My first photo assignments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmak

Apr 16, 2004
London, UK
www.pbase.com
Hi,

Just like to share some pretty interesting things that happened to me last week. I got my first photo assignment from 26th June to 1st July. It is a all-expense paid trip to Khao Laak in the south of Thailand to cover the lives of the children and survivors of the tsunami. The photos are going into a coffee-table book that is going to be published and sold worldwide in collaboration with a teacher from my school and all the funds go to a charity for the children who have lost both their parents from the tsunami. A rather interesting assignment as the pictures needed are the National Geographic type so wish me luck on that!

Also after my first try at wedding photography, I've been noticed in school (I'm already an ex-student though...) and I have my first paid assignment as the primary photographer for a wedding!

I guess I have learnt myself that if you try hard enough you can get somewhere. Not bad for an 18 year old budding photographer eh? hehe...

Wish me luck! If anybody has any advice for me please write in. Thanks!

Cheers,
Nick

You think it's going to be a happy thing to cover a sad event?

I'm happy that you got yourself an assignment, but it's not just going to be tough, I think it's going to be emotional. I don't think I'll have the mood to even announce it.

Lives lost, homeless, hungry, sad...

All the best though. I hope this project will help raise funds once more. :thumbsup:

while u may be happy over the assignment, i hope you can research into the topic and prepare yourself for the hard reality.
i agreed that it aint anything to be happy though...

I would suggest to take a more positive outlook, by for example take snaps of what is happening at rebuilding the lives of these people, that way it serves as a lesson for all who didn't go through all this.........and as a side effect it may raise funds too..........we all know it is a sad event that happened in these regions.

HS

NickMark, I would think that you have your reason for being happy, those ppl there have their reason to be sad, but never the less, if you are going to show them a sad face, it won't be too much of a help for them.

Come on face it, happy or sad, you still need to life on, so bring joy to them and make the world a better place for them. Enjoy your trip, but do be prepared to be emotional drawn in. May you shed joy to them.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice. I do know its a sad event and I've seen the lives of these people before and how horrific it was, because my math teacher was swept away by the tsunami and was found unconcious on the other side of Phuket. Also I live amongst the poorer side of Bangkok and I do understand their condition. That is a reason why I really feel like helping, just like the Habitat for Humanity project I worked on in Korat late last year.

One thing I had realised is that there are people back where I come from who do not understand the reality of the people here in Thailand because there are many who do not live beside these people on a day-to-day basis. My 7 years in Bangkok has really shown me the harder side of life compared to Singapore and that is why i'm really eager to help these people as much as I can.

I just got an email from the teacher who's working with me telling me he'll pay me for the pictures and credit my name on the pictures in the book but I told him to give the money to the children of Khao Laak. I have heard that the area has not been fully cleaned up yet. Phuket is still being worked on...

Regards,
Nick

This is a very good chance for you, Nick.

There're some things you might want to think beforehand, that is what kind of images do you or the editor want to publish in the book? happy or sad? This project no doubt is the latter. However you might want to consider taking positive pictures of them rebuilding their life and houses with enthusiasm and show that they can put the past behind and continue their life with whatever is left.

Meantime perhaps you can browse more national geographic magazine or really expose yourself to many many quality pictures.

behyx said:
This is a very good chance for you, Nick.

There're some things you might want to think beforehand, that is what kind of images do you or the editor want to publish in the book? happy or sad? This project no doubt is the latter. However you might want to consider taking positive pictures of them rebuilding their life and houses with enthusiasm and show that they can put the past behind and continue their life with whatever is left.

Meantime perhaps you can browse more national geographic magazine or really expose yourself to many many quality pictures.
Hi behyx,

I haven't been fully briefed about anything that is needed but I've only been told that the pictures need to be high quality, in terms of image quality and thematic quality too. I'll be briefed about it within the next few weeks and yeap, I've found my heap of NG magazines... But their all in S'pore right now. Crap.

Cheers,
Nick

nickmak said:
Hi behyx,

I haven't been fully briefed about anything that is needed but I've only been told that the pictures need to be high quality, in terms of image quality and thematic quality too. I'll be briefed about it within the next few weeks and yeap, I've found my heap of NG magazines... But their all in S'pore right now. Crap.

Cheers,
Nick

well alternative is here!

My advice is when overseas trip, please bring back up cameras. Since this is a paid assignment, you have to be confident enough that nothing is going to happend to your equipments.

