My first Caffenol

oceanpriest

Apr 24, 2010
Ghim Moh
I follow the Caffenol C-M recipe here for my fomapan 100 : http://caffenol.blogspot.com/2010/03/caffenol-c-m-recipe.html

adjust for 500ml
1. 500 ml water
2. 27 gram baking soda (ovened it for 30mins-1 hour)
3. 8 gram vitamin-c
4. 20 gram nescafe classic

- develop for 15 mins at 20 celcius. agitation for first 30 seconds, then 10 seconds each minute.
- stop bath (ilfostop, 1+19)
- fix for 5 mins (ilford rapid fixer, 1+4)
now both my stop bath and fixer smell like coffee :(

Scan-110920-0004.jpg

Scan-110920-0005.jpg

Scan-110920-0014.jpg

Scan-110920-0010.jpg

Wow. Very clean. :thumbsup:

Thanks bonrya, recently i started to filter my stop bath and fixer using those daiso coffee filter paper and use bottled water.

Looks pretty good! Where did you get your vitamin c from?

Looks so clean! Doesn't have any brownish cast or tint?

Looks pretty good! Where did you get your vitamin c from?

I got my vit c from ebay. Quite exp actually, but coffee is much more exp :sweat:
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/1000g-2-2-LB-pure-Ascorbic-Acid-Vitamin-C-NON-GMO-/170695112116?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27be38b5b4

so for 1 liter (can develop up to 3 rolls), I would need
54 gram baking soda ~ 0.1
16 gram vit c ~ 0.5
40 gram nescafe ~ $3
so it's around $1.2 per roll, not counting the water and electricity.

Rodinal (1+50) is much cheaper (5ml for 1 roll), so around $0.4 per roll.

Looks so clean! Doesn't have any brownish cast or tint?

Nope, no brownish cast or tint. I compared it with my fomapan souped in rodinal, they are look the same. That should save me time and effort to find Kbr (which I read somewhere, can also be substituted by iodized salt) :)

Looks good! Perhaps try with cheaper instant coffee? Cheapest i can find is Indocafe.

Hi Oceanpriest,
We met while collecting our MO at Raytoei. I am new to self development of film and yr caffenol process is superb. May I know if the above are the only substances needed to develop your film via caffenol? I am unable to attempt using any chemicals as I hv pets at home. Perhaps caffenol could be an alternative for me to try out. Your advise much appreciated.

My 2nd try was not really good. Perhaps I need to invest in better weighting scale. Currently I use those $2 from Daiso and guesstimate :bsmilie:

Scan-110924-0002.jpg

Scan-110924-0006.jpg

Scan-110924-0005.jpg

Looks good! Perhaps try with cheaper instant coffee? Cheapest i can find is Indocafe.

I'll try to use Indocafe when my nescafe is finished. Thanks!

Hi Oceanpriest,
We met while collecting our MO at Raytoei. I am new to self development of film and yr caffenol process is superb. May I know if the above are the only substances needed to develop your film via caffenol? I am unable to attempt using any chemicals as I hv pets at home. Perhaps caffenol could be an alternative for me to try out. Your advise much appreciated.

Yes Gerard, the above are the only substances needed. If you want, you can add Kbr to reduce fogging. Perhaps you can get Kbr from your veterinarian.
"Potassium bromide (Kbr) is presently used as a veterinary drug, as an antiepileptic medication for dogs and cats."

But after developing it with coffee, you'll still need fixer, which is a chemical too.

Hi Oceanpriest,

I'm quite keen to experiment with Caffenol. may I know the name of the baking soda and the fixer you use? Can both of these items be purchased locally? Hope to seek some advice. Thanks

Hi Oceanpriest,

I'm quite keen to experiment with Caffenol. may I know the name of the baking soda and the fixer you use? Can both of these items be purchased locally? Hope to seek some advice. Thanks

Hi Gerard, I got my baking soda from fairprice and ilford rapid fixer from Ruby photo.

armandhammer2.jpg

1021706.jpg

Hi Oceanpriest,

Thanks very much for the info. Will be doing some experimentation soon and see what comes out of it.

Hi Gerard, I got my baking soda from fairprice and ilford rapid fixer from Ruby photo.
armandhammer2.jpg

Umm... I've never done caffenol myself, but I'm pretty sure that you need washing soda (Na2CO3) not baking soda (NaHCO3). Unfortunately, it's not easy to find in Singapore.

Umm... I've never done caffenol myself, but I'm pretty sure that you need washing soda (Na2CO3) not baking soda (NaHCO3). Unfortunately, it's not easy to find in Singapore.

Well, I used baking soda and it worked. But i did put the baking soda inside oven for 30 mins to 1 hour at 200-250 celcius.

2 NaHCO3 -> Na2CO3+CO2+H2O
baking soda -> washing soda + carbon dioxide + water

chemistry classes years ago coming to good use now eh? hahah.

Well, I used baking soda and it worked. But i did put the baking soda inside oven for 30 mins to 1 hour at 200-250 celcius.

oceanpriest said:

:bigeyes: who would've thought of this!!!! Seriously!!! Hahaha!! Genius! :bsmilie:

oceanpriest, excellent!!!

You can buy Arm & Hammer washing soda at certain Cold Storage outlets e.g. Jelita. Also available at other supermarkets such as Tanglin Mall, Jason's (at Claymore) and market place at Paragon. It is in the laundry section and looks similar to the packaging of the baking soda shown in Oceanpriest's message above. Less than S$10 per box.

You can buy powdered Vitamin C from a local seller on eBay Singapore.

As for Potassium Bromide, I purchased mine from a Russian seller on eBay US. No problem with customs or postal authorities. There's also a Korean seller who sells the chemical but in larger bottles.