My D300s cannot auto-focus

Slash56

Mar 9, 2009
SK
Dear all,

Appreciate if you all can help me on this. My D300s cannot auto focus - i'm currently using the 18-200mm lens.

What should i check on my camera?

Many thanks!

Not a D300s user but should be the same. Check the left side of your camera body near the lens mount and there is a switch to toggle between AF and M.

Check your Lens. The side, check if it is switched to M/A, not M

Guys,

It's in M/A..

Doesn't matter if it's either C, S, M shooting settings right?

Hi Slash56

Try to remove your lens and then put it on again.
I suspect you did not fit the lens 100% (properly), the contacts on the lens did not come in touch so AF not working properly.

When you fit the lens onto the DSLR, you should feel or 'hear' a click sound.

Hope the above information solves your issue and happy shooting.

Regards
htx

Check if your body is in C,S or M setting. M means manual. Everything else is fine.

Check if your lens is A/M, M/A, M setting (some lens don't have all options). M means manual. Everything else is fine.

Check if your body custom settings if you can assign focus + release to your trigger or just release only. If you assign release only to your trigger, pressing trigger will not AF. Some body custom setting is press AF-ON button to focus.

Guys,

It's in M/A..

Doesn't matter if it's either C, S, M shooting settings right?

Of course it matters. If body set to M, it will over-ride lens setting and becomes manual.

If body set to C or S, and lens set to M, it will over-ride body setting and becomes manual.

Just try it out and explore. And..... RTFM.

Hi Slash56

Try to remove your lens and then put it on again.
I suspect you did not fit the lens 100% (properly), the contacts on the lens did not come in touch so AF not working properly.

When you fit the lens onto the DSLR, you should feel or 'hear' a click sound.

Hope the above information solves your issue and happy shooting.

Regards
htx

Hi htx,

Thanks. Just to check, even if it's not 100% fitted, can i still shoot?

Of course it matters. If body set to M, it will over-ride lens setting and becomes manual.

If body set to C or S, and lens set to M, it will over-ride body setting and becomes manual.

Just try it out and explore. And..... RTFM.

That's right.. opps... my settings isn't in M... nor is the lens at M... :dunno:

That's right.. opps... my settings isn't in M... nor is the lens at M... :dunno:

Change to single focus mode, pick a focus point.
Will it focus if you press the AF-ON button and half-press the trigger?

Change to single focus mode, pick a focus point.
Will it focus if you press the AF-ON button and half-press the trigger?

I'll give it a try tonight..

If it can auto focus, meaning?

If it still cannot, it means?

Thanks

set it to either S or C first, then make sure ur 18-200 is properly mounted n the switch at M/A. clean the cpu contacts also. if AF is still not possible, then try with other lenses.

if AF on other lenses can be performed with the settings i mentioned above, then it's ur 18-200's problem.

if AF on other lenses cannot be performed, then it's ur camera's problem.

set it to either S or C first, then make sure ur 18-200 is properly mounted n the switch at M/A. clean the cpu contacts also. if AF is still not possible, then try with other lenses.

if AF on other lenses can be performed with the settings i mentioned above, then it's ur 18-200's problem.

if AF on other lenses cannot be performed, then it's ur camera's problem.

I'll have to double confirm on the mounting part.

I've tried it on my previous camera's kit lens.. still cannot work! :dunno:

I'll have to double confirm on the mounting part.

I've tried it on my previous camera's kit lens.. still cannot work! :dunno:

instead of half pressing the shutter button (u might haf turned off AF function wif half pressing the shutter button) press the AF-ON button instead.

if it still can't work, were there any error messages pop up?

n as i mentioned earlier, did u clean the cpu contacts first before trying?

if the problem persists after trying out every single method u see in this thread, then it wuld be better if u make a trip down to NSC

If nothing works, bring your camera and lens to NSC for a check up.

If nothing works, bring your camera and lens to NSC for a check up.

Guess i have to do just that... I bought my camera in Jan 2011 somemore... :bheart:

meanwhile i can still shoot with my camera right?

Hi htx,

Thanks. Just to check, even if it's not 100% fitted, can i still shoot?

Hi Slash56

If memory did not failed me, I suppose you will have AF problem and cannot shoot.
I had similar problem that happened about 4 years ago in HK using my D80. Went to a nearby camera shop and they sort it out for me. I was new to DSLR then.

Regards
htx

Guess i have to do just that... I bought my camera in Jan 2011 somemore... :bheart:

meanwhile i can still shoot with my camera right?

Might not be the camera. Might be a dead focus motor in your lens.

Hi Slash56

If memory did not failed me, I suppose you will have AF problem and cannot shoot.
I had similar problem that happened about 4 years ago in HK using my D80. Went to a nearby camera shop and they sort it out for me. I was new to DSLR then.

Regards
htx

Wonder if this is common, i shall bring it to a camera shop first before sending it to Nikon.. :D