend to go for more natural colours and minimal sharpening... Maybe this is the reason? Especially so if the monitor is not calibrated right, the pic will not look good.

May I know what you are using to viewing? It will be interesting to know so that I can work on future improvements. Always learning :)

BTW, the size of the pics here simply do not do justice to the D800. They really have to be seen at 100% on a 24in plus monitor to get the real impact :cool:

Can you try and crop just the eye alone? i wanna see if i can spot u in the reflection

Ha ha. Is this a CSI investigation ? :bsmilie:

Here u go. 100% crop of the right eye from the first pic. No sharpening applied.

How many shooters can you see ?

DSC_5464righteye.jpg

Last edited:
ehnance :bsmilie:

Ha ha. Is this a CSI investigation ? :bsmilie:

Here u go. 100% crop of the right eye from the first pic. No sharpening applied.

How many shooters can you see ?

DSC_5464righteye.jpg

wonder how high your standard of 'color' and 'sharpness' is...

I think this is a clear picture of the D800 as compared to many I have seen. Good work. Thanks for sharing.

IDK about you, but those images look pretty darn sharp to me. As far as colour goes, I suppose to each his own, but for me, the colour is fine. If you're the type who shoots overdone HDRs with vegetation on radiation all the time then yes I suppose those images look pretty dull in colour

Some people very quick to say not sharp, colour no good, etc. And they never post photo to support their point.

Sigh.

But I do love these photos TS posted. Wonderful shots.

A good product. Will sell well. Competitors will move in fast with their own big sensor models. It is good news for consumers whatever brand you use.

Thanks for all your comments. Always good to know what others are thinking....

Here's another example of the editing possibilities with the D800. I remember being told by a professional photographer that in the heat of an event/wedding shoot, it's better to just shoot wide to capture the moment than to shoot tight and miss it. So I guess they now have a better tool to achieve this. Of course other lower MP DSLRs can also achieve this but I guess it depends on the output required.

Anyway, here is a shot that went wrong but recovered to be a reasonably useable photo. Some PP to remove obvious face blemishes. No skin softening/blurring applied so as to show the level of details capture. Slightly sharpened.

Actually what impressed me most is the level of details captured with a 50mm at the distance I am from the subject :thumbsup:

OK, enough words.

As shot
DSC_5476.jpg

Cropped to a useable photo. Sorry if this cropping is not to your liking ;)
DSC_5476closeup.jpg

Look forward to your comments. Cheers