My first Pentax.

killjoysg2000

Mar 15, 2007
YES!! i finally got it...my first DSLR.

I was hesitating outside SLR Revolution for the longest time... anyway...i finally decided "jumped" into the DSLR trap

I asked the salesman how much was the AA batteries adaptor and was quoted $70 ...think was abit on the high side. Then he suggested to me to get the spare 3rd party batt instead, said can last longer than AA batts so i bought it. (paid $22 for it), is the 3rd party batt any good? it was rated 6000mAh (a huge difference from that of the original batt, which was abt 1050mAh?)

Do any of you guys get UV filter for your lens? i used to have one for my prosumer camera, as it was a fixed lens, so i just need to get one but now that i am using DSLR, does it mean that i have to get a UV filter for every lens or have to go thru the trouble of switching the UV filter onto every lens i use?

Not wanting to miss out on any new features in updated firmware, i went online to Pentax jp site and saw that there's an firmware update (1.01), mine is 1.0...tried to download and was prompted with error...after many tries, i went to the english site, and could not find any update for the K-r...what am i missing here? Are firmware updates region-specific? Sorry for all the noob questions. Thx in advance for any help.

Last edited:
congrats! :)

actually, to use or not to use UV filter, its up to individual. Some feel that it helps to protect the lens while some feel its not necessary. If you decide to get a filter, get a better quality one or else it might degrade your image quality

As for getting 1 filter for each lens..the lens have different filter size, for kit lens (18-55mm)..it is 52mm and for DA*50-135, it is 67mm (just quoting an eg)..so you cant share the filter between these 2 lens

Last edited:
congrats! :)

actually, to use or not to use UV filter, its up to individual. Some feel that it helps to protect the lens while some feel its not necessary. If you decide to get a filter, get a better quality one or else it might degrade your image quality

As for getting 1 filter for each lens..the lens have different filter size, for kit lens.it is 52mm and for DA*50-135, it is 62mm (just quoting an eg)..so you cant share the filter between these 2 lens[/QUOTE

hmmm...i see, so not all lenses for Pentax K-r (or Pentax for that matter) are standard size.
Seems like i got quite abit to catch up...lots to learn. eg. like what kind of lens i can use, i know the K-r uses K-mount?? so many different kind of "mountains" - mount to know about, what kind of lens uses what mount? but thats a lesson for another day i guess...now i just concentrate on my 2 kit lenses..:bsmilie:

welcome to the pentax family! ;););)
The kit lens are great lens to use!

Last edited:
hmmm...i see, so not all lenses for Pentax K-r (or Pentax for that matter) are standard size.
Seems like i got quite abit to catch up...lots to learn. eg. like what kind of lens i can use, i know the K-r uses K-mount?? so many different kind of "mountains" - mount to know about, what kind of lens uses what mount? but thats a lesson for another day i guess...now i just concentrate on my 2 kit lenses..:bsmilie:

haiz... uv filters for kit lens, seriously - don't bother.

for expensive lenses u feel heart-pain to leave unprotected, get good ones, like B+W (costly but worth it) or it will degrade the image quality.

pentax uses the K mount... its been the same mount for decades so 10, 20 year old lens will still fit a modern DSLR. u have to do things the old-fashioned way (i.e. manual) when u use them but bottom line: they fit.

Welcome to the Pentaxian way of life!

We're all learning & picking up new things as we go along... don't stress so much on the different filters for now, and the mount is standard K-Mount unless you go for much older lenses which are M42 screw mounts. ;)

Congrats on your Purchase and welcome to the Club, Pentaxian.

UV filter for some is just to protect the front in case u drop the lens etc. But if u get the cheapo ones, it will degrade the IQ. Like other said, get the good ones like B+W,HOYA(HD,Pro).

For Firmware upgrade, better be careful. Charge battery full before doing it. wrong move n the camera will have problems.

Pentax uses K-mount. K(PK),KA(PKA),KAF,KAF2. As long u see these words, then u know its meant for Pentax K-mount.

Welcome to the Pentax family. For UV filter, some will says use some will say use a hood better. For me I use a filter but I spend money for a good quality version. B+W, HOYA or KENKO Pro-1 Digital Series.

Google them to find out the differences.

Have fun with your new toy. You already have a good lens on the K-r and the kit lens takes great pictures.

Last edited:
gong xi gong xi.

Welcome to the family =)

Okie, thanx to everyone for your advises and clarification. I am glad that i always get my queries answered in this forum. It really help alot. ;)

And for the warm welcome, i am glad to be a Pentax user...looking at all the help i got from you guys. I will experience with my toy and hopefully, next time, i'm gonna throw more difficult questions at you guys. ;p

Yes, you can share UV filter among your lenses, just buy the largest size UV filter (normally 77mm is enough), then buy step up ring according to your lens, for example 52mm-77mm step up ring for your kit lens.

Welcome to Pentax family :)

You can download K-r firmware here:
http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/media/727744d4c0d6e99cf4f462af18d3b7d5/K-r_firmware_v1_01_Windows.exe

Make sure to read the readme.txt file after you download and unzip the firmware file.

Good luck and happy shooting.

I had updated the firmware. BTW, i cant find the change log for this update, is it almost the same as the update for the K7? It includes support for SDXC cards? if so, maybe i can go and get a SDXC card. ;)

Yes, you can share UV filter among your lenses, just buy the largest size UV filter (normally 77mm is enough), then buy step up ring according to your lens, for example 52mm-77mm step up ring for your kit lens.

CPL and special effects filters I can understand, but UV filter?!? :confused: Please don't... :bsmilie:

This makes sense when you want to share one expensive or specialized filter between a few lenses, but seriously this is too much hassle for UV filters.

Also this means you cannot use the hood and the adaptor at the same time - you will lose the improved contrast provided by the hood.

I will generally only bother with a protective filter if I am intending to shoot by the sea for a prolonged period - sand and wind is pretty nasty. Or if I am shooting close ups of dogs or babies. Normal dust, oil or water won't damage the lens, and using a hood is sufficient to prevent the front from getting scratched.

Last edited:
i gave up on UV filter after sometime, just be more careful with it, nothing has happened to my lens, at least till now. It is a hassle for me to take it out and put it back always, cause i am using a cheapo hoya hmc filter. Its personnal preference, some like it, some don't.

I would use UV filters at some areas.
For eg at the beach, I dont feel too comfy with all the sand and particles blowing straight to the lens.

In the end its down to personal preference.

This makes sense when you want to share one expensive or specialized filter between a few lenses, but seriously this is too much hassle for UV filters.

Also this means you cannot use the hood and the adaptor at the same time - you will lose the improved contrast provided by the hood.

I will generally only bother with a protective filter if I am intending to shoot by the sea for a prolonged period - sand and wind is pretty nasty. Or if I am shooting close ups of dogs or babies. Normal dust, oil or water won't damage the lens, and using a hood is sufficient to prevent the front from getting scratched.

Hmmm...think you are right, i can just get a UV filter to standby for times when i am shooting at open area eg beach. :D