My DSLR Focus Issue (Skill)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tropiccana

Nov 30, 2008
Singapore
hi all,

Recently just bought my 1st DSLR and i love it so much to take picture of all kind. it really great where i can create some superb bokeh feel and some night scene shot. but there 1 issue bother me recently which is the focusing issue. the problem is like this...
i wan to take a picture which both people and background is truly clear. . i had try serveral shot which different kind of mode(manual (high n low aperture), auto mode, landscape and swith the AF mode to AF-S AF-C & AF-A). e.g to take picture with a tiger at 10m away at zoo. the result will be either background clear, human blur or..human clear, background blur....hahah...how to make it to be both to be clear like using those digital camera? i had increase the focus length but it seems very dark and produce the same result in manual mode.

anyone there can help me this newbie???

thx lot...!!

hi all,

Recently just bought my 1st DSLR and i love it so much to take picture of all kind. it really great where i can create some superb bokeh feel and some night scene shot. but there 1 issue bother me recently which is the focusing issue. the problem is like this...
i wan to take a picture which both people and background is truly clear. . i had try serveral shot which different kind of mode(manual (high n low aperture), auto mode, landscape and swith the AF mode to AF-S AF-C & AF-A). e.g to take picture with a tiger at 10m away at zoo. the result will be either background clear, human blur or..human clear, background blur....hahah...how to make it to be both to be clear like using those digital camera? i had increase the focus length but it seems very dark and produce the same result in manual mode.

thx lot...!!

1) Background clear, human blur => You are focusing on the background instead of the human.

2) Human clear, background blur => focus is correct but you are using too large an aperture already. Use a smaller aperture like f11 or f16 and you should be able to get your background clearer.

3) No need to change so many modes to take photos. Just use Aperture Priority. And I'm not sure about your AF modes, but I normally just use centre focus.

Last edited:
hi all,

thx lot...!!

Maybe read up on DOF (depth of field). If you want nice bokeh... then background has to be blur mah, aperture low like 2.8-4. If you want shallow dof, use large aperture value as suggested.

1) Background clear, human blur => You are focusing on the background instead of the human.

2) Human clear, background blur => focus is correct but you are using too large an aperture already. Use a smaller aperture like f11 or f16 and you should be able to get your background clearer.

3) No need to change so many modes to take photos. Just use Aperture Priority. And I'm not sure about your AF modes, but I normally just use centre focus.

take note and will try again next time...thx a lot!!!! cheers!!:thumbsup:

Focal length also affects depth of field. Suggest you go read up on depth of field. It will help you plan your shots better.

And keep shooting!

AF-S AF-C AF-A nothing to do with centre focus ...

AF-S(single) means once u lock focus, its lock with reference to that point till u release yr "half-pressed" shutter...

AF-C(cervo) means the camera continuously refocuses as yr shutter is half pressed with reference to wadeva is in yr focus point, whether its at the centre, side etc.

AF-A (auto) means the camera will automatically choose between the above two(single or cervo) based on the pre-half press shutter conditions....

To get maximum DOF, use a smaller aperture (f/11 and up......easiest is f/22) and a slightly wider zoom....do note that when u have a small aperture, shutter speeds would be relatively longer, may have a need for tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.