My first DSLR combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beagal

Aug 31, 2009
Hi

I'm very new to DSLRs and am about to buy my first one.

I've done alot of research and read alot of reviews (probably STILL not enough though) and have finally locked down on my choice.

I just wanted to gather some of your expert views before I went out to make my purchases. This will be for day to day use, alot of indoor shooting, food photography and some outdoor scenic views. I travel alot and there are alot of scenic photo opportunities, so the long range is for that purpose.

Canon EOS 500D
+
Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
+
Tamron AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC (Vibration Compensation) LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
+
Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM

Any views?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Bea

my choice of arsenal will be:

EFS 10-22 (for landscape need)
Tamron 17-50 for indoor
EFS 55-250

do u really need a dedicated macro lens?

P.S. i'm using a Tamron 17-50 on a 1.6 crop body. i often find it not wide enough for my landscape and architecture shots.

Last edited:
Hello Beagal, firstly a warm welcome to you!
I note with a sense of excitement your statement that you are new to DSLR.
Why, if I may ask, are you rushing into three lenses, with two overlapping ones?
Please don't take offence with my questions. I am just asking as a fellow concerned CS member. I thought it would be prudent to start out with a good general purpose one, say a EF-S 18-200 f/3.5-5.6, or for that matter perhaps even just your Tamron 18-270. Once you get a hang of how your camera performs and familiarised yourself with the handling, the next lens would come naturally. What do you think?

Hi Limwhow - Thanks for your concerned questions! I am not offended at all. In fact, I'm glad you asked so that I can explain.

I am going for 3 lenses for the following reasons.

Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) - A light, non intimidating lens for my day to day use, especially for darker indoors and with f2.8!
+
Tamron AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC (Vibration Compensation) LD Aspherical (IF) Macro - For my travelling trips, as I am part based overseas, where I can snap panoramic as well as zoom in on birds and dolphins easily. Plus I tried a very long range zoom before and really love the idea.
+
Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM - For my food photography, which I'm very serious about. And i want to stop relying on my PnS camera's macro to do that for me. Frankly I also tested this in a shop and was totally hooked. Hahaha..

Having said that, I do agree with you that I am "too eager" and may eventually end up with just the 2nd and 3rd lens after testing them out myself at the shops. :)

To Chang KXV, I love the wide range of a EFS 10-22mm and did consider it as well, but a lens with such limited capacity doesn't work for me very well plus it's expensive if it's only specifically for landscape purpose. I decided that the 18-270 was more "my kind" of lens to play with and could become the only lens I carry with me when I travel.

In case you are wondering on how I made my decisions on the zoom ranges I wanted, I had tested the ranges of the different Tamron lenses at this site - http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php (works on IE and Firefox only). It allowed me to adjust the focal length and test the different focal lengths of all the Tamron lenses.

I did not consider the EFS 55-250, but I had liked the EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM. Unfortunately, the price is too steep for me. That's how I ended up looking and comparing with Tamron.

My comments are all my personal ignorant views, I hope they don't offend anyone!

Best regards
Bea

Last edited:
You seem to be a very well informed newbie to D-SLR.

Actually i like your setup.

1. The tamron is a winner, case close for that. Probably the most popular eos mount lens in singapore that is not canon brand.

2. I've heard the 18-270 VC to be still quite sharp at 270. Even though there are overlapping range, this thing will sure be extremely useful especially in broad daylight. Imagine going to the zoo with this thing, wow!

3. Serious macro will need more than a serious lens. Thats a serious lens but you will need to think about a flash.

I guess you know what you are doing and getting from ur initial setup.

You might want to add in a flash 430ex/ex2.

I guess you know what you are doing and getting from ur initial setup.

You might want to add in a flash 430ex/ex2.

Yup. You're the 2nd person to advise me on a flash here. Will note that. Thanks!

I have yet to research on flashes and that is a whole chapter by itself.

I guess I will KIV that for later. I was hoping to be able to shoot in natural light for a while, and familiarise myself with the camera first before I buy an external flash. :)

Yup. You're the 2nd person to advise me on a flash here. Will note that. Thanks!

I have yet to research on flashes and that is a whole chapter by itself.

I guess I will KIV that for later. I was hoping to be able to shoot in natural light for a while, and familiarise myself with the camera first before I buy an external flash. :)

You will not understand flash before fully understanding natural light anyway.

Thus learning flash theory will help you learn natural light faster.

Hi,

Any external flash is better than the built-in one. You will encounter harsh shadows when using the built in flas especially in tight indoors.

If you on a budget, get the 270EX. Else get the 430EX II.

