my experience with an OM Zuiko 35mm f/2.0

Ben Ang

Hi all!

when i look for a lens, i do some research first, but usually come up with very little in the way of reviews or porper pictures so i thought i d share my experience with this little but outstanding performer.

firstly, im a nikon shooter. i picked my 35 f2 up cheap here on CS and got it converted to Nikon F-mount. i wasnt expecting much and was prepared to use it more as a film lens. but the moment i put it on my d200 and took the fiirst couple of shots, i knew this was something special.

Build:
lens is solidly built. i like the overall styling especially the way the aperture ring is to the front of the lens. this way, i dont have to fight with the protruding prism to switch the aperture. i like the finish, but not so the rubber grip. nothing that affects the lens, more a personal feel kinda thing. overall, very nice and compact while being solid enough to withstand daily use.

Optical performance.

before trying the lens i had read 1 review saying the lens was next to useless at f2 and only got useful at f4 upwards. this got me worried, but i soon found that its is really the focus thats critical. the lens has an interesting way or rendering the infocus areas sharp and then quickly smudging it of into a very pleasant bokeh. this hence requires very close to perfect focus to ensure sharp results at f2. doesnt help then the DOF is quite thin.

my d200 has a calibrated split focus screen so this isnt too much of an issue for me.

flare is handled reasonable well, with the lens loosing contrast only when the sun is just out of the image. rainbow coloured lens flare is not common and have only seen it on 1 or 2 shots. see the picture of the green leaves below, i was pleasantly surprised by the contrast offered even udner such light.

for resolution, wide open it isnt stellar. but once stopped down to 2.8 onwards, it becomes very very good. however, i find that at close focusing distances, even f2 produces great results with creamy bokeh. seems the my lens lends itself more towards portrait and close distances.

4313106364_b75eb50e50_o.jpg

4312371393_b100648487_o.jpg

4312371451_8d11636dc4_o.jpg

4273191625_6b44a4d9e5_o.jpg

4313106452_78ee825efd_o.jpg

for me, i look at the contrast and rendition of lenses more so than resolution. i dont print big, and being able to achieve the overall 'feel' of an image is more important to me. this 35mm gives good contrast and warm tones without being harsh. in fact, it has a very unique clean-ness to images and larger apertures, something i quite like. sets it apart from some of the all-about-sharpness lenses out there.

just to illustrate:
FYI, my work flow is raw from camera with v minor tweaks in Nikon editor which is freeware. so nothing is specialy manipulated.

4312369273_48e82f2238_o.jpg

it does very well in black and white as well. giving smooth tones and beautiful transitions from focus to off focus areas.

4312370669_900e7a53d5_o.jpg

4312370463_36dac35bb2_o.jpg

4313106034_42e6803779_o.jpg

4312371081_1368673c7b_o.jpg

overall i must say that im very happy with this lens. its very natural angle of view(50mm with the 1.5X crop) and its character, together with its compactness means its in my camera bag most of the time even though i carry a tokina 20-35 f/2.8.

hope that this will help anyone interested in getting a moderate wide angle... or in 4/3 a short tele.

regards,
benjamin

Hi,

how much did you spend for this lens?

aaron

hi, aaronkho got it for over $200.. conversion costed abit more. but all together quite worth it =)

Hi

Which shop to convert the lens to F mount, thanks.

Hi.
Can I know which shop can do lens mount conversation. I am interested to convert my lens/

Thanks

i am sad to hear that its has been changed to a nikon mount..

Hi.
Can I know which shop can do lens mount conversation. I am interested to convert my lens/

Thanks

Nice meeting you today. Since you are using Canon and the OM-4Ti, it better to get adapters for your OM lenses instead of converting them. You can get OM to EOS adapters from a few places locally. Try Tagotech, XCPictorial and Chiif. Get one with AF confirmation.

It was a pleasure drinking coffee with you this morning.

I can certainly tap on your vast experience in photography. Yes, I am not converting my lens mounts, will get the adapters instead.

Nice meeting you today. Since you are using Canon and the OM-4Ti, it better to get adapters for your OM lenses instead of converting them. You can get OM to EOS adapters from a few places locally. Try Tagotech, XCPictorial and Chiif. Get one with AF confirmation.

Thanks for the review. Good job on the photos. I actually like them.

From what I see, I think the lens is indeed sharp but it really seems the DOF is quite narrow. I also like the flower / lily shot but the bokeh in that shot looks interesting. Some people would actually call it distracting, but actually, I think it was a very good shot. I like it. I would agree that this would be a hit and miss type of lens and u gotta be a good photographer to use it well.