got my Canon A40 today *happy sia*

no retouching
all original source...

and all taken without tripod
only set on the barrier and hold breathe and shoot HAHAHAHA

pls comments

i realize if i use ISO 100 it is brighter but noiser
if i use ISO 50 it is nice but not enough bright :(

btw what software to enable me to read the settings that i used?

downstairs-iso-100-small.jpg

original

pls comment :)

Your pictures are a bit too dark. Try pushing your exposure time to 4seconds and above. For night shots, use only ISO 50, and a long exposure time.

Hint: use manual mode to achive the above mention settings

Originally posted by misato
Your pictures are a bit too dark. Try pushing your exposure time to 4seconds and above. For night shots, use only ISO 50, and a long exposure time.

Hint: use manual mode to achive the above mention settings

i am using M mode

4 seconds ah... ok let me reshot now :p

well...tripod is a must for night shot...

your hold breath and shoot doesn't apply for long exposure even for 1s... :)

Maybe you should use a lower f-stop, say 2.4 or you can push your exposure to 10seconds or 15seconds. Try to get the AF to lock on before you shot. It will result in a much sharper picture.

If the AF cant lock (green box), try moving one of the 3 AF box into a area where there is a mixture of bright lights / dark highlights. Your AF should work here.

Lastly.. as many had said before... a tripod is a must for night shots.

PS: your area seems to have a nice city skyline view. I believe sunset/sunrise from your side should be rather impressive. The city landscape should be able to provide a nice contrast to make a good picture.

Maybe you should use a lower f-stop, say 2.4 or you can push your exposure to 10seconds or 15seconds. Try to get the AF to lock on before you shot. It will result in a much sharper picture.

If the AF cant lock (green box), try moving one of the 3 AF box into a area where there is a mixture of bright lights / dark highlights. Your AF should work here.

Lastly.. as many had said before... a tripod is a must for night shots.

PS: your area seems to have a nice city skyline view. I believe sunset/sunrise from your side should be rather impressive. The city landscape should be able to provide a nice contrast to make a good picture.

wanna come over and we can learn stuff LOL

hmm u are really good..
what is f-stop?

For the A40, f-stop can be changed in manual mode by going into the exposure setting window, and from there the values can be changed by pressing the [display] button.

PS: There is many threads in this forums that explains about f-stop. In short, a lower f-stop allows more light to go to the film thus a short exposure time is needed. But the tradeoff is the DOF (Depth of field). A higher f-stop does the opposite of the lower f-stop.

Effects of f-stop

low f-stop (eg 2.4)
+ 1. less exposure time
- 2. In night shots, bright subjects tends especially lights tend to lose the details after a long exposure. eg signboards
- or + 3. Subjects will be foucs and sharp, but the background will be blurer. In street photography, this can make subject "standout" from the background. But in landscape, it might result in a shot which look softer.

high f-stop
+ 1. darker picture (useful in bright condition, eg under mid day sun to prevent over exposure)
+ 2. opp of low f-stop point 3
- 3. needs a longer time to achive a brighter picture (night shots). solve the problem of low f-stop point 2.

Hope this helps. What i provided is only a very brief effect of
f-stop on the pictures. For a better understanding, do search the forum.

PS: i'm a beginner like you as well.

For the A40, f-stop can be changed in manual mode by going into the exposure setting window, and from there the values can be changed by pressing the [display] button.

PS: There is many threads in this forums that explains about f-stop. In short, a lower f-stop allows more light to go to the film thus a short exposure time is needed. But the tradeoff is the DOF (Depth of field). A higher f-stop does the opposite of the lower f-stop.

Effects of f-stop

low f-stop (eg 2.4)
+ 1. less exposure time
- 2. In night shots, bright subjects tends especially lights tend to lose the details after a long exposure. eg signboards
- or + 3. Subjects will be foucs and sharp, but the background will be blurer. In street photography, this can make subject "standout" from the background. But in landscape, it might result in a shot which look softer.

high f-stop
+ 1. darker picture (useful in bright condition, eg under mid day sun to prevent over exposure)
+ 2. opp of low f-stop point 3
- 3. needs a longer time to achive a brighter picture (night shots). solve the problem of low f-stop point 2.

Hope this helps. What i provided is only a very brief effect of
f-stop on the pictures. For a better understanding, do search the forum.

PS: i'm a beginner like you as well.

wah very detail explaination thank u... :)

my f-stop was set to 2.4
the next f-stop is 8.0 very the dark :)

now i know what u mean...
thanks ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.