My first Pentax.

Welcome to Pentax.

I realised that I kept taking out my UV filters to reduce flare/glare (due to the timing/conditions I shoot in) when using lenses (and I only bought one for all the lenses I had..), so in the end, I stopped using UV filters altogether.

Hmmm...think you are right, i can just get a UV filter to standby for times when i am shooting at open area eg beach. :D

if u're just using the kit lens, honestly, don't bother. the DAL18-55 is worth all of what? $80 on the 2nd hand market?

a good kenko / hoya filter will set u back by what? $40? not very worth it imo... go cheap? get $10 filter? it'll screw up your images so badly that u'll cuss and swear. :bsmilie:

you will probably have a towel readily on hand at the beach. just use the towel to dust off the camera or bring a blower.

bottom line: don't worry too much abt your equipment that u end up not using it, or end up using it in a very restrictive way that limits your enjoyment. just don't abuse (e.g. taking a non-WR body for a swim) can already.

a good kenko / hoya filter will set u back by what? $40? not very worth it imo... go cheap? get $10 filter? it'll screw up your images so badly that u'll cuss and swear. :bsmilie:

totally agree with detritus. those shop that tell u there's no diff between a $10 filter to a $50-$100 filter is BS-ing.

im also a newbie, so i wanted to know is a expensive filter is needed, therefore i went to get a $10 filter and try it out, straight away i know the diff when i take picture both day n night.

so don waste $ on cheapo filter... :bsmilie:

if it is a poor optical quality lens, the 10$ filter makes no difference. but if u get a Zeiss and use a $10 filter might as well bang wall.