My encounter @ Esplanade; it was absurd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Bluestrike and I tried our luck today. In fact, we tried twice.

We were on the balcony of the top floor in the earlier part of the afternoon. We took shots (everything that moves and does not move), with the security guy knowing exactly what we did; we were not disturbed, not at all.

When we were back later in the evening, I began my routine when a security guy (different from the previous one) approached me and questioned me as if I'm a saboteur, demanding to know why I was taking pictures of the structure. We had a small argument where he stated plainly that visitors were only allowed to take pictures 'away' from the structure and also critized that we Singaporeans tend not to follow instructions and love to grumble and complain (well I hate say this but I tend to agree to the latter remarks to a certain extent).

However, what really cheesed me off was the fact that a double standard was applied to me. Why me? Because I'm wearing a loud-coloured Arsenal jersey (just a joke; maybe he's a Bolton Wanderers' fan)? Or was it because I was using a SLR with - rather long lens (was using Bluestrike's 70-200mm then)?

Sheeze...anyway, thanks for listening...now I can understand the emotions that ran in Ckiang's earlier thread...try to explain to him I was taking abstract shots...ya rite...;)

Hmm... a United Nation Chief Saboteur? :D

Something just came to mind. Apparently; from a few instances I've heard of, security guards tend to go after people using SLRs or something which is of substantial mass to grab their attention ............... my question is ............. if you're really out to sabotage a building, would you go round with a 70-200 lens telling the whole world what you're doing?!?!?! Attracting attention?!?!?

Haven't it occured to those halfwits that the building they were guarding is of some architectural interest to people??? Ok, to be fair, they might be just following instructions from the management but with 2 durians bulging out from the skyline, what do they expect??

For my case, the security person was rather nice and friendly, though I still did not understand the rationale. Like I said, I initially thought they were only after SLR-toting users, with their big SLR bodies and big lenses, but he also went after the family next to me using their compact camera to do their family snaps.

Why spend $600 million building something which you don't want people to photograph? Is it too ugly? And it's an open air balcony anyway, so what big difference does it make to photograph the 2 durian shells from the balcony or to book a hotel in say, the Swissotel Stamford and usea 600/4 to shoot at it? Purely absurd.

One of us went to ask another security guard back then why, he said something to the effect of "coz it's not ready". Come on, this is not software. If you are not ready, why open it to public?

I wrote a letter to ST Forum and Streats, Streats did not publish it, and ST rejected it. Not worth publishing? Or must I talk about the quitter and stayer nonsense, or the newater stuff before they can publish it?

Regards
CK

Hi

[ah soh mode on]
haiyah......tat's why LAH...tell u all to go buy a LEICA LAH....the camera small small cute cute......i take and take sooooooo mani shots that day on the roof HOR, nobody stop me LEH! ur kamera big big, SURE kenna stop ONE!

buy Leica, then sure can one MAH, RIGHT????? :devil:
[/ah soh mode on]

sorry couldn't resist ;p

i was with Ckiang that day. While they were busy arguing with the guy, i sneaked around taking photos :cool:

actually, the one we met the other day was actually quite apologetic - he himself admitted to not really sure why we cannot take any photo from the roof, even of the scene outside the building..........

i think i shall go to the roof myself again to try again :)

Hmm, why don't you try writing to the CEO of the Esplanade. It sounds like some instruction from the top got garbled on its way down to the security guards.

I was wondering if it was a security issue? I haven't been to the Esplanade yet but from what is described u can take good pictures of downtown CBD district? Maybe to prevent terrorists from taking aerial shots of possible targets and to get a good view of the city grid to plan an attack? Think it's possible, especially with the JI around? Wouldn't wonder if this was not communicated to the security guards. No need to cause mass paranoia.......just guessing............ :D Might be applicable to other tall buildings too except that u usually can't stride into one with a bulky SLR and go to the top floor without a security guard after u. Both physical security and commercial secrets issue here.

Originally posted by TME
I was wondering if it was a security issue? I haven't been to the Esplanade yet but from what is described u can take good pictures of downtown CBD district? Maybe to prevent terrorists from taking aerial shots of possible targets and to get a good view of the city grid to plan an attack? Think it's possible, especially with the JI around? Wouldn't wonder if this was not communicated to the security guards. No need to cause mass paranoia.......just guessing............ :D Might be applicable to other tall buildings too except that u usually can't stride into one with a bulky SLR and go to the top floor without a security guard after u. Both physical security and commercial secrets issue here.

