My first dragonfly disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyfoo

Jan 18, 2002
North
willyfoo.com
Finally got a chance to shoot at Botanic Gardens... I'm a insect newbie... and it turned out to be a disaster...

The dragonflies don't seem to like me and keep flying away from me!!! However when Violett shot, they just stayed still for her...

Is it my white bounce flash that intimidated them?? or is it me??

Even if I got some shots, their DOF was too shallow, I shot at F4... any suggestions how to make them better?? I'm contemplating getting a macro ring flash for macro photography...

Anyway... I just got one ok shot...
DSC08095-RedDragonfly.JPG

Originally posted by willyfoo
Finally got a chance to shoot at Botanic Gardens... I'm a insect newbie... and it turned out to be a disaster...

The dragonflies don't seem to like me and keep flying away from me!!! However when Violett shot, they just stayed still for her...

Is it my white bounce flash that intimidated them?? or is it me??

Even if I got some shots, their DOF was too shallow, I shot at F4... any suggestions how to make them better?? I'm contemplating getting a macro ring flash for macro photography...

Anyway... I just got one ok shot...
DSC08095-RedDragonfly.JPG

Even with a nomal ring flash (ie one with ring tube), the lighting will be boring as there's no shadow.
And by using flash you are really buring the insect, not what a considerating photographer will do.
The the best is to use natural light, or ask violett to hold a reflexctor for you.
No offense, I also have did that myself.

Do you always go out shooting on weekdays?
30th Jan I will be free (X-country), want to go shooting together?
(have just invested a lot in macro stuff)

Originally posted by zhoufang

Even with a nomal ring flash (ie one with ring tube), the lighting will be boring as there's no shadow.
And by using flash you are really buring the insect, not what a considerating photographer will do.
The the best is to use natural light, or ask violett to hold a reflexctor for you.
No offense, I also have did that myself.

Do you always go out shooting on weekdays?
30th Jan I will be free (X-country), want to go shooting together?
(have just invested a lot in macro stuff)

Boring lighting :) I've just read some 'secrets' that people in the Sony Talk Forum posted on how to give it dimension... it involves slightly modifying the ring tube.. sounds cool, so I was thinking of giving it a try.

Unfortunately I was shooting at 6pm-7pm that day... so I had to use the flash... however, it was bounced off a cardboard attached to the flash... so hopefully the insect doesn't feel like it's being fried.

30th Jan is ok... Where do u want to shoot?

using natural light is probably the best way to capture dragonflies. but you have to be early!!!

macro ring flashlite ? wow ! can cost almost same as 550EX ... :D

to take nice dragonfly shots , try to go BG early in the morning from 0745 - 0900 hrs ... Insects are inactive in the morning and dragonflies open its wing widely (look nicer)
107-0797_img_thm.jpg

It is quite different to the whole dragonfly clear due to poor lighting (low shutter speed) and its size is quite big . try to shot it by the side

112-1202_img_thm.jpg

and focus its eyes ...

Status
Not open for further replies.