Whenever I go for any overseas trip, I will bring at least 2 DSLR bodies and a SLR camera, a laptop or a portable HDD. Lenses from wide angle to telephoto. Plenty of batteries. At least a small light weighted tripod. At least a minimum of 3 CF/Memory cards. If you are using flash occasionaly, please try to borrow another unit for back-up too.

If you are going shooting outdoor mostly, then a backpack camera bag like Lowepro Computrekker will be useful as you don't really want a sling back as your shoulder will hurt after a long day shoot.

What else........?

Pro Image said:
My advice is when overseas trip, please bring back up cameras. Since this is a paid assignment, you have to be confident enough that nothing is going to happend to your equipments.

Whenever I go for any overseas trip, I will bring at least 2 DSLR bodies and a SLR camera, a laptop or a portable HDD. Lenses from wide angle to telephoto. Plenty of batteries. At least a small light weighted tripod. At least a minimum of 3 CF/Memory cards. If you are using flash occasionaly, please try to borrow another unit for back-up too.

If you are going shooting outdoor mostly, then a backpack camera bag like Lowepro Computrekker will be useful as you don't really want a sling back as your shoulder will hurt after a long day shoot.

What else........?
Hi,

Actually I decided not to be paid for the assignment and that all the money for me (Approximately 15,000 baht) was to go to the charity. I'm bringing 2 DSLRs. My 1DMKII as the main body and my trusty old friend 300D which I'm still getting great pictures out of. My equipment is gonna be pretty 'lightweight':

1) 1DMKII (17-40L mainly)
2) 300D (70-200L mainly)
3) 50mm f1.8
4) 1.4x TC
5) 550EX on the 1DMKII
6) Powerbook G4
7) The assortment of cables
8) 3 CF cards (Need one more CF to make it to three.)
9) All that in my Stealth Reporter 300 (Dunno the model, maybe the equipment junkies can help here. hehe...) or my minitrekker thing.
10) Bringing my 190ProB with me for shots in lowlight. No IS on any lenses you see.

Most of my stuff will be on a belt pack while the bigger sized equipment will be in a van because we'll be going into villages. If I need heavier equipment then I can go back and get it. I was thinking of replacing my 50mm for the 24-70L but if this is to happen I'll need to borrow a lens from someone.

Thanks,
Nick

imo, be it paid or not, since you have taken up this assignment (for charity :thumbsup: ), it is your responsibility to full fill the jobscope.

from your list, only in camera eqpt aspect, i have some question :

1) no lens cleaning stuff?

2) no back up flash?

3) will it be better to bring 24-70 or 28-70 instead of 70-200 (more interaction with the native)?

4) seems like no back up lens for wider side (1x24mm?)

5) canon and sigma 1.4xtc cant be use on 17-40mm & 50mm lens

6) you sure you need 200x1.4x1.6 (1.3) = 448mm (364mm)??

7) sling bag are not the best of choice in this type of assigment (unless you are use to carrying sling bag for long hour say 8hr)

8) is your bag aw series?

9) no portable hhd storage like x-drive?

10) next is hows the electrical supply?

11) i strongly recommand you to bring a mech slr with 35mm lens as a backup, of cause bring b&w film, iso400 (10x), can push or pull better than color.

last of all, you are very kind soul, donating your payment to charity. wish you best of luck. be prepare mentally and physcially.

good luck for the trip brother!
:)
doing charitable work is worth the respect from me :lovegrin:
good luck n have a safe trip :D

u r indeed a kind soul :cool:

nickmak said:
Hi,

Actually I decided not to be paid for the assignment and that all the money for me (Approximately 15,000 baht) was to go to the charity. I'm bringing 2 DSLRs. My 1DMKII as the main body and my trusty old friend 300D which I'm still getting great pictures out of. My equipment is gonna be pretty 'lightweight':

1) 1DMKII (17-40L mainly)
2) 300D (70-200L mainly)
3) 50mm f1.8
4) 1.4x TC
5) 550EX on the 1DMKII
6) Powerbook G4
7) The assortment of cables
8) 3 CF cards (Need one more CF to make it to three.)
9) All that in my Stealth Reporter 300 (Dunno the model, maybe the equipment junkies can help here. hehe...) or my minitrekker thing.
10) Bringing my 190ProB with me for shots in lowlight. No IS on any lenses you see.