You kidding? The CBD is dunno how many kilometers away. And the balcony we are on is only like 4 storeys above. Can't get any aerial views. This is just ridiculous rules.

Regards
CK

How abt a mass photoshoot at Esplanade? :D

I was there....and asked to stop after taking a few shots

may be next time i try again with a small compact camera and see if they will stop me

btw...why photographer consider as saboteur??

Originally posted by kamwai
How abt a mass photoshoot at Esplanade? :D

I was there....and asked to stop after taking a few shots

may be next time i try again with a small compact camera and see if they will stop me

btw...why photographer consider as saboteur??

No point, they stopped the family next to me who's using a small compact camera.....

Best camera to use here are those PDA cameras like the Sony CLIE NR70V, or the Nokia 7650 phone/camera. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

No point, they stopped the family next to me who's using a small compact camera.....

Best camera to use here are those PDA cameras like the Sony CLIE NR70V, or the Nokia 7650 phone/camera. :)

Regards
CK

How are u going to take an abstract shot with those?!! :D

But any photographer today who goes around expensive and presitigious public buildings are going to be scrutinised since your pics can be used to take in strategic spots in the architecture to bring the building down. Usually it takes only a few pounds of well placed Semtex or C4 to bring down a building if the bombers can get to the load-bearing beams that support the entire building. So maybe they were worried that someone might think of bombing out "durians" cos they represent our effort at becoming civilised/or our symbol pride............well... whatever.....:)

interesting comments.

i chanced across the roof access by accident on saturday following a huge crowd. i took out my cam and happily clicking away - constantly aware of the earlier complaints abt taking fotos in the premier arts building which we singporeans are supposed to feel oh so proud about. i even got a few pics of a guy on the rooftop doing maintenance work. i wasn't the only fella there with a camera. there were even ppl trotting video cams and happily filming away.

i came down from the rooftop without any incident, passing a security guard as well. i thought he was gonna stop me with my camera dangling in full view. but nothing happened. my initial impression was either their security was lax or the whole security shebang got called off since it was the weekend.

now i know its the former.

same...was there on friday last week around 6 odd...with my nikon 5700...saw a few others with tripods and stuff..but no one came to say anything....the only place where they were strict with the rule is at the lobby where there were signs to tell u no photography...nothing at the outdoor area up there.

sometimes the security just trying to be extra careful, it could be unfairly applied sometimes.. in these times, it always pays to be extra careful, guess its just unfortunate that you happened to be at the receiving end.

good day

Originally posted by Red Dawn
Hi

[ah soh mode on]
haiyah......tat's why LAH...tell u all to go buy a LEICA LAH....the camera small small cute cute......i take and take sooooooo mani shots that day on the roof HOR, nobody stop me LEH! ur kamera big big, SURE kenna stop ONE!

buy Leica, then sure can one MAH, RIGHT????? :devil:
[/ah soh mode on]

sorry couldn't resist ;p

i was with Ckiang that day. While they were busy arguing with the guy, i sneaked around taking photos :cool:

actually, the one we met the other day was actually quite apologetic - he himself admitted to not really sure why we cannot take any photo from the roof, even of the scene outside the building..........

i think i shall go to the roof myself again to try again :)

You missed a good photo-opportunity. It would have been a good street shot to see a photographer arguing with a security guard.

Originally posted by StreetShooter

You missed a good photo-opportunity. It would have been a good street shot to see a photographer arguing with a security guard.

Haha...maybe we can check with our resident Peeping Tom who was with me @ that time...

Bluestrike, did you get anything (other than the gal pics)? :dent:

Originally posted by AdamGoi

Haha...maybe we can check with our resident Peeping Tom who was with me @ that time...

Bluestrike, did you get anything (other than the gal pics)? :dent:
nah... can't be bother with you.. there are more interesting things then that.!!!

:p

Originally posted by Bluestrike

nah... can't be bother with you.. there are more interesting things then that.!!!

:p

Bluestrike always shoot girls one right?!! :D I remember that clandestine shot of 2 chio gals at Sentosa beach in bikinis...........:D :D :D Show leh!!

Originally posted by TME

Bluestrike always shoot girls one right?!! :D I remember that clandestine shot of 2 chio gals at Sentosa beach in bikinis...........:D :D :D Show leh!!
err....
I think you got the wrong guy.....

Originally posted by Bluestrike

err....
I think you got the wrong guy.....

Huh?! Is it??! Paiseh!! :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.