My doubts. - Canon, Nikon, Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan920

Oct 9, 2009
Jurong West, Singapore
Page 1-2
Sorry to disturb everyone! I know i'm a irritating noob =X
Someone told me in previous thread that there is cheaper camera. He said Nikon and canon are just a bit too over priced. I did some research and realise that sony was seriously cheaper o.o! I look into it's specification but dont see the difference .... i dont understand a lot of its function and what it does so cant compare.

1) My Budget $1000.(Try to save if possible. I want to shoot during events and outings so i should be using it at least once every week.)
2)What is the difference between Nikon D3000, D60, Canon D1000 To Sony A230It is almost $300 difference but the specification doesn't show. Anyway if Sony is cheap and good why everyone is still going for Nikon and Canon?
Personally i like how Nikon look.

Page3.2
>>>>>>>>>>Update<<<<<<<<<<
Budget as usual $1000. I will go to the shop and test all 3 then make my decision.
Meanwhile , you can continue to suggest more gear. I would think about it.
Sony a330 , Canon 1000D , Nikon D3000 (3 that is in my mind)

How much is Sony's battery. Its preventing me from buying it..... I know canon's battery cost $10. Nikon $20. I think i would get at least 4 battery because i need flash during night events,live view , playing with setting :) and my friends would for sure playback on pictures .

Canon 1000(Battery For CANON LP-E5 EOS 1000D Kiss F Kiss X2) - S$ 10.74 at http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Battery-For-CANON-LP-E5-EOS-1000D-Kiss-F-Kiss-X2_W0QQitemZ290360361588QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_216?hash=item439ad38274#ht_988wt_1060

Nikon D3000(New Battery for Nikon EN-EL9A EN-EL9 D5000 D3000 D60 UK) - GBP 8.99 Approximately S$ 20.48 at http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/New-Battery-...CamBatt_RL?hash=item53dd4b3695#ht_3245wt_1165

Where should i buy my camera from? amk?

Some advice please.So... Battery is the problem for me now. Haha advice please :D

Last edited:

And honestly, that's the only reason you need to get the camera.

It's like a zen thing; you and your camera must be as one, then you can go forth and make nice pictures. No use having a "good" system that you somehow feel uncomfortable with. :thumbsup:

i'm someone who thinks feel and looks are important factors too. if i don't like its look, i won't even bother to look at its specs. maybe u should physically look at and get hold of those models 1st....see how u feel.

i'm someone who thinks feel and looks are important factors too. if i don't like its look, i won't even bother to look at its specs. maybe u should physically look at and get hold of those models 1st....see how u feel.

I think the grip of the camera is very important. I choose G10 over LX3 also because just don't feel comfortable holding LX3.

Incidentally, the D60 is still older etc than the D3k, so if you go for Nikon keep in mind how old the model is, cos the specs/quality of the internal stuff changes with time.

Otherwise, yeah it's impt to see which camera you think most fits you, eg. i like the low-light of canon cameras, but the buttons/controls just don't feel as natural to me as nikon, so i still use nikon.

However, still impt to go read up in the library on DSLRs before you make your purchase, if you really can't tell the difference between the cameras. Reading a lot of reviews isn't much use unless you know what the different types of sensors (CCD vs CMOS), 4/3 vs APS-C etc mean, or about colour, ISO performance etc... For example, certain brands are stronger in reproducing certain colours, which will change how your photos look. Even if you don't intend to buy your camera based on its stats, imo still impt to know how to use your camera properly once you have it :) Good libraries for camera books are bishan and amk.

hope it helps :)

Incidentally, think about getting a 2nd hand camera for your first one, so you don't lose so much $ if you don't like it and decide to change system. or get your friends/a shop to let you test out the cameras of different brands before purchase

Someone told me in previous thread that there is cheaper camera. He said Nikon and canon are just a bit too over priced. I did some research and realise that sony was seriously cheaper o.o! I look into it's specification but dont see the difference .... i dont understand a lot of its function and what it does so cant compare.

1) My Budget $1000.(Try to save if possible. I want to shoot during events and outings so i should be using it at least once every week.)
2)What is the difference between Nikon D3000, D60, Canon D1000 To Sony A230It is almost $300 difference but the specification doesn't show. Anyway if Sony is cheap and good why everyone is still going for Nikon and Canon?
If you are comparing them logically, then you want a side-by-side comparison, you can go to dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...,nikon_d60,nikon_d3000,sony_dslra230&show=all

But if it is the feel of the camera that is more important to you, then perhaps go to the respective showrooms and play with the camera yourself. You are the only one who can tell which one best suit you.

i also like how nikon look, but the price is out of reach for me...

if usage/output wise, the ppl at digital camera magazine (sep09) says canon 5DmarkII is best, against nikon D700 and alpha 900... but afforability wise, sony gives the best bang for bucks...

Nikon and canon are established dslr brands, thus their camera has a higher price. A lot of people also use nikon and canon cos they already owned Nikon Canon lenses, thus they won't switch brands as it means they will waste money buying lenses again.

Sony are the newest member to join the dslr market (however do note that Sony dslr are made by konica minolta engineers who are old birds in dslr), thus they purposely priced their dslr real cheap. This is a common business strategy, selling products below market price, not to earn profits but rather to gain market share.

So if u are on a budget, the Sony alphas (and pentax) are the best value for money, due to above marketing strategy from Sony.

I am using Sony and like it very much. As mentioned earlier, spec are comparable (depending on model) to Nikon/Canon but pricewise are really cheap. I personally Support SONY!!

Is sony's specification as good as canon and nikon?

Specs only tell half the story.

Actually, sometimes specs don't tell you much about how your photos are going to turn out (although I must say I am very impressed with Nikon's ISO ratings for their high-end bodies).

There is one thing that often too overlooked - ergonomics. Like some of the good folk here have mentioned, you need to have a "feel" for the camera. The camera is of little use if it is feature packed, but you need to slow down and dig into menus to change certain settings. And user-interface is a very personal thing. Some people like buttons, others like dials.

Let's try to be as objective as possible and not go into a rah-rah battle of the brands again, shall we? The camera is just a tool, and all brands are good. If there were crap brands, then nobody would be using them at all!

1) My Budget $1000.(Try to save if possible. I want to shoot during events and outings so i should be using it at least once every week.)...

If you like live view, you should also look at Sony A330. With that budget, I think you can get camera body with live view and 2 lenses. If you willing to increase your budget a bit, you can also consider A500L.

I suggest this, since You looking at Sony DSLR.

if you intend to build your collection in the future, look at the lenses available from all 3 parties. I'd say canon would win in this aspect.

ok :) I think i will go hold all 4 and try using it then decide... Thanks :) Why cant Nikon D3000 have live view and as cheap as sony LOLS xD

if i have no camera at all right now, and am starting out as a newbie, i would seriously be tempted by Sony's A550.

noted that no one above talked about high iso performance of the cameras.

Although all the cameras are speced to say, ISO 1600. the quality of the high iso images between the brands vary quite abit. In the past, Canon used to be the leaders of high iso noise performance, which is the reason why i made my choice the C brand. Nikon has caught up, and some even say overtook canon on this aspect with the new D700/3/3s/3x etc, which i tend to agree, but quite hard to compare when nikon is 12mp and canon 5d2 is 21mp. to me its a draw.

Lower end cameras wise, sony has been behind in terms of low light high iso performance, but looking at recent samples of the A550, things seems to have improved on that end! so i wld say sony is an up and coming brand for newbies to consider. Can't comment about the A2xx-3xx series. like the live view AF, but can't say i like the low light performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.