Most of my stuff will be on a belt pack while the bigger sized equipment will be in a van because we'll be going into villages. If I need heavier equipment then I can go back and get it. I was thinking of replacing my 50mm for the 24-70L but if this is to happen I'll need to borrow a lens from someone.

Thanks,
Nick

A good vest will be useful. Nothing beats taking out lenses from your vest for immediate change of lenses or batteries or memory cards. It might seem troublesome at first but once you get the hang of it, this vest will help.

Anyway, a vest does not cost that much.

1) As denniskee have mentioned, make sure your lens are clean with the right cleaning fluid ( I think most photographers should have that).

2) Try to find a back up flash if it is possible, since light is the once SOURCE MOST IMPORTANT to expose your subject.

3) I think your wide angle lens is enough, just don't drop it.

4) Not too sure if your 70-200 is useful but bringing along as a back-up is ok.

5) I think your 50mm is going to be very useful in low light situtation.

6) TC is ok but sometimes I don't think you have the time to change it.

7) You sure you wanna to bring your PB unless you need to burn and give them a copy right on the spot. Why not rent a Portable HDD. Your HDD goes missing, it's a few hundreds. If your PB goes missing, it's a few thousands. If you can, insured it.

8) Thailand is using the same voltage with Singapore.

9)Your 190 is very useful but still a little heavy. I would say you are going to use it only during evening and night time and probably about 5-10% usage only but no choice as you sometimes need to capture that moment.

10) Also mentioned by denniskee, if you can find a SLR camera, it would be good with at least 5-10 rolls of films ISO 400-800.

Lastly good luck again on your trip and it's a very kind gesture to donate the money to charity. Please showcase your work when you get back from Thailand.

Oh BTW, if you need any assistance you might want to PM "ParkertR". I am sure you know who he is. He is staying and studying in Thailand. He might give you some tips too along the way.

Congratulations NickmaK!

For a 18-year-old you've done very well. I'm impressed by your portfolio. When the book is published and the photos are good I hope it is going to land you more assignments.

Do you own all those L lenses? :bigeyes:

Bro Nick,

Congrats for landing your 1st major assignment, this is indeed an excellent opportunity for you, and I wish you all the best for your trip. The advise given here by the rest of the bros is indeed very useful, you should take full note of them. I agree with Pro Image on the film slr, do bring one if you can, maybe load it up with black n white film (along with some spare rolls), b n w can make very impactful photos coupled with the right visions. Try to bring backsups of everything you can bring (i.e. cam bodies, lenses, flash, cf cards, batts, also very important a portable storage device or laptop).

Good luck for the trip, this is really a golden opportunity for you, do share some of the shots you had taken when you get back, & take care! :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice! As denniskee and Pro Image had mentioned, I believe I will need a backup of everything, but I have no access to rent any equipment such as the 24-70L. Also I have no access to a mechanical SLR, unless of course I take my Mamiya RZ67 along... I'll need a flatbed truck to carry my stuff man... :bsmilie:Oh yeah, just to clarify something with you guys, I AM living IN Thailand already. Hehe...

To denniskee and Pro Image: As I had mentioned just now, I don't know where to get an alternative of the 70-200L. I guess I'll have to work around this problem. Where can I get a backup flash? :think: And I also think I'll need to bring my PB because someone else is also using the PB for video editing on Final Cut Pro. I'll bring my portable HDD too. If I do bring a mechanical SLR it'll have to be my Mamiya RZ67 because I have no funds to purchase one (I really like the Nikon FM2n though... How much is the FM2n with a 50mm lens?). Maybe I could load it up with about 6-7 rolls of Tri-X 400 and try out. I've done pretty well hand-holding the Mamiya 67 for the whole day before. My 190B is gonna be in the van when I need it and if I really need help to carry it, there are people on the assignment who have been informed that they might need to carry some stuff too.

To bro Gario, Sion, and LazerLordz: Thanks for your luck! I'll need it. And to Sion, I own all the L's, but I prefer to keep them unnoticed on the forum, I'd prefer to have my pictures show what I can do rather than what the lens does for me. :) To bro Garion: Still looking at the 500mm f4L? Its still here in Thailand at good price! I bought the full Wimberley head for it too and a Gitzo 1320 (I think that's the tripod) and its a really good setup. Hope to see you soon when we go birding! :)

can go for cheap cheap pentax k1000 + 35mm or 50mm lens, unless you intention is to sell the mech slr, than fm2t.

Status
Not open for further replies.