my first dragonfly shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantaresg

Feb 23, 2007
Woodlands
Hi, this is my first dragonfly shot. Please comment.

534496767_83359aa14d.jpg

nice. full of details. maybe a little fill in flash to lift some of the shadows.

care to share how you did it? leopard crawl or tiger crawl to reach it? got bitten by ants and donate 1 ton of blood to mosquitoes? :)

A fill-in flash? Maybe that's why I felt that the colour is rather dull? Lack of vibrance? Just somehow felt that everything else is there but something is missing... So should I use the built-in flash for this? Will it cause shadow due to the lens?

the flash is to make some parts of the dragonfly - like eyes and thorax - brighter, and not nec to make the colour less dull. I think the colours are quite acurrate but maybe a little flat. For that you do some S curve tweaking and if still nec tweak with Hue/Saturation. The flash may or may not help to make more vibrant colours.

I see. I'm not so proficient with S curve tweaking. I'll try to take a few shots with flash the next time I attempt this. Sometimes I find that the build in flash tend to over expose the image, even if I used FEC of -2.

Nevertheless, not bad for your first attempt on a DF. My 1st few attempts are unpublishable.

Oh, this was a nice model. It sat there quietly for me to take pictures of it from various angles, and this, imo, appears to be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.