My daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl

Feb 21, 2008
Yishun
Juz buy canon 40D on Dec. Still not familiar with DSLR as this is my 1st DSLR camera. Been taking quite a few photo on my daughter and son. This pic that i took is alittle out of focus but many find this pic very nice.
Felica.jpg

This photo have not been edited yet as i alway like my pic to be as orginal as possible. I used 50mm f/1.4 for this shot, focusing somewhere on her forehead making almost everything out of focus and look soft. Not really planned for this shot as that was my 1st time using 50mm and maybe 2nd or 3rd time using my camera. Not used to take pic of ppl as i only like to take sun rise/set during my stay in the Navy(Film type of cam). Please feel free to comments. I hope this pic isnt too bad :sweat:

Wat a lovely girl you have !
She looks very photogenic as well :)

You can try focusing on her eyes while rendering the rest slightly oof as well.
You shot it at 1.4 i assume ?

Ryan

yep, in portraits, usu people go for the eyes.
if the eyes are sharp, everything shd be fine even if OOF.

Wat a lovely girl you have !
She looks very photogenic as well :)

You can try focusing on her eyes while rendering the rest slightly oof as well.
You shot it at 1.4 i assume ?

Ryan

Ya, 1.4. I dont know how to select different AF points that time. Juz learn how to do selection few days ago, so will improve on that. Thanz

at 1.4 the depth of field is too shallow try stopping down to 2.8 and focus lock on the eyes then recompose.

at 1.4 the depth of field is too shallow try stopping down to 2.8 and focus lock on the eyes then recompose.

Roger that. Will try doing so.

ohya, just to add on, if u shoot at f/1.4, or large apertures, do note that if u move slightly foward or backwards, the focusing will be off, since depth of field is very very shallow.

yep, like what pyrique mentioned, focus and recompose is usu the trick. but choose the AF point to focus on the eyes such that u don't have to move much when u recompose, else, focusing will also be off too if using large apertures and shooting very near to the subject.

Beautiful portrait. Pity its OOF. Oh well, you've got a photogenic girl... so you can always exercise your newfound advice anytime! :)

Thanz for all advice. The main problem is her movement, everything got to do like, point and shoot most of the time. So i think i will try again using smaller apertures like 2.8 at the same spot with the same lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.