My First Bird Shot: White Stork

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbes187

Apr 3, 2007
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

This is my first try taking birds and the subject here is a white stork. I like this picture as I feel that its able to bring out the size and majesty of the creature.

Taken with D80 and 18-135mm kit lens. Picture was only resized.

I hope to get comments on the composition and how else such a picture can be improved.

1448605746_1193397b3f_o.jpg

Do you guys see a lot of noise? I tried submitting to Dreamtimes and they replied that there is noise in certain areas. Have to remove the noise before they will accept it...

dun mean to bring this up, but ainT that a pelican? :think:

Do you guys see a lot of noise? I tried submitting to Dreamtimes and they replied that there is noise in certain areas. Have to remove the noise before they will accept it...

The noise is at the tree trunk. What is the ISO setting? Do you use Auto or ???

Not bad for a first try...
Even if there is noise a the middle in the background. I find this image pleasant.
Just one annoying thing, the highlights are a little bit burned.

Just my opinion :d

The noise is at the tree trunk. What is the ISO setting? Do you use Auto or ???

This pic is at ISO 800 (pushed up by the D80 auto ISO function to give me a fast enough shutter to eliminate hand shake. I need VR!) and usually use aperture priority.

Are there any programs to eliminate the dust (hopefully free ones ;p).

Not bad for a first try...
Even if there is noise a the middle in the background. I find this image pleasant.
Just one annoying thing, the highlights are a little bit burned.

Just my opinion :d

Which highlights are burned? I didnt use any burn tools though... All I did was adjust exposure and WB in RAW then USM, levels, contrast and push up the saturation a bit.
These prob wont introduce any noise right so the noise was probably inherent in the original pic? Will post it later...

Which highlights are burned? I didnt use any burn tools though... All I did was adjust exposure and WB in RAW then USM, levels, contrast and push up the saturation a bit.
These prob wont introduce any noise right so the noise was probably inherent in the original pic? Will post it later...
burn tool doesn't make your highlight burn/blown... it just grey it...
yes i find the blown highlight distracting, there is no detail on the body of the pelican
maybe you can try underexpose it by 1/3-1/2 stop and then push the shadow a little in PP to get back the same bright background

Background is too messy. It will improve by cropping down further leaving out the rocks behind and the body at the bottom.

burn tool doesn't make your highlight burn/blown... it just grey it...
yes i find the blown highlight distracting, there is no detail on the body of the pelican
maybe you can try underexpose it by 1/3-1/2 stop and then push the shadow a little in PP to get back the same bright background

Agreed with the highlights burnt out. Anyway for hobbes, burnt highlights in simple term meant "overexposure causing loss of details in process".

So as can see from the body, feather details were lost. Try wat ExplorerZ says to retain the details. In all, a pleasant and nice pic.

Agreed with the highlights burnt out. Anyway for hobbes, burnt highlights in simple term meant "overexposure causing loss of details in process".

That's what I ment with burned highlights... sorry, was in bed. Couldn't not answer...

And yes, try what ExplorerZ told you.. will leave some nice details on the body

A good attempt, adding to the overexposed wing and tighter crop that the guys have mentioned, I presume you've zoomed your lens quite a bit to take this shot? The image isn't sharp, evidence of camera shake. With birds, it's critical to get the feathers sharp. Unless they're in motion or blur is intended in the first place. Nice try, keep shooting :)

I think you'll like this http://www.pbase.com/reybeckfilms/jos_landing... A forum friend from the Phil based in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.