My first pic posted: Singapore skyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sexalicious

Jun 19, 2007
northeast
This is the first time posting picture for C&C.
This picture is taken outside esplanade at around 5pm in the evening.
As a newbie to photography. would be glad to recieve some actual comments of the picture that i've taken 2 days ago.

Do comment please. :D

1396446135_9c24a21fe2.jpg

Thank you so much guys.

Best Regards,
Rex wan

Thats a very nice sky bro! Get some graduated filters to balance out the exposure and you will have a real winner;). A little too much grass though...

thanks . will notice on that. have eddited post with writeup.

Nice dramatic sky. But a pity you blew the highlights.

Too much grass... I would have preferred to see much more of the sky. Oh, the horizon also seems to be tilted (or are my eyes playing tricks on me)

Too much foreground.
Blown highlights in the sky, might have been saved with a grad ND.
Watch the horizon. Seems to be tilted

Most has been said. Also if the sky is dramatic. Tilt the angle higher to get more sky. User GD + ND+3 to correct the washout sky. Also for C&C, photo must come with a theme.

Photography is an art where you shoot an expression. The thoughts of compostion comes before you press the shuttle. Otherwise, it is an accidental shot. IMHO, this will be not photography.

I too think that this photo is less than desirable for a few reasons.

First, the ambient lighting is really dull which gives a monotonous tone to your buildings.
Not only is the horizon tilting but the buildings are also suffering from keystone effect. Tilting the camera upwards will only make the distortion worse. The foreground is mostly empty with some groups of people scattered around. Nothing standing out that really grabs attention, so I don't see the point of including so much of it. Those 2 figures at the edge of the frame is really disconcerting to look at since they are distorted out of shape with the wide angle lens.

Truthfully, I find this a pretty weak and uninteresting photo. More care should be taken when composing the photo. Will definitely benefit from better lighting.

With the title as "skyline" I think the foreground and the people are major distraction. About the keystone effect, you can rectify it in PP. About the tilted horizon.....I am not sure as the verticle line of the building looks not tilted, may be its the shoreline that is not running parallel with the lens plane...but it does look tilted at first look....so quite misleading I think.:)

With the title as "skyline" I think the foreground and the people are major distraction. About the keystone effect, you can rectify it in PP. About the tilted horizon.....I am not sure as the verticle line of the building looks not tilted, may be its the shoreline that is not running parallel with the lens plane...but it does look tilted at first look....so quite misleading I think.:)

You acknowledged that there is keystone effect but not sure if the vertical lines are tilted??? Did you know they meant the same thing?

You acknowledged that there is keystone effect but not sure if the vertical lines are tilted??? Did you know they meant the same thing?

so quick to whack people as always

i think what he means is that
1) there is tilt in the horizontal plane in the first place, hence the verticals might not be correct in the first place
2) then there might also be keystone effect, i.e. converging or diverging verticals, depending. in this case converging verticals

1 and 2 are not the same thing, i'm pretty sure of that and to properly correct you would have to resolve 1 before 2

read properly, and try to be understanding, and such misunderstanding will not arise, you might end up confusing threadstarter

not too sure about the lighting, i think it could be rendered much more interesting in photoshop using color balance IF the highlights were retained, but i wasn't there, so can't tell. in any case, if highlights are retained and photoshop cannot beautify the photo without overt manipulation - conversion to b&w and toning if desired is always a last resort option

i agree with the comments that the people scattered here and there are absolutely unnecessary - this is not a very flattering view of the shenton way skyline. i suppose you were trying an alternate viewpoint, but unfortunately i suppose there aren't too many, since the scene has been shot to death from almost every angle possible in different ways and light.

keep shooting! :thumbsup:

thanks for all the comments. will take note on the horizon and distortion. As a newbie(3 mths) to photography. i wish to strive too, =)

actually i still dont understand something nightmare.
what these means?
1) there is tilt in the horizontal plane in the first place, hence the verticals might not be correct in the first place
2) then there might also be keystone effect, i.e. converging or diverging verticals, depending. in this case converging verticals

This is the first time posting picture for C&C.
This picture is taken outside esplanade at around 5pm in the evening.
As a newbie to photography. would be glad to recieve some actual comments of the picture that i've taken 2 days ago.

Do comment please. :D

1396446135_9c24a21fe2.jpg

Thank you so much guys.

