My first Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjboy

Nov 24, 2008
Well hello there Clubsnap members..I'm A feature Photography Student in January 2009..and I love Photography:lovegrin: , I've never owned a camera, I don't know what type of camera I should get :dunno: , My goal is to be a Fashion Photographer , I was told to get a Film Camera,

I'm Thinking of getting one of these

The Nikon FM10
2ptsdxg.gif

or Olympus-OM3
5ybsj.jpg

Now I'm still confused on what kinda camera I should get.I also really really love Lomography.

Any advice on what kind of camera a first timer should get?

The Nikon FM10 is a manual film camera, meaning you need to set everything yourself and wind the film yourself also. I last used this camera some 10 years back when I was still using film...

But you have to take note that it is a very steep learning curve when u use a manual film camera. Also the film and processing costs will kill you if you keep taking lousy shots. The flipside to this is that you will be forced to really learn how to take good photos very quickly.

Since you have never owned any camera before, I would suggest getting a 2nd/3rd hand DSLR. Learning curve is much less since you can see what you have taken immediately.

Last edited:
Well hello there Clubsnap members..I'm A feature Photography Student in January 2009..and I love Photography:lovegrin: , I've never owned a camera, I don't know what type of camera I should get :dunno: , My goal is to be a Fashion Photographer , I was told to get a Film Camera,

Errr. You've never owned a camera, don't know what type to get and yet you're a "feature Photography Student"?

Who told you to get a film camera? Sure, film can be fun and classic, but fashion photographers nowadays use mainly Hasselblad medium format with a digital back.

Realistically, get yourself an entry-level DSLR at a price point you can afford. Save some money to get decent lenses (which you would need on film too) and you're all set.

Errr. You've never owned a camera, don't know what type to get and yet you're a "feature Photography Student"?

Who told you to get a film camera? Sure, film can be fun and classic, but fashion photographers nowadays use mainly Hasselblad medium format with a digital back.

Realistically, get yourself an entry-level DSLR at a price point you can afford. Save some money to get decent lenses (which you would need on film too) and you're all set.

I somehow doubt many students will be able to afford the Hasselblad medium format with digital back...:bigeyes: :sweatsm:

I somehow doubt many students will be able to afford the Hasselblad medium format with digital back...:bigeyes: :sweatsm:

Exactly. ;)

Hence my next paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.