my first attempt at FineArt

Status
Not open for further replies.

attap seed

Feb 16, 2006
MG_6895.JPG

i know i ve to do a short writeup, and i hope this suffice.

not being a refined or very educated person, i often have trouble understanding concepts that are too abstract.

and, i find fine art is exactly that - abstract and elusive. can be this, but then not this. can also be that, but then, not exactly that.

i sort of like this shot, but i cant exactly figure out why.

after staring at the super8R print for a week, i find that its confortable to look at. can give ppl (at least me) a sense of liberation.

so, my point is, is this FineArt? jus a snapshot, or another piece of junk?

Frankly, I myself know nuts abt fineArt - whats so fine about it, that it complicates the mind? Hehe...
I sum it up as something that conveys a message to the audience, using any form of media; anything, anywhere, and perhaps anyhow.

For your picture, what I dare to conclude is that from the green grass below, there's a gradual change in colours; from green to turqouise then to skyblue above; which perhaps could have been done better if you could have divided equally into 3 parts.

Geeez... you ask me at past 3am in the morning? Haha.. my mind half asleep liao~

1st thing, I find this picture lack of contrast, color is mute.

2nd thing, what you want your viewers to feel about this photo?

tranquility? no, it does not have any horizon line to tell.

power? no, the vertical lines are too weak.

patten? it is not strong enough

lively? too little green here.

dynamic? no diagonal line here.

So, can you tell us what do you like about in this photo?

i find the tattered canvas gives a kind of detached isolation, sort of character.

jus an attempt to create something that is new to me.

good eye on the lack of contrast. cus, i dialled down the contrast setting of my camera. maybe its not such a wise thing to do afterall.

many thanks for the comments.

i don't really feel the sense of isolation here. like catchlights has mentioned, the photo could do with a lot more contrast -if anything, to make the tattered gate stand out from the sky.

but why is a tattered gate associated with isolation? there are many things that could be associated with isolation, most minimalistic pictures can throw this idea out pretty strongly.. but the emotion is probably not present in this photo, even with the most apt processing to bring out the "mood"

many thanks!

guess it didnt work.

will try again.

Try cropping away the bottom 1/3, adjust the contrast and brightness of the image and show only the sky. At least the patten of the sky is a little more interesting and there's no other distraction.

i would say that this is a snapshot. If you play with angles, rotations, compositions perhaps an art can be birthed. As of now, I don't see any standard of fine art here tho. To me as much as we define a form of expression and limitless interpretation in the form of abstract, a degree of aesthetic has to surface.

Don't get discouraged, scout for more fine art potential subjects :D

You know, As much as most people are unable to accept such kinds of photos, I'm able to appreciate it. Like art, photos are really subjective...This abstract conceptual piece might not connect to most, but it really does to me...Ok, lol, I'm weird...I see things differently from most people. ANyway, if you like it, keep it to youself I guess.

Like meeting a person, I'd never look at a photograph at face value, in fact I'd ponder more into the "internal". I'd analyse and ponder more deeply on the message trying to be conveyed. However, traditionally, most would stick closely to rules of composition and aesthetics.

Now for my interpretation of the photo. I like the fact that you took it from a low angle, in such a way you showed More sky. The cloud pattern looks interesting enough, and it makes me feel the vastness of this world...I wanna see more of this world! YEAH! YET, there's this blue construction fence blocking...The Curiosity! What's on the other side? The holes in the fence...I wanna and I can peek thru...And even more interestingly, there's a sneak preview...the grass at the bottom one third that tells u what might be on the other side...Maybe lush green fields?

In general, it is a feeling of great freedom as seen from including more sky in the photo...that feels hindered slightly by the fence, but yet achieveable and unboundable thru the holes and flimsy wooden supports. Just my 2 cents worth really...:)

Looking closer, the flaps at the holes of the fence are blown towards ya...It does give the feeling of flying across towards the sky and having the headwind breeze in your face:p

Last edited:
You know, As much as most people are unable to accept such kinds of photos, I'm able to appreciate it. Like art, photos are really subjective...This abstract conceptual piece might not connect to most, but it really does to me...Ok, lol, I'm weird...I see things differently from most people. ANyway, if you like it, keep it to youself I guess.

Like meeting a person, I'd never look at a photograph at face value, in fact I'd ponder more into the "internal". I'd analyse and ponder more deeply on the message trying to be conveyed. However, traditionally, most would stick closely to rules of composition and aesthetics.
Fine art is any art form developed primarily for aesthetics rather than utility.[

Something requiring highly developed techniques and skills: the fine art of teaching.