Best Regards,
Rex wan

I think there's too much grass...

thanks for all the comments. will take note on the horizon and distortion. As a newbie(3 mths) to photography. i wish to strive too, =)

actually i still dont understand something nightmare.
what these means?
when your horizontal plane is incorrect, i.e. your camera is tilted to the right in a clockwise direction

then it stands to say that your verticals are wrong, you need to ROTATE canvas in ps 2 to correct this, but this should not be a mistake in the first place

keystone effect is to do with the fact that your camera sensor may not be parallel to the verticals, resulting in what is called converging verticals

you can read more about it when you google "keystone effect" , usually applied on projectors
to correct this you can use filter --> distrot --> lens correction
use the vertical perspective part to correct this problem

hope this helps, regards

when your horizontal plane is incorrect, i.e. your camera is tilted to the right in a clockwise direction

then it stands to say that your verticals are wrong, you need to ROTATE canvas in ps 2 to correct this, but this should not be a mistake in the first place

keystone effect is to do with the fact that your camera sensor may not be parallel to the verticals, resulting in what is called converging verticals

you can read more about it when you google "keystone effect" , usually applied on projectors
to correct this you can use filter --> distrot --> lens correction
use the vertical perspective part to correct this problem

hope this helps, regards

woah... learn something new today... keystone effect, now i know....

Good advise to beginners.

Hi Kit,

I think there are some misunderstanding here.

1. I am unsure if the horizon is tilted. Look at the red verticle lines I drew....Those near to the middle are quite vertical. So those slanted "verticals" at the side might be due to the keystone effect. To me the method of drawing a line horizontally across the photo can only tell if a photo has tilted horizon can only apply to a photo with real horizon, like end of the ocean merging with the sky.

In this case, you are assuming that the riverbank is the horizon.....did it occur to you that the riverbank may not be running parallel with the camera plane, like on the orange line, point 1 is farther to the cam than point 2? If it is not parallel then naturally it will not be a horizontal line on the picture even when the vertical is straight. An example is in the 2nd pic (a public pic I found in Flickr), if by looking at the riverbank, it is super tilted, but look at the real horizon, then its ok.....so river bank can be misleading.

For this pic, I cannot find the real horizon, so I dare not conclude that it has tilted horizon.

2. If the vertical is straight, then the verticals in the middle of the pic should be straight. If the side verticals are converging upward or downward, then it has a keystone distortion. To me, this pic seems to fit in this scenario, so I think the vertical MAY not be tilted.

Hope I have explained myself. But if I am wrong, please enlighten me....I am still learning. TIA:)

1405087227_ba57fae11b_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koltregaskes/330084330/

Thanks night86mare, hope I have explained myself. But verify me if I am wrong.:)

so quick to whack people as always

i think what he means is that

1 and 2 are not the same thing, i'm pretty sure of that and to properly correct you would have to resolve 1 before 2

read properly, and try to be understanding, and such misunderstanding will not arise, you might end up confusing threadstarter

not too sure about the lighting, i think it could be rendered much more interesting in photoshop using color balance IF the highlights were retained, but i wasn't there, so can't tell. in any case, if highlights are retained and photoshop cannot beautify the photo without overt manipulation - conversion to b&w and toning if desired is always a last resort option

i agree with the comments that the people scattered here and there are absolutely unnecessary - this is not a very flattering view of the shenton way skyline. i suppose you were trying an alternate viewpoint, but unfortunately i suppose there aren't too many, since the scene has been shot to death from almost every angle possible in different ways and light.

keep shooting! :thumbsup:

Hi Kit,

I think there are some misunderstanding here.

1. I am unsure if the horizon is tilted. Look at the red verticle lines I drew....Those near to the middle are quite vertical. So those slanted "verticals" at the side might be due to the keystone effect. To me the method of drawing a line horizontally across the photo can only tell if a photo has tilted horizon can only apply to a photo with real horizon, like end of the ocean merging with the sky.

In this case, you are assuming that the riverbank is the horizon.....did it occur to you that the riverbank may not be running parallel with the camera plane, like on the orange line, point 1 is farther to the cam than point 2? If it is not parallel then naturally it will not be a horizontal line on the picture even when the vertical is straight. An example is in the 2nd pic (a public pic I found in Flickr), if by looking at the riverbank, it is super tilted, but look at the real horizon, then its ok.....so river bank can be misleading.

For this pic, I cannot find the real horizon, so I dare not conclude that it has tilted horizon.

2. If the vertical is straight, then the verticals in the middle of the pic should be straight. If the side verticals are converging upward or downward, then it has a keystone distortion. To me, this pic seems to fit in this scenario, so I think the vertical MAY not be tilted.

Hope I have explained myself. But if I am wrong, please enlighten me....I am still learning. TIA:)

1405087227_ba57fae11b_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koltregaskes/330084330/

As far as I'm concern, I've contributed my bit on this thread. Take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.