My First DSLR : Canon EOS 1000D or 450D

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliv3

Apr 1, 2009
Hi all,

I'm quite new to Clubsnap. This is my first post and introducing to u all.

I'm planning to start my photography journey by getting my first DSLR in Canon line.
I've been searching and reading several reviews for canon entry level DSLRs. What i've found out is either 1000D or 450D will be the bested suited one for me. However i'm confused with choosing one between these two models.

After i've seen the photos of taken by these two cameras in clubsnap, i feel like output are not much different and 1000D also can do what the other model, 450D, can. It could be my wrong conclusion since i'm a newbie.

One more thing is if i buy 1000D, i can also save a few bucks. On the other hand, in common sense, higher model will be better. So i m having some difficult times to decide which one to buy.

Very much appreciated for anyone who can give me a few advices over this matter.

See you around.

Cheers!

first of all, welcome to cs! ;)

secondly, this type of questions are being asked over n over again lor.

I would suggests that u do a search in here, there is tons of answer waitin for u. :)

Bro straight away go for 40D. But some shop no more selling. Really solid.

Hi Jlkk76,

Excuse my ignorance being a newbie in clubsnap. Sure, i will search around.tnx

Bro straight away go for 40D. But some shop no more selling. Really solid.

40D is out of my budget, bro. anyway thanks for your suggestion. :)

40D is out of my budget, bro. anyway thanks for your suggestion. :)

if budget is a concern, then go for 1000D.

with the xtra cash, u can buy other stuff.

even though 1000D may be a entry cam, but with a gd hand, it can produce gd images. :thumbsup: U can go check out the 1000D thread..

Do note that u nn to buy not just the cam n lens...u still nn to buy the accessories..

Hii, why not wait for the 500d aka the Rebel X1i?
I heard it's not bad!

if budget is a concern, then go for 1000D.

with the xtra cash, u can buy other stuff.

even though 1000D may be a entry cam, but with a gd hand, it can produce gd images. :thumbsup: U can go check out the 1000D thread..

Do note that u nn to buy not just the cam n lens...u still nn to buy the accessories..

I'm pondering to get this one cos my budget is tight. One more question, is it worth to buy EF 75-300 III USM by Purchase-with-purchase option @ $99.00.

Some review saying that this lens is quite crappy and no IS. tnx.

After i've seen the photos of taken by these two cameras in clubsnap, i feel like output are not much different and 1000D also can do what the other model, 450D, can. It could be my wrong conclusion since i'm a newbie.

Congratulations :) - you have found this point without having the camera. Indeed, the person behind the viewfinder has much more influence on pictures than the model number. There are people (some also here in CS) who take stunning pictures with PnS cameras. They just know how to use it.

One more thing is if i buy 1000D, i can also save a few bucks. On the other hand, in common sense, higher model will be better. So i m having some difficult times to decide which one to buy.
Better in which way? Find the points where the 450D is supposedly better and weight them for you. Or bring the points up here to see feedback. Some features are really relevant (e.g. spot metering), others are less (LiveView). Relevance also depends on shooting style.
The 75-300 is nothing to ponder about. From the reviews and feedback here better ponder about the 55-250IS.

Hi Octarine,

thanks for your comments. It is really helpful for my decision.

I'm pondering to get this one cos my budget is tight. One more question, is it worth to buy EF 75-300 III USM by Purchase-with-purchase option @ $99.00.

Some review saying that this lens is quite crappy and no IS. tnx.

if ur budget is tight, just go for 1000D first cos dat cam is quite gd even thought it may feel plastic. Get a grip and it solved ur problem. :devil: Go check out the 1000D pic thread to see why it is quite good.

As for the 75-300mm, I nvr use it b4 so no comment abt it. However, I would recommend u to get either the canon 55-250 IS (abt $300-350) if u got enough $$$ or get the Tamron 70-300 ($180 for 2 hand).

Ah...do rem to get 50mm F1.8 ($120), if u got xtra...it is gd for low light n fun to use.;)

just my 2 cents:)

Hi Octarine,

thanks for your comments. It is really helpful for my decision.

as an owner of the 1000D, I would suggest you get the 450D unless budget is really a concern.
The bad point about the 1000D that I experience when shooting some events are:

1) smaller viewfinder.
2) even though i have relatively small hands, the grip was a bit uncomfortable after hundreds of shots.

