My DIY Timbak2 camera bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoelse

Oct 17, 2003
I have a Timbuk2 small messenger bag and I want to double it up as a camera bag. I was initially looking for camera bag insert but I couldn't find anything in the shop. I decided to customize my own and I went shopping at the best source for DIY material here in Singapore - Art Friend. I bought a large piece of hard plastic board to form as the boxy structure, art and craft glue, large piece of foam for shock prevention and some rubbery sheets/mattes to form the skin. Some left over material samples and the bag are shown in this photo.
-
2737731518_55bb59a097.jpg

-
The finish product looks decent with good enough shock protection. I reckon it is more shock resistance then my lowepro since I have a layer of hard plastic, foam and 2 rubber mattes both side. I use masking tape to secure the rubbery skin while waiting for the glue to dry and I initially decided to remove the tape for the finish product but later decided that it is no harm leaving it there although it does make it a little less presentable.
-
2737731652_3ddcd31c93.jpg

Here it is, a nicely shaped discrete messenger bag as a camera bag good for 2 zoom lens, 1 flash gun (or another lens) plus a DSLR body.
-
2737728660_871a813da4.jpg

Last edited:
hi, interested to know if your finish is velcro-able... (to custom further the way the camera sits in the insert)

Woah.. hot pink.. :bigeyes: doesn't really match the colors of the bag but it does makes it bright enough for you to see the content in dim lighting conditions.

Last edited:
u r L337! woohoo.. i just bought a crumpler lawn mower and shoved it inside ma old puma sling bag.. :confused:

Last edited:
:D actually should be magenta, the rest of the side is actually multi-color becos the material is only A4 size and I cannot find anything larger or 1 color. The pack of A4 comes with multicolor. I don't have other pix if got time I will take somemore. as for insert, I just use the rubbery matte as divider as I find it more flexible and wouldn't move around even without any velcro.

I actually think it is easier to use a yoga matte and by some cutting it can easily provide cushion for base and 4 sides of the bag. I think if the cutting is good there is no need to even make it like a boxy shape like what I have done hence more flexible and easily removable. I should also be more 'mouldable' to the body shape since it will be softer while providing good enough shock protection.

I saw at carrefour today selling a large piece of yoga matte for $7+ no harm trying.

The bag should be $120 iirc. There is a promotion selling for $89 just like drewdam mentioned. Maybe can still bargain?

Timbuk2 is a good bag and is water proof.

Woah.. hot pink.. :bigeyes: doesn't really match the colors of the bag but it does makes it bright enough for you to see the content in dim lighting conditions.

wow looking cool. good idea to custom-make the camera insert!

can give us the details how to make? :)
thankies.

thanks for sharing, i think the yoga mat is a good idea too
but need to wrap some material that is velcroable

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: nicely done! killing two birds with one stone..good!!

cool stuff, should try it out with my crumpler messenger bag :D

Status
Not open for further replies.