My EastGear Universal Dual Charger goes 'dead' on me today

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHH

Deregistered
Mar 31, 2004
East
Was charging my original Nikon D70 battery this morning when after about 2hr, saw the light goes off.
This is not normal as a fully charged battery should still have the green LED light on.
Upon checking , saw the power adapter plastic is kind of like melted and deformed slightly.
Also realise there is liquid leaking out from the adaptor.
Quickly check on the battery, luckily it still ok and fully charged.

Check my warranty for the charger and found out that the warranty has just ended 1 month and 10 days ago. Tough Luck ! :cry:

Wonder has anyone encounter this problem before ?

Although the warranty is for 1 yr but never expect it to fail so soon just after the warranty ends.
Have to comfort myself that luckily the slightly melted adaptor did not lead to any electrical spark which may cause fire.
What if it is in the middle of the nigh.... :sweat:

Also luckily this fault happen before I goes for my trip to Hokkaido next Wed.
Can't imagine if in the middle of the trip and finds that the charger has failed.... :sweat:

Seems like now beside bringing spare battery and camara for a trip, also need to bring spare charger !

In fact I really like this charger as it can charge two battery at the same time and also can charge my Sony battery.
It a very convenient tool to have for going on a trip.

Not sure can EastGear do a FOC repair or exchange as this happen just 1 month after warranty ends. :bheart:

Anyone with similar experience ? :dunno:

My wife's universal charger's power adapter also melted. Did a 1 to 1 exchanged with EastGear. I thought mine is an isolated case.

I think the rest of the people should be careful about leaving this charger to charge unattended.

what are u trying to tell people in this forum?
EastGear sold u a dud?
You should have a new charger after the waranty has expired?

Yes it is tough luck that your charger died on you .. it happens to the best of us .. and with electronic items .. it happens.. all of us have things that fail on us some time or another ...

so just buy another charger or talk to EG about it ..

go talk to EG abt it.

might be a batch prob. EG is not out to cheat their customers lah :)

Nikon has a dual charger also.

Charger melting is not a small issue. :D Dangerous as might cause fire, especially charger which you will on for a long un-supervise period. Better check it out. Got any standard board sticker? Like what the tv ad always showing, don't buy stuff without it. IMHO. :D

I believe WHH's voicing of his concerns are valid. Having the power adapter melt and leak is serious. It is something serious enough for PSB to investigate.

At the very least, EG should warn their customers not to leave charging unattended. This is besides any warranty issues.

Yes, just want to share my experience/concern.
Without posting , I will thought that mine is just an isolated case.
Thanks to all for the advise.
Will talk to EG.

What WHH has done is a good deed for everyone, even for the supplier. Because the damage will be greater if someone don't even bother to talk about it in a forum, but instead shoot straight to the appropriate authorities. :D So :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for WHH, as he choose to discuss it here and also talk to the supplier peacefully. In a way it helps the supplier to improve customer services and satisfaction. IMHO :D

This is no small issue, the faulty charger can result in fire. I remember a few years back, there were some news of homes being burned down due to faulty eletrical fans. How is it possible to keep ones eyes on the fan while being sound asleep?

Personally, I've experiences where by the elecrtical kettle doesn't automatically shut off when the water is boiled and only realised it when the kitchen turned into a steamy suna room. :confused: :confused:

Really appreciate for brining it up, so that EG could pay more attention to its QC. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jeffhiew said:
This is no small issue, the faulty charger can result in fire. I remember a few years back, there were some news of homes being burned down due to faulty eletrical fans. How is it possible to keep ones eyes on the fan while being sound asleep?

Personally, I've experiences where by the elecrtical kettle doesn't automatically shut off when the water is boiled and only realised it when the kitchen turned into a steamy suna room.
Really appreciate for brining it up, so that EG could pay more attention to its QC.

yeah totally agree too. i used to just leave my chargers for AA and lithium on and then went out for a jog, haircut or whatsoever etc, just realised how dangerous this can turn out to be...doesn't matter if one is using third party or OEM charger... :sweat: thanks for bringing it up.

i think EG will do something to help you :)

Sputnik said:
what are u trying to tell people in this forum?
EastGear sold u a dud?
You should have a new charger after the waranty has expired?

Yes it is tough luck that your charger died on you .. it happens to the best of us .. and with electronic items .. it happens.. all of us have things that fail on us some time or another ...

so just buy another charger or talk to EG about it ..

WHH did not mean it this way. When mine died, it is close to a year also and I just dismiss it as probably my tough luck. But it is the possibility of a fire breaking out that really concerns me and not the charger. Luckily I was around and smelt something burning otherwise cannot imagine the consequences. From then onwards, I'm not leaving it or any other chargers unattended.

I had very good after sales service from East Gear. They also exchanged a died Ripvan OEM battery charger for me. :thumbsup: So if anyone has any problems with their products, I believe they are most willing to look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.