My days are numbered..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blu-By-U

Aug 2, 2006
Selangor D.E.
My first Black and White.

First off as my first black and white, 3 picture panorama.
1) Have I chose the right subject?
2) perspective is done to look like a fisheye. This is partly caused by the 3 pictures thats used to do this panorama.
3) What about the title, comments.
4) overall, what do you think?.

I like the composition. however i find the distortion is not flattering. the tonal and contrast can be improved.

just my 2 cents:)

Just chiming in with my 2 cents, I'm a newbie myself. :)

The "fisheye" effect you were going for is rather "uneven", it looks asymmetrical may be because of the angle at which you took the shots. The cruise ship at the corner of your frame looks like it is about to slide off the picture.

I wondering if what you want to convey can be done without the stitching. Perhaps with a different angle?

Hello.

Does the title "my days are numbered" refer to the jetty or the ship or to anything else.

I am sorry that I don't immediately get the connection as the look has too many distracting things.

Nice stitching of shots to make the final I must say.

Only a view if that is ok.

Thanks.

the distortion looks werid, even for a FE look.
i like the over look and feel
how about a 5 pic panorama? to capture the left and right? would show the purpose of the shot at least
can't really relate title to pic. maybe something simpler, last pier?

put it this way, if u gonna exhibit this pic. ppl will be thinking, why numbered? and where's this place? even for a sg person... gonna be thinking too hard. u need to find a relation, unless u want it to be abstract in nature. then in that case, bokeh the ship and islands. the no signboards are also kinda distracting, cause u got it rite smack in the middle.

My first Black and White.

First off as my first black and white, 3 picture panorama.
1) Have I chose the right subject?
2) perspective is done to look like a fisheye. This is partly caused by the 3 pictures thats used to do this panorama.
3) What about the title, comments.
4) overall, what do you think?.

1. subject to title makes some sense as the cruise ship cannot dock to the wooden jetty
2. the fisheye effect in this case does nothing for the image and should not be used
3. title wise i'll leave to the word smiths to comment
4. let me make some suggestions

may i suggest another point of view, maybe one much closer to the jetty, this is so that the lines of the jetty will lead the eye to the cruise ship in the background.
Also to have the whole cruise ship in the frame
search for some worn or broken element of the wooden jetty as the main subject in the foreground to further imply that the wooden jetty is falling apart.
I'd suggest going back for a reshoot to try out the comments given in your thread

i hope it helps
cheers

The old falling apart jetty or wharf is the main subject and it's waiting for dismantling..hence the days are numbered.

I have blown the highlights and to be able to re shoot that would have to wait till December when I am in Singapore again. (provided it's still there) This shot is taken at Harbor Front near the bus pickup and drop off point. I was waiting for the Aeroline bus, for a ride home to KL.

The old falling apart jetty or wharf is the main subject and it's waiting for dismantling..hence the days are numbered. ...

For what it's worth, Blu-By-U, I got the point
of the falling-apart jetty at first glimpse already,
but got distracted by the ship, and other far-
away-but-bright elements ... AND (as referred to
by ping) the "uneven" effect resulting from the
stitch.

If you're reshooting, consider a lower point
of view, nearer, too, which will give you
more shimmer under the jetty with
hint of reflections of the rotting posts?! That
way, you'll draw the user to "feel" the
texture of the rotting wood, without allowing
attention to be drawn away by too much
sky or other distracting elements.

Just my 2c contribution, to enhance what's
a nice idea! Keep it up!:)

Thank you. At least you saw the rotting wood. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.