Status
Not open for further replies.

patpat82

Aug 9, 2008
2744643842_822ff9a308_b.jpg

I will like feedback on
1)the composition.
2) Technical skills on shooting pics like this
I was walking along fullerton today and saw these banners hanging on lamppost.. was tinking how to get a good shoot out of it.

walking in circles around the banner and i saw the flowers below the lamp post so i started to take pictures of the flower and banners together.

Today is my very first day of photo shooting (just bought my D80 2 days ago) and i do find this photo to be very nice..

Pls comment..

thx...
:):):):)

Last edited:
Erm...

No write up is present...what comments would you like to receive?
Read this and this. Basically, there are certain rules and guidelines to posting in critique corner, of which you have not complied to.

Last edited:
Erm...

No write up is present...what comments would you like to receive?
Read this and this. Basically, there are certain rules and guidelines to posting in critique corner, of which you have not complied to.

err... is tis enough? 1st post ever too... sorry..

I've deleted my other thread already...

What flower is it? It would be very relevant if the flower is our national flower.

it's not the orchid. it's just normal flower beside the lamppost.. u can see this flower along the esplanade bridge..

A quick botanical answer, it's bougainvillea. Common flower as mentioned.

I think you're too excited about getting a bokeh :)

so what's the subject? the banner.. or the flowers? right now i can't be sure.. the flower is nothing special from that angle / magnification..

compositionally not very sound in that sense.. i agree that you're probably too excited to achieve bokeh (if you just started off)..

so what's the subject? the banner.. or the flowers? right now i can't be sure.. the flower is nothing special from that angle / magnification..

compositionally not very sound in that sense.. i agree that you're probably too excited to achieve bokeh (if you just started off)..

i find bokeh pics are very nice so i thought taking pics like dat will be nice.. maybe i'm just too excited.. anyway is my bokeh pic okay or it's just another piece of crap?? ^^

I think it's quite common for beginners to get "high" about getting bokeh in their pics. It's perfectly fine. After you have gotten over that, time to look at more pics, find those you like and try to figure out how they are shot. Learn to compose and post process than post your best shot here and let the gurus comment. That's how we all learn.

I think it's quite common for beginners to get "high" about getting bokeh in their pics. It's perfectly fine. After you have gotten over that, time to look at more pics, find those you like and try to figure out how they are shot. Learn to compose and post process than post your best shot here and let the gurus comment. That's how we all learn.

Thanx man.. i'm still trying out the ranges and kind of photos i'm comfortable with.. so far i've tried out lens like 50mm f1.8, 70-300mm, 18-135mm.. i do like the zooming features but 50mm is rather troublesome as it's a fixed distance.. would really wanna try using a fisheye lens.. but is it common for beginners to prefer zooming features over prime lens??

It's not only beginners favor zoom lens, even a lot of experienced photographers are. But still some of the best bokehs are produced by prime lens. If you read up over the net and books, a lot of writers will recommend prime lens for beginners as it will "force" them to learn about composition.

It's not only beginners favor zoom lens, even a lot of experienced photographers are. But still some of the best bokehs are produced by prime lens. If you read up over the net and books, a lot of writers will recommend prime lens for beginners as it will "force" them to learn about composition.

Thanx for the info... will try to "force" myself to start using a prime lens!!

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Since you have not specifically point out what you would like us to comment on,
I would says the apart from the bokeh that you were trying to achieve, the background is still too cluttered. Furthermore the subject do not stands out and it seems to be a wee bit underexpose.
I don't mean to be harsh, just thinking that with a clearer background, a more isolated subject and a stop or two increase on the exposure would generally give you a better pic in this case.

come on guys don't be so harsh and not drown the spirit of a budding photographer. i think he is very excited abt bokeh too:p.. but i thought composition is okay but lack of subject. nt much interesting except the singapore flag at the backdrop

Hi Pat,

Congratulation on ur camera, finding clubsnap and having the confidence to post! Its the perfect season for more photowalks what with National Day and Hungry Ghosts happening at the mo.

My top tip is to use the library and get read through their entire selection of books - any thing by Bryan Patterson & Jim Zuckerman will get you going.