Sadly , as much as I agree photography is subjective, this picture to me has not reached the degree of fineart.Fine art is created for its own sake; it stands on its own merits as a work of art. this summons no significance. Jut my 3 cents

To me it's an attempt at fine art, it's not really deep, but I can understand you're trying to express something.

I think it's the low contrast that's pulling the picture down, you have to ensure the aesthetics are pleasing somewhat first before people want to look deeper into the picture. If this one is in a bunch of photographs I'll overlook it for sure. If you want your photograph to reach the level of 'fine art', make it one that'll arrest our attention at first glance. After that use composition, colours and effects to give it emotion and feeling.

Photography as an art is subjective, you can never please everyone, but you can hope to enamour as many viewers as you can.

One aspect of FineArt I believe is to create something that no one has done before
in acceptance with the intended audience.

The piece of work not necessary must have enough contrast, pattern stimulation, isolation, vibrant colours, perfect powerful horizontal or vertical lines nor must it be an image that is lively with enough tranquility.

The work is to be interpretated by the intended audience, otherwise any work produced
will be thrown to the trash with disapproval and non acceptance.

Be brave and do not conform, just go ahead to break all the rules is what most beginners
are afraid of. Then said, what is creativity to some is but a regular snapshot by chance.

:):heart::)

thks everyone for the feedback.

jus chance upon this scene, sense a connection, and shot it.

difficulty wise, its as straightforward as a shot can get.

mounted a polariser, got low, and press the shutter.

as for good or bad, i cant decide. jus posted it here for some frank opinions.

also, my usual view is that a pic must explain itself. no point writing an essay to justify my justification to shoot it.

Hey hey, though this photo really connects to me, I do not consider it fine art. Like others have said, fine art has to be more aesthically pleasing and eye-catching...Hmm, however, I think I'd consider it more as conceptual photography, bearing a concept or idea for its viewers to interpret if they want to. How easy it is for others to interpret, that's subjective and depends on your technique and target audience. This photo of your's means something to me, but to others they don't get the message. While most people might overlook it, I can't help but feel attracted the more I look at this plain, simple picture. It is something I'd develop for myself as I appreciate it for having its unique, subjective message that only I might interpret, not something I'd send for critique or competition.

To me seeing a photograph is like seeing this girl. First impression of her counts...Her looks! Then as you get to know the her...you get to know her personality...deeper, beyond the superficial level :bsmilie: Not many viewers would go the extra mile to try understandingthe meaning behind a photo...Guess its the photographer's job to push forward both aesthetic and concept in his or her photograph. Like how its ideal for a girl to look good and posess a great personality. Yet, though there are girls who in one's opinion might not be good looking in this world, there are people who still love them for their personality. And yess. Its subjective!;p

bluemystery,

used to actively participate is competitions, i realised that how a photographer fares depends very much in producing what the judges wan to see. a photo is looked at for about 3 seconds, and if it dun appeal, its gone forever.

winning images are usually striking and exhibit some "advanced" techniques (eg panning, slow shutter, rear sync flash, bold striking color... ...). beautiful, definately! but sometimes too glamorous.

currently, my interest is record shot of scenes fast vanishing in spore.

this attempt is something "out of the norm" for me.

and u are right. FineArt is too big a word for me at this stage.

Last edited:
winning images are usually striking and exhibit some "advanced" techniques (eg panning, slow shutter, rear sync flash, bold striking color... ...). beautiful, definately! but sometimes too glamorous.

Why follow somebody footsteps when you can easily pull out the orginal uniqueness of yourself?
Spend enough time to master the above basics, then break out of the box to create something new out of your own.

currently, my interest is record shot of scenes fast vanishing in spore.

this attempt is something "out of the norm" for me.

and u are right. FineArt is too big a word for me at this stage.

Going out of the norm is the path for you whenever you are ready. You are the best person to trust your own instinct, so choose a way to express out of your heart by following your intuitive feelings.

Following what has been prescribed as the norm for winning entries in photo competitions is too old fashion already. In fact judges shouldn't be using the prescribed norms such as sharpness, colours, perfect panning and so on. They should be given instruction to look out for entries with unique brand of originality where no one has attempted before. Am glad that some organisations have been implementing such in their yearly competitions for the past couple of years already.

Status
Not open for further replies.