My E510 can't see to take sharp images anymore with autofocus

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSeet

Mar 11, 2003
North East
www.kelvinseet.com
Is it a known problem?

No matter which lens I use, all the pictures can't focus properly. All my images are now soft, compared to the past when it was razor sharp.

Is it a body problem? Can I go back to Olympus to repair or realign whatever was misaligned?

Thanks!

Is it a known problem?

No matter which lens I use, all the pictures can't focus properly. All my images are now soft, compared to the past when it was razor sharp.

Is it a body problem? Can I go back to Olympus to repair or realign whatever was misaligned?

Thanks!
Show some pictures with exif data before meaningful advise(s) can be given...

Is you lens or sensor dirty? How about the filter, try using another lens if you have.

i tried with 3 lenses...same problem. 14-42, 40-150, 14-54...all can't really focus sharply leh

might be what someone said about the 1.3 firmware,I also notice my E-510 is not as sharp,hmmmm

but i haven't updated my firmware. hmm

what's the exif info that will be important? can let me know so that I can see and upload the relevant ones?

Unless you sensor got a layer of fungus, check your NR mode. Reset the config and try again.

Is it a known problem?

Thanks!

Are you saying to Auto-focus not sharp enough?
Sometimes dust gets onto your AF-sensor, causing you unable to auto-focus correctly.

I used to have this problem...what i did was to flip up the mirror, then blow hard on the bottom part (which is your AF sensor). Then my E510 was back to normal again...

Are you saying to Auto-focus not sharp enough?
Sometimes dust gets onto your AF-sensor, causing you unable to auto-focus correctly.

I used to have this problem...what i did was to flip up the mirror, then blow hard on the bottom part (which is your AF sensor). Then my E510 was back to normal again...

Well, be careful when you try to do this. Make sure you don't scratch the mirror :D

hmm dust on the sensor ah? will I be able to see the dust appearing on my photos? It won't be visible ah?

the weird thing was that the photos I took while I was testing the lens were not sharp, but when I took it out on a photo trip, most were good enough and some were very sharp. I was thinking should I have most were very sharp while some were super sharp? Or am I just expecting the heavens on a trip on earth?

hmm

what MSkong said is the autofocus sensor,since all that does is just autofocus,it doesn't appear on your photos

try another e510 with the same lenes...u will narrow the cause..

btw, will d dust affect the focusing?? sensor only record whatever they capture when shutter open right? :dunno:

btw, will d dust affect the focusing?? sensor only record whatever they capture when shutter open right? :dunno:

yup I tried with all 3 of my lenses. I'll go do another round of tests to check if the problem is still present! :)

Not the sensor that captures your picture....it's the focus-sensor that lies at the bottom

well...if the dust decided to falls on your little focus sensor....your camera focusing will go haywire!!! :cool::cool:

Not the sensor that captures your picture....it's the focus-sensor that lies at the bottom

well...if the dust decided to falls on your little focus sensor....your camera focusing will go haywire!!! :cool::cool:

I think I have dust on the focus sensor of my E510 as well. Focus us slower and not as precise any more, lots of hunting to find focus and many 'misses'.

I tried to blow dust off the focus sensor and it improved some, but I suspect there is also dust on the impossible to get to focus sensor mirror on the back of the main mirror.

I might have to book it into Olympus for a clean and calibrate.

i notice oly camera has poor focusing prob, last time my friend one also like that.

Is it a known problem?

Thanks!
The question is, if it has worked well before, could it be that you changed mode of use and set the release priority to on and don't wait for the focus to be ready? Or can it be that you have set the camera set to AF+MF and accidentally turn the focus ring after the focus confirmation?

Anyway, if you exclude all the user errors then it is probably a good cleaning which is needed. Read my article, it will guide you with some images as well.

http://olyflyer.blogspot.com/2007/08/focusing-problems-with-e-500.html

There are many threads about AF problems, maybe the admins should make one into a sticky. I know I participated in quite a few but I don't have the time to do a proper search to find the right one. I always post a lot of images and text, but frankly I am tired of repeating the whole process over and over about all the "how to..." and the whys. I went through the sticky about the interesting articles or subjects but I could not find anything which I can quickly relate to the subject.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.