My first Caffenol

Nice try!
Very nice results, esp the ones in the 1st attempt.

You can buy Arm & Hammer washing soda at certain Cold Storage outlets e.g. Jelita. Also available at other supermarkets such as Tanglin Mall, Jason's (at Claymore) and market place at Paragon. It is in the laundry section and looks similar to the packaging of the baking soda shown in Oceanpriest's message above. Less than S$10 per box.

You can buy powdered Vitamin C from a local seller on eBay Singapore.

As for Potassium Bromide, I purchased mine from a Russian seller on eBay US. No problem with customs or postal authorities. There's also a Korean seller who sells the chemical but in larger bottles.

Thanks rain-man. will go to those places and stock few boxes. was really frustrated searching it. tried holland village, plaza singapura, vivocity, IMM, still couldn't find washing soda. should ask you where to find washing soda when we met at Adelphi last time :sweat:

Nice try!
Very nice results, esp the ones in the 1st attempt.

Thanks JK. I developed 12-15 frames for my 1st attempt, for 2nd attempt I developed full 36 frames. Perhaps I need to adjust the timing/temp/developer/agitation, especially the baking soda since I don't know how much washing soda was converted from baking soda when I ovened it.

hi

may i know if this Caffenol method will be cheaper than buying chemical from Ruby?

going to shoot some bw film this weekend and wan to save cost on development..

hi

may i know if this Caffenol method will be cheaper than buying chemical from Ruby?

going to shoot some bw film this weekend and wan to save cost on development..

Caffenol is never cheap, IMHO. Rodinal/HC-110/D76 are cheaper.

Caffenol is never cheap, IMHO. Rodinal/HC-110/D76 are cheaper.

went to ruby just now and got the entire kit to do development.. developer and fixer are both Ilford...

i guess they are more expensive than Rodinal/HC-110/D76.. should have read your post first.. ;p

so Rodinal/HC-110/D76 are also available in Ruby?

sfoto100 said:
went to ruby just now and got the entire kit to do development.. developer and fixer are both Ilford...

i guess they are more expensive than Rodinal/HC-110/D76.. should have read your post first.. ;p

so Rodinal/HC-110/D76 are also available in Ruby?

ilford ddx? fine grain developer for pushing tri-x to 1600 ;)

Hc-110 yes
Rodinal no
D76 not sure

ilford ddx? fine grain developer for pushing tri-x to 1600 ;)

Hc-110 yes
Rodinal no
D76 not sure

finally i manage to know what is meant by push ...:sweat:

yes i bought the Ilford DDX... i supposed it is one of the better developer, am i right?

so i guess the price for those 3 will be much lower than Ilford DDX. hmm.. i think i should have bought those cheaper one as i have no experience in film development at all...

should i go get those cheaper ones and keep my Ilford DDX for the time being?

so u mean Ilford DDX can still produce fine grain even when push to 1600 from iso100?

finally i manage to know what is meant by push ...:sweat:

yes i bought the Ilford DDX... i supposed it is one of the better developer, am i right?

so i guess the price for those 3 will be much lower than Ilford DDX. hmm.. i think i should have bought those cheaper one as i have no experience in film development at all...

should i go get those cheaper ones and keep my Ilford DDX for the time being?

so u mean Ilford DDX can still produce fine grain even when push to 1600 from iso100?

Yes, ilford DDX is good fine grain developer, but they said the shelf life is not so good as rodinal/hc-110. Ilford said once you opened, you need to finish it within 3 months. Try move it to smaller size bottle to prevent oxidation, if possible.

Some people said it's ok to keep > 3 months. :dunno:
Ilford DDX shelf life. - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum

You can reuse your DD-X up to 3-5 cycles, or use it as one-shot developer.

There's a limit for pushing. 2 stops is considered ok.

Here's Tri-X 400 pushed to 1600 using DD-X

Scan-110830-0033.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Oceanpriest,
We met while collecting our MO at Raytoei. I am new to self development of film and yr caffenol process is superb. May I know if the above are the only substances needed to develop your film via caffenol? I am unable to attempt using any chemicals as I hv pets at home. Perhaps caffenol could be an alternative for me to try out. Your advise much appreciated.

Sorry to dig old thread. Recently, I found out that kitchen salt can be used as fixer too.

Caffenol: Fixer 2 - errare humanum est
Flickr: Discussing Testing kitchen salt as fixer in Caffenol

Brewing caffenol again after almost 1 year. Last year coffee went bad already, got mould, so get new bottle of nescafe.

adjust for 500ml (can develop 2 rolls in stainless tank)
1. 500 ml water
2. 27 gram washing soda (found this at cold storage next to botanic garden mrt)
3. 8 gram vitamin-c
4. 20 gram nescafe classic
5. 0.5 gram potassium bromide
develop for 15 mins at 20 celcius. agitation for first 30 seconds, then 3 inversions each minute.

scan120916_003.jpg

scan120916_022.jpg

expired fomapan 100

will try tmax100 next :)

oceanpriest said:
Brewing caffenol again after almost 1 year. Last year coffee went bad already, got mould, so get new bottle of nescafe.

adjust for 500ml (can develop 2 rolls in stainless tank)
1. 500 ml water
2. 27 gram washing soda (found this at cold storage next to botanic garden mrt)
3. 8 gram vitamin-c
4. 20 gram nescafe classic
5. 0.5 gram potassium bromide
develop for 15 mins at 20 celcius. agitation for first 30 seconds, then 3 inversions each minute.

expired fomapan 100

will try tmax100 next :)

Very cool!

Coffee to you is for experimenting not for drinking. :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

experiment again with different films, while recipe and timing is still same: caffenol C-M develop for 15 mins

expired legacy pro 100 (acros) :

expired lucky shd 100 :
scan121006_023.jpg

scan121006_024.jpg

scan121006_007.jpg

tonality with caffenol is great, i love this developer...

oceanpriest:

thanks for all your experimentation....

one question: does salt fix well ? can i use it for normal developer fixer ?

raytoei

oceanpriest:

thanks for all your experimentation....

one question: does salt fix well ? can i use it for normal developer fixer ?

raytoei

i haven't tried fixing using kitchen salt yet...
with 300 g/l (that's alot) and fixing time 2 days, i'm not patient enough to try it yet :bsmilie:

Hi Oceanpriest,

Do i need to buy the stop bath for this process? I already have the fixer and others, but for the stop bath im not so sure if I should. Thank you so much in advance ;)

Hi Oceanpriest,

Do i need to buy the stop bath for this process? I already have the fixer and others, but for the stop bath im not so sure if I should. Thank you so much in advance ;)

I use ilfostop for stop bath. I will skip stop bath when I do stand development

long time never brew caffenol, decided to try different recipe. Caffenol C-L instead of C-M

Caffenol C-L

adjust for 500ml
1. 500 ml water
2. 8 gram baking soda
3. 5 gram vitamin-c
4. 0.8 gram potassium bromide (KBr)
5. 20 gram nescafe classic

Develop Rollei RPX100 for 40mins semi stand. Initial agitation for 30 seconds, then 3 inversions at 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32

16853369727_ee047dafb2_b.jpg

17060852825_0368cfe8e3_b.jpg