You've started well - chosen an interesting foreground / background to make the reader's eyes dart around the picture. You've used a diagonal from left to right to add a dynamic feel which leads the audience into the picture. The picture has bold colours, red and green in particular are good combinations (the red / purple are not).

It is always hard to get good photos along the Fullerton. The high contrast sky, reflective water and open space-v-close ups means the camera finds it hard to meter. Your photo is underexposed with a big patch of overexposed white.

How to avoid this - Use f16 composing for the sky and flags, focus on the flags (don't include the flowers). Use f8 or f11, focus on the the flowers and keep the flag in the background (cut out the sky altogether / choose an angle that reveals the symbols on the flags without cutting them in half).

The 50mm is an excellent lens, it was my first lens and continues to be one of my favourite. A prime lens is fast which will keep your images sharp and will help you think about your composition.

Keep posting and sharing, Mandy

PS - this might be handy

2370352162_e30628c896.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Pat,

Congratulation on ur camera, finding clubsnap and having the confidence to post! Its the perfect season for more photowalks what with National Day and Hungry Ghosts happening at the mo.

My top tip is to use the library and get read through their entire selection of books - any thing by Bryan Patterson & Jim Zuckerman will get you going.

You've started well - chosen an interesting foreground / background to make the reader's eyes dart around the picture. You've used a diagonal from left to right to add a dynamic feel which leads the audience into the picture. The picture has bold colours, red and green in particular are good combinations (the red / purple are not).

It is always hard to get good photos along the Fullerton. The high contrast sky, reflective water and open space-v-close ups means the camera finds it hard to meter. Your photo is underexposed with a big patch of overexposed white.

How to avoid this - Use f16 composing for the sky and flags, focus on the flags (don't include the flowers). Use f8 or f11, focus on the the flowers and keep the flag in the background (cut out the sky altogether / choose an angle that reveals the symbols on the flags without cutting them in half).

The 50mm is an excellent lens, it was my first lens and continues to be one of my favourite. A prime lens is fast which will keep your images sharp and will help you think about your composition.

Keep posting and sharing, Mandy

PS - this might be handy

2370352162_e30628c896.jpg

Thanx alot on the boost on my confidence.. but for the meanwhile i'll stop my posting till my photography skills improve.. i don haf any photo editing software at the moment. will be getting photoshop soon. maybe some editing will make this pic better.

my friend critised on the blurrness of my background too.. will take note of it the next time i try on any bokeh pics.

a friend of mine told me before dat a photo is cut into a 9 sector grid, the subject mostly will be captured in the cross junction of the grid lines. currently still learning more from this friend of mine. he's quite a good photographer too. ( i was poisoned by him!!) lol..

Thanx again on the technical skills u pointed out. i've noted it down.

Thanx again on the tips u gave.. they're great.. i'll try to get those books..

i'm actually thinking of buying the 50mm lens already!! ^^

Ahquan and manda thanx for the morale booster!!!!

cheers!!^^

Thanx alot on the boost on my confidence.. but for the meanwhile i'll stop my posting till my photography skills improve.. i don haf any photo editing software at the moment. will be getting photoshop soon. maybe some editing will make this pic better.

my friend critised on the blurrness of my background too.. will take note of it the next time i try on any bokeh pics.

a friend of mine told me before dat a photo is cut into a 9 sector grid, the subject mostly will be captured in the cross junction of the grid lines. currently still learning more from this friend of mine. he's quite a good photographer too. ( i was poisoned by him!!) lol..

Thanx again on the technical skills u pointed out. i've noted it down.

Thanx again on the tips u gave.. they're great.. i'll try to get those books..

i'm actually thinking of buying the 50mm lens already!! ^^

Ahquan and manda thanx for the morale booster!!!!

cheers!!^^

dun need buy la.. hehe set ur kit lens to 50mm and dun zoom in or out. do it with ur legs till u are gd than get 50mm hehe.. i didnt do it la but i feel its a gd way to learn!

dun need buy la.. hehe set ur kit lens to 50mm and dun zoom in or out. do it with ur legs till u are gd than get 50mm hehe.. i didnt do it la but i feel its a gd way to learn!

haha.. f1.8 leh!! cheap lens also ma.. hahaa... i kinda like the sound it makes when it auto-focus!! lol... thanx man !!

Status
Not open for further replies.