My E1 with Nikkor 500mm mirror lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
Hello all, recently bought a "big mama" from ebay & it turns out to be a gem. the lens is so brand new that i can almost smell the fresh paint from Nikon factory. this lens is not known for its sharpness but its range & size & weight is a big plus.

quickly took some samples & the colors from the E1 is very good. no "artificial flavouring" added.

sill.jpg

antenna.jpg

but if u think 1000mm FOV is really big, think again. the moon i took is really small.

moon2.jpg

100% cropped reveal some detail but i find its still not good enuf.

moon.jpg

ever wonder whats on top of Biopolis?

Biopolis2.jpg

what do u guys think? not too bad for a 2nd hand lens huh?

saw this guy working on the upgrading project opp my blk:

Roof.jpg

and also a crane working in the far away distance on a pte property. its approaching night, so the sky is a little pinkish, orangy color.

crane.jpg

lastly, a few s'pore bldg which i can see from a distance from my house:

cityhall.jpg

singtel.jpg

pls excuse the haze for u know s'pore is always fuzzy whole year round. wud love to bring this lens out to zoo or bird park soon, as long as the weather & time permits. :bsmilie:

Hi Bro,

New toy ya! :) Are you hand holding or mounting it on a tripod.? I have a Tamron 500mm mirror lens and even on a tripod I find it quite difficult to get a sharp picture! Yours looks quite useable.

Post more pictures leh! ;p

What kind of adapter you use to mount this mirror lens to your E1?

nightpiper said:
...100% cropped reveal some detail but i find its still not good enuf...

woow nightpiper, you pics are great. I can't wait to get my hands on the MF-1...

BTW, try to get a 2x converter and set it between the adapter and the lens. That way you'll get your moon. Not much light left, but with high ISO it should not be a problem.

Gerlim said:
Hi Bro,

New toy ya! :) Are you hand holding or mounting it on a tripod.? I have a Tamron 500mm mirror lens and even on a tripod I find it quite difficult to get a sharp picture! Yours looks quite useable.

Post more pictures leh! ;p

i wud definitely post more pics when i can shoot some "wildlife" in their cages. :bsmilie: u want to join me with ur collection of goodies?

the man upgrading the roof is hand held, the rest r tripod mounted. i even tried hand held at 1/50s with flash of my girl... not too bad & i m surprised myself!! the lens is light & compact & doesn't feel off balance on the E1.

tao said:
Mr. NP is using a Nikon-to-4/3 adaptor ring. Think he got it from CameraQuest.
deeeeggggggg....!!! wrong answer. my friend helped me got it in Japan, its a Kindai. very good quality in terms of material & machining.

OlyFlyer said:
BTW, try to get a 2x converter and set it between the adapter and the lens. That way you'll get your moon. Not much light left, but with high ISO it should not be a problem.
i think with 2x converter, it will become too dark to compose & focus. i was thinking in line of the Canon EF 1200mm & i get 2400 FOV. :bsmilie: but that lens is extremely exp & EF lenses not useable on the E1.

:cheers:

Wow, Nightpiper, I am amazed at the clarity despite the distance. You clearly have a very steady pair of hands. BTW, if this is 500mm, does this translate to 1000mm in terms of 4/3. Care to share with us how much you paid for.

I spy with my eye:bigeyes:

Nightpiper's next investment, his very own Hubble telescope, because telephoto is no longer enough...

serene said:
Wow, Nightpiper, I am amazed at the clarity despite the distance. You clearly have a very steady pair of hands. BTW, if this is 500mm, does this translate to 1000mm in terms of 4/3. Care to share with us how much you paid for.

yes, the 500mm becomes 1000mm FOV on the 4:3 sys. not ur everyday lens but a whole lot of fun!! :D i bot it at ebay for US$290, its really cheap & the condition is brand new. (not a single blemish under very strict scrutinisation) comes with 4 colour filters & 1 UV, all original Nikon. but these filters r fitted at the back of the rear lens element, not the usual front threaded type.

plastic said:
Nightpiper's next investment, his very own Hubble telescope, because telephoto is no longer enough...
i guess i shud invest in a proper telescope for this kind of astro shots. :bsmilie: i'll be sure to knock on Wai's door for tips. Wai has got nice astro galaxy pics in his gallery:thumbsup: , do a search on it & u'll see how vast the universe is out there. :sweat:

plastic said:
While waiting for Hubble to be on Sale, here is my proposal for Nightpiper's next toy.

http://www.celestron.com/c2/images/files/product/11064-XLT_cge1400xlt_large.gif

Nightpiper said:
...with 2x converter, it will become too dark to compose & focus...
Isn't it just to set focus to infinity when you take astro pics? And as for composition, I think there should be enough light to see something in viewfinder. Anyway, my new proposal gives you 3910mm, so I guess this one will give you your Moon. I am affraid, you'll have to be prepared for 5-6 seconds shutter opening here also. Unfortunatly, I can only see OM-adapters, so MF-1 is necessary.

http://www.celestron.com/c2/images/files/product/93414_olympus_large.gif

No idea how heavy the wallet that pays for it must be, I think almost as heavy as the telescope itself. I wish I could afford one.

i bot it at ebay for US$290, its really cheap & the condition is brand new. (not a single blemish under very strict scrutinisation) comes with 4 colour filters & 1 UV, all original Nikon. but these filters r fitted at the back of the rear lens element, not the usual front threaded type.

Amazing lens at a bargain price...
Anyone tried with the Zuiko manual 500mm mirror lens?

cheers

OlyFlyer said:
Which one? The 500mm or my proposal?

For this one: http://www.celestron.com/c2/images/files/product/11064-XLT_cge1400xlt_large.gif US$290 is a very good price, I guess.

Teo is referring to my words but he forgot to enclosed it with the quote command. :) your proposal is really evil... :bsmilie: what a big tele!! no worries also cos i have the OM adaptor as well. now for that million dollar question.... how much.....? :sweat: :sweat:

nightpiper said:
...no worries also cos i have the OM adaptor as well..
...well, since you have the OM adapter all problems are solved. Or....:nono: That Big Mama will probably cost a few more $ than the 500mm. But hey, having OM adapter is more than I have, so you are one step in advance. I am still waiting for Oly to deliver.

Yeah, nightpiper you're right as I was quotting your message ...not sure why the message did not appear as "quote"??...

cheers

Teo said:
Yeah, nightpiper you're right as I was quotting your message ...not sure why the message did not appear as "quote"??...cheers
Understood that way too. Just tried to be funny, :bsmilie: guess it did not work. For $290 I would get a couple of the Big Mamas I proposed. Unfortunatly, I guess it costs its weight in gold, but it would be great to have, and be able to take pictures of small green creatures out there.

ur proposed big mama less then US$290? need to find out more...

btw, i dun think u can take a shot of the moon in 5-6sec, it moves very fast, juz for those who hasn't shoot moon b4. so at 3000mm range, the moon will be out of the compositon placement after u tightened the stand & before pressing trigger. the 500mm already has this problem, so u need to play fastest finger first. :bsmilie:

here is the pic of my girl shot at 1/50sec with FL36 handheld. crazy? yes, i know. :lovegrin: the lens is small & light so its possible to have a pic which is not technically perfect but good for the memory. :angel:

while u r looking at the pic, take note of the perspective it gives.

kid.jpg

here's 100% crop, not the sharpest but can still make out what it is.

kid100.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.