My Dog stoning after a noon nap

NewbietoPro

Sep 24, 2011
6317181419_e07b5f0bf5_z.jpg

Hello guys, I am back after a heavy month in school. Test over and more to go :(

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition and post-processing.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

The stoning effect of my brother's beloved dog. She just woke up after i disturbed her (haha, i just love doing that.).
It's my first formal dog portrait thou.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Afternoon, roughly around 2-3pm? Can't recall thou.
Using Canon 500D, Tamron 17-50mm non VC @ 50mm, f5.6, ISO100, Can't recall the shutter. :p (Sorry)

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I personally like this photo alot. It's really sharp and the nice bokeh effect after my brother's dog's head and one of her legs.

Do let me know how i can improve :)

Thanks Guys:)

Composition wise I like the perspective and subject placement that gives focus to the eyes, one minor grape would be the cutting off of the paw. While the dog certainly does look "sian" I personally feel the b/w doesnt really suit the mood all that well IMO. Maybe more muted colours might have worked?

Haha raptor, I didn't crop the photo. It's because I need to bend on fours to take thus I had difficulty seeing thru the viewfinder. While this is not an excuse, I will re take again after I disturb her. Haha.
Other than the paws' part, I feel that if I were to have a reflection of her face on the floor, it maybe better, will it?
I had her taken in colours but I changed it to bnw cos I thought it may make her look even more 'sian'.
I just upload her colored photo tomorrow and perhaps u can advise me more :)

In my non technical view, for dogs, play moments / big smile / guilty shoots will be standout more. just like children, most ppl will want to capture them making silly faces/smile/laugh/play etc instead of an uninterested face. maybe thats just me :).

Hmm noted. I will factor that in next time. :)

nice dog!
for me, i would prefer to crop off the paw totally, so the attention and focus would be heightened on the "stoned-face".
some dodging on the highlights and a tinge of midtones in the eyes would make it an even more powerful picture

Wa... So many suggestions lol. Ok, I will take several from different perspectives and see what are the better effects. Thanks guys :)

Sleeping sitting or lying down are the best places to start for dogs since you have the time to practice framing, composition and exposure. It also gives you the chance to study which angles and perspectives (eye level? higher? lower?) work better for what body type and face shape :D Yes its like taking human portraits.

As what sagiluck mentioned it will also be good to showcase other aspects of the dogs personality by addning in more action shots once you are comfortable with the basics.

hmm.. noted :)

Thanks guys

I love this, but I maybe bias cos I love dogs. Especially cute ones like yours! hahaha. I would love to see this in colour though. :)

Same here. Haha. But upgrading of skills are still needed :)

Awesome cuteness! I love it! :cool:

Ground Level shot - checked
Focus on the eye - checked

overall great photo.

The dog's right face could have been brighten up by an external source of light. (there are more empty space on the right side of her). so lighten up her right face over left face draw better attention. just my 2 cents

Thanks guys. I will look into those small details next time. Just too careless :p