The 270EX can do bounce flash that eliminates the harsh shadows very effectively especiall in landscape orientations.

Cheers

Mahathir

I suggest you use the kit lens first and not buy any of the mentioned lenses. If you are getting the 500D body only, get either the 17-55/2.8 or the 18-270.

Shot with one lens first. Know the camera better, know your own style and what you shoot more, and start buying lenses one at a time after.

Those lenses are not going to be cheaper if you buy them all at once, and they are not going to run away. So, what's the rush? :dunno:

Just a thought about your macro lens: Is 100mm too tight for food? I personally like the 60mm micro (Nikon's one) for its 1:1, and it's not too tight so I can sit on my chair and take photo of my food in front of me. If you use a 100mm, u might have to push it across the table, or you might have to stand up to take it. Alternatively, if you do get the Tamron 17-50, it has a decently close focusing distance too...

Hence, if you're not into insects and flowers and stuff, I'd suggest putting off the 100mm first. =)

wot karnage said.

When i sit down in front of my chicken rice and take photo with my 150mm macro, i get to see all the bumps on the skin~~.

I suggest you use the kit lens first and not buy any of the mentioned lenses. If you are getting the 500D body only, get either the 17-55/2.8 or the 18-270.

Shot with one lens first. Know the camera better, know your own style and what you shoot more, and start buying lenses one at a time after.

Those lenses are not going to be cheaper if you buy them all at once, and they are not going to run away. So, what's the rush? :dunno:

Hi daredevil, I didn't want to get kit lens because I wasn't particularly impressed with them when I first tested them. And almost all my friends who have DSLRs have told me that if I bought kit lens, I would be trying to sell them off very soon and buying the better ones very shortly. In comparison, the moment I picked up the L lenses and USM series, I fell in love with them. Too bad they are so much more expensive!

Once again, I caveat that I am speaking as a ignorant novice and these are just my personal thoughts.

The reason I'm taking the time and effort to read up and understand the different lenses and then building my system quickly (with knowledge, I hope!) is because I am not fully based in SIN and I am here once every 2 to 3 months. But I too agree that buying 3 lenses at a time is being too eager. And I may eventually either get just Lenses 1+3 or Lenses 2+3.

Just a thought about your macro lens: Is 100mm too tight for food? I personally like the 60mm micro (Nikon's one) for its 1:1, and it's not too tight so I can sit on my chair and take photo of my food in front of me. If you use a 100mm, u might have to push it across the table, or you might have to stand up to take it. Alternatively, if you do get the Tamron 17-50, it has a decently close focusing distance too...

Hence, if you're not into insects and flowers and stuff, I'd suggest putting off the 100mm first. =)

Thanks for the tip, Karnage. I'm noting it down and will test both 100mm and 60mm again and see what I'm really comfortable with before getting it.

Last edited:
You could try getting the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8. It has a 1:2/1:3 macro capability if i'm not wrong. Then purchase the superzoom and you should be set for the time being, until you find that macro photography is worth the money you spend on it.

First of all, does your budget allow you to get all your shortlisted equipment? How much are you willing to spend.

Seems like you like to take almost everything, if there is a limit to your spending, what is the main area you like to focus on?

Hi daredevil, I didn't want to get kit lens because I wasn't particularly impressed with them when I first tested them. And almost all my friends who have DSLRs have told me that if I bought kit lens, I would be trying to sell them off very soon and buying the better ones very shortly. In comparison, the moment I picked up the L lenses and USM series, I fell in love with them. Too bad they are so much more expensive!

Once again, I caveat that I am speaking as a ignorant novice and these are just my personal thoughts.

The reason I'm taking the time and effort to read up and understand the different lenses and then building my system quickly (with knowledge, I hope!) is because I am not fully based in SIN and I am here once every 2 to 3 months. But I too agree that buying 3 lenses at a time is being too eager. And I may eventually either get just Lenses 1+3 or Lenses 2+3.

Oh ok. Another thing to remember is lenses usually come with international warranty. The countries you fly to may be a lot cheaper. I fly between China and Singapore a lot, and prices in China are much more attractive. On top of that, you do not have to pay any GST. And the 2nd hand markets there are amazing.

I bought most of my stuff locally because, 1. bodies only have local warranty. 2. This year I am spending a lot more time in SG. I do plan to get a tokina in China or HK. Got a quote for Tokina 11-16, it works out to slightly over 800 SGD, compared to 950 here. Problem was, it was out of stock at that time. And a D90 kit with 18-105 works out to 1520, compared to 1750 here now. And there are tons of D90 stock over there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.