Other than that, the 1000D serve me well.
add: the great thing about the 1000D is that you may never need to take ur eye off the viewfinder to make the critical changes- iso, shutter and aperture. i love it for being able to make critical changes using my right finders only.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for your valuable comments and answers. I wil take all of your advices into consideration.

as an owner of the 1000D, I would suggest you get the 450D unless budget is really a concern.
The bad point about the 1000D that I experience when shooting some events are:

1) smaller viewfinder.
2) even though i have relatively small hands, the grip was a bit uncomfortable after hundreds of shots.

Other than that, the 1000D serve me well.
add: the great thing about the 1000D is that you may never need to take ur eye off the viewfinder to make the critical changes- iso, shutter and aperture. i love it for being able to make critical changes using my right finders only.

1) 450D uses the same viewfinder, no?
2) 450D grip is almost similar, no? a BG will solve this problem

I would recommend 1000D, initially I regretted it but after playing I love my DSLR lots! 450D is slightly older than 1000D. Get 1000D, at least next time you want to upgrade, you can go for a semi-pro w/o feeling the pinch. $99 for 70-300mm lens is worth it.

From the specs wise the difference is not that much.

- 450d has a 3" while the 1000d has a 2.5"
- 450d has 12.2 mp while 1000d has 10.1 mp
- 450d has 3.5 fps while 1000d has 3.0 fps

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos450d%2Ccanon_eos1000d&show=all

If the price diff is not too much then go for new 450d, if really on tight budget then get a 2nd-hand 1000d kit. Meanwhile try both at Canon Vivo showroom.

The 450d price might dip a little after 500d launch.

in my opinion, the 75-300 lens isn't that great but it does serve very well in sunny days. If you get the 1000D you could save the money and get better more needed stuff like tripod, shutter remote, bag and all the stuff that is rather important.

And whichever model you choose.. the guys at 450D and 1000D Club are your best bet to learning loads of stuff from and having an enjoyable experience. See you soon!

I would recommend 1000D, initially I regretted it but after playing I love my DSLR lots! 450D is slightly older than 1000D. Get 1000D, at least next time you want to upgrade, you can go for a semi-pro w/o feeling the pinch. $99 for 70-300mm lens is worth it.

The 1000D was released later but has the same technology inside. It is a stripped down / scaled down version of the 450D. The question of resale value is quite useless with consumer electronics and the ever changing features and functions. The next "killer feature" that comes out could cause a drop in the 2nd hand market rendering all expectations of resale value useless. Nothing to bet on. Get the right model now and upgrade if there is a limitation that cannot be overcome.

Hi all,

I'm quite new to Clubsnap. This is my first post and introducing to u all.

I'm planning to start my photography journey by getting my first DSLR in Canon line.
I've been searching and reading several reviews for canon entry level DSLRs. What i've found out is either 1000D or 450D will be the bested suited one for me. However i'm confused with choosing one between these two models.

Very much appreciated for anyone who can give me a few advices over this matter.

See you around.

Cheers!

I think that you should go with the 450D if you can afford it.
450D is a better build Entry-level from Canon.
i remember someone pointing out that 1000D was some over-sized PnS (no offence to 1000D users)
Also, next time when you want to upgrade, 450D would have more resale value
due to better functions and build. (IMHO)

70-300 USM is not really a fantastic lens.
but if you are starting out and you are able to afford it, then go ahead.
once you are more steady go for the 70-200!! hahahaha $.$

personally i wouldn't buy that
i would rather spend the money on prime lenses.
it differs for everyone, so i suggest you go and define your shooting style
and from there you will know what lenses you should purchase.
goodluck!

The 70-200 is a wonderful lens.
It's totally worth the money!
Rajahchindian, i have used it for 1 day.
And i think it's wonderful!
The nikon one that is, but the canon one i used was many months back.
The school loaned it to me for an assignment during christmas last year.
It should be identical in terms of sharpness and everything else!

Marie

Status
Not open for further replies.