My first geotagging device

zane80

May 22, 2009
Singapore
My first Geotagger from e-geotag.com, easy to use and most importantly, it works.
This is a device which I have just bought that may be useful to some of you hunting for a low cost GPS tagging item. Because of this device, I have just started geotagging all my photos for better personal record.

It is the Easytag. It is incredible easy to use, just slide it in the hotshoe and connect the GPS cable and that's it. Btw, you need to be in the open to activate it, just wait for a min in the open and the GPS icon will stop blinking and you are done. Even if you off your camera for a while and switch it back on, it will only blink for a second or 2. There is a back up battery in it.

The smart thing about it is that there is a short stand which does 2 things, it does not bump into my forehead when I am using it and it allows the built-in flash to pop ups thus not interfering my use with the Nikon wireless CLS for off-camera flashes. Even if you attach a flash onto the hotshoe, you can use the "magic belt" to attach it to your camera strap. Just holler me if you wanna ask anything.

I used GeoSetter to see the location of the photo taken and the program uses the Google Map to display the location shot. Very accurate.

6266614410_8b5b7b1236_b.jpg

6266086443_438923643b_b.jpg

6266058013_c6ff82865c_b.jpg

6266057835_c895047947_b.jpg

6266586638_143ec73384_b.jpg

got any images to share on how it looks like when mounted with and without flash ?

thanks interesting item

Looks precarious as it is mounted on an extended stand. You explained already the reason - so will not interfere with forehead and flash.
It can break easily in rough usage. Does the cable plug work with all brands? Or maybe you have to buy specific model for each brand e.g. Nikon. Another for Canon.
What is the cost?

Have you tested the accuracy of the GPS tagging other than in open area. Test in built up area, under shade of trees, outside building but under awning, inside car/bus.
How long is battery life.

What is the GPS sensing chip? GTK or SIRF III

Is there an on/off switch for the device.
If you off it, and travel to another place far away from original spot, does it suffer the problem of remembering the last GPS position and cannot quickly locate new position.

This looks so nice but only for the new Canon top model. And costly US$300? No need for cables.
Canon should make one that can be used for all models.

images

Last edited:
Seems it can not work for Canon.

it uses Sirf IV chipset from its datasheet and that can locate the satellite signal quickly.

As it is no switch, then it can tell there is no programm inside and no last gps position thing. But for a Sirf IV, it is capable of the fast aquasition when using it in some other region.

I got exactly the same model also. there are other version which can track the route and also last memory for the indoor, wired as well as bluetooth. Accuracy is quite good, acquiring signal is also fast (about 1 min from cold start)

For this low cost model, you have to buy the correct cable, as the cable is not changable. But for other mode, the cable are replaceable. More into at http://e-geotag.com/

here is the photo of the device with my camera. Looks abit weird as it is protuding, but as long as it is working accurately with that cost, i dont really care.

geotagging ready ! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
got any images to share on how it looks like when mounted with and without flash ?

thanks interesting item

Here are some images when mounted on DSLR,

6276378158_a056d0791e_z.jpg

6276377572_b3a625ca5f_z.jpg

6276375770_aac25fde0a_z.jpg

6275853797_5356d6ac93_z.jpg

6276374890_31ba9932b0_z.jpg

Last edited:
Last photos

6275851237_44da371790_z.jpg

6276027623_4ca9ce56ca_b.jpg

6276549494_7c73d5863c_b.jpg

6276548942_3773e7d391_b.jpg

Last edited:
Under trees are fine, it is pretty accurate, the 2 photos are taken near each other and the locations of the GeoSetter shows the icon in different areas.

6276470662_d70b10193c_b.jpg

6275946075_91d66e53f0_b.jpg

Looks precarious as it is mounted on an extended stand. You explained already the reason - so will not interfere with forehead and flash.
It can break easily in rough usage. Does the cable plug work with all brands? Or maybe you have to buy specific model for each brand e.g. Nikon. Another for Canon.
What is the cost?

Have you tested the accuracy of the GPS tagging other than in open area. Test in built up area, under shade of trees, outside building but under awning, inside car/bus.
How long is battery life.

What is the GPS sensing chip? GTK or SIRF III

Is there an on/off switch for the device.
If you off it, and travel to another place far away from original spot, does it suffer the problem of remembering the last GPS position and cannot quickly locate new position.

This looks so nice but only for the new Canon top model. And costly US$300? No need for cables.
Canon should make one that can be used for all models.

images

Cool. I could just use my iPhone if I am don't have my DSLR with me. But of cos it will use the power quicker too.

I've used gps4cam on my iphone it works great. Check it out at gps4cam - the geotag app for iPhone. | The app that brings geotagging to every camera!. Highly recommended. Works with any camera, no need to sync with camera date and time.

No, I differ in opinion. I will not recommend this to anyone, at its current capability! Ideas is very good.... tagging s/w is hopeless! good only if your movement is slooooooooooooow...... 'It is a better then no tag' rating only! Not if it is a paid app!

No, I differ in opinion. I will not recommend this to anyone, at its current capability! Ideas is very good.... tagging s/w is hopeless! good only if your movement is slooooooooooooow...... 'It is a better then no tag' rating only! Not if it is a paid app!

Might be good for old folks then.