My current kit + further questions.

CubbyT

Sep 6, 2011
Hi there,

After getting some advises and did some research, I settled down with the following:

- Nikon D5000
- Aipo Drybox EX38
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G DX
- Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM + UV filter

I find that this 2 lenses give me a good mix. Good enough for me to walk about when I travel.

Thank you so much.

Questions:
- Do I need to get UV filter for the 35mm?
- Should I get cleaning kit?

Filters: Get it when you think you need it. There are people who use either filters or lens hood.. (or both?)

Normally, UV filters are used to prevent lens from catching dust/dirt/scratches. That said, filters are known to cause flaring and ghosting (esp for cheap ones. less so in high quality ones). But there are scenarios where UV or filters is a MUST (some examples can be, very windy + sandy condition or shooting in places where water is likely to get INTO the lens from the front element).

Lens hood can do (more or less) the same thing about preventing scratches/light knocks against the wall. In addition, it helps to block out additional light coming into the lens from the sides where filter is unable to do so.

Cleaning Kit: For a start, the rocket blower should work well :)

yup a rocket blower will do the job =)

A rocket blower will be fine...

If i were you i will still get a uv filter for the 35mm... just in case you knock on to something...

[video=youtube;-e9TUIC-Dtk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9TUIC-Dtk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:
You guys are great. I will get 1 to protect the lens. :) Oh ya. A rocket blower also. :)

A rocket blower will be fine...
If i were you i will still get a uv filter for the 35mm... just in case you knock on to something...
Forget these UV filters .. and also this video. These kind of 'tests' are maybe somewhat entertaining after a few beers .. but that's it. One should learn to be careful and use common sense. If a piece of glass is not making any difference to the image and no lens manufacturer recommends them anywhere then just forget it. This scaremongering about 'maybe knocking on something' is silly. Do we see anybody putting rubber or foam material around the edges of a car, just in case the driver bumps into something? Do we all walk around like Michelin mascots 'just in case we bump into somebody'?
If any, most bumps will happen from the side, towards the rim of the lens. Filters will get stuck because the filter threads get damaged. In addition, glass is likely to crack. So we end up with a cracked filter that cannot be removed without tools. Congratulations. Most lens hoods are mounted with bayonet, which sits lose on the lens. Secondly, it's made of plastic. Any bump from the side will be caught and absorbed by the soft material of the hood. The impact on the lens is very limited. If a hood really cracks it can be removed easily.
Thirdly, lens front elements are harder than what most people think. It needs a lot of energy, clumsiness and other factors to cause damages that will impact the image.
TS: Get a lens hood.

There is one reason I use a lens filter despite what Octarine said is quite true. I clean the front of the lens using my T-shirt at times when I'm shooting outdoor activities. I am willing to do it on the filter, but not the lovely coated lens. :bsmilie:

That's if you have ever covered a paint ball event. Not that the filter will certainly prevent you from cracking the lens should one fall right at the lens, but it makes cleaning with the T-shirt very easy and risk free while you are at it. You can't even take off the mask (as a photographer), the referee will shout at your like shouting at a dog. :what: I do have situation when the paint ball strike at the lens before and it painted my 70-200. I have to continue shooting and all I can do is wipe it away with my shirt. Without the filter, I probably just erm...... how ?

Forget these UV filters .. and also this video. These kind of 'tests' are maybe somewhat entertaining after a few beers .. but that's it. One should learn to be careful and use common sense. If a piece of glass is not making any difference to the image and no lens manufacturer recommends them anywhere then just forget it. This scaremongering about 'maybe knocking on something' is silly. Do we see anybody putting rubber or foam material around the edges of a car, just in case the driver bumps into something? Do we all walk around like Michelin mascots 'just in case we bump into somebody'?
If any, most bumps will happen from the side, towards the rim of the lens. Filters will get stuck because the filter threads get damaged. In addition, glass is likely to crack. So we end up with a cracked filter that cannot be removed without tools. Congratulations. Most lens hoods are mounted with bayonet, which sits lose on the lens. Secondly, it's made of plastic. Any bump from the side will be caught and absorbed by the soft material of the hood. The impact on the lens is very limited. If a hood really cracks it can be removed easily.
Thirdly, lens front elements are harder than what most people think. It needs a lot of energy, clumsiness and other factors to cause damages that will impact the image.
TS: Get a lens hood.

Last edited:
There is one reason I use a lens filter despite what Octarine said is quite true. I clean the front of the lens using my T-shirt at times when I'm shooting outdoor activities. I am willing to do it on the filter, but not the lovely coated lens. :bsmilie:

That's if you have ever covered a paint ball event. Not that the filter will certainly prevent you from cracking the lens should one fall right at the lens, but it makes cleaning with the T-shirt very easy and risk free while you are at it. You can't even take off the mask (as a photographer), the referee will shout at your like shouting at a dog. :what: I do have situation when the paint ball strike at the lens before and it painted my 70-200. I have to continue shooting and all I can do is wipe it away with my shirt. Without the filter, I probably just erm...... how ?

Agreed to that...:)

cleaning kit.. yes. must buy..
UV filter? well i always had mine on.. + lens hood. In most cases they are always on.. i used cheap filter for cheap glass and higher grade filter for higher end lens.

cleaning kit.. yes. must buy..
UV filter? well i always had mine on.. + lens hood. In most cases they are always on.. i used cheap filter for cheap glass and higher grade filter for higher end lens.

Want a cheap UV filter to just protect your lens from scratches? Try ebay. ;)

David Kwok said:

Wah, u are very brave taking ur camera into battle *salute*
I'll probably gaffer the entire lens body, rain coat the camera. Are paint ball stain hard to remove from filter? I bet filter will crack if it gets a direct hit wouldn't it?

Cowseye said:
Wah, u are very brave taking ur camera into battle *salute*
I'll probably gaffer the entire lens body, rain coat the camera. Are paint ball stain hard to remove from filter? I bet filter will crack if it gets a direct hit wouldn't it?

I was lucky. I know one of the photography events company and was invited to cover one of the paintballs competition held seasonly at bottlewood park. It was a good experience for me and I know it is not easy to have the chance to cover these kind of events.

There are strict protocols to follow once you are inside the ground. You disobey any of them are you are chased out of the ground. I did put on the lens raincoat to cover majority of the camera and the lens, but the lens is definitely vulnerable. Well it is not all that dangerous but you will need to be aware where the players are shooting and get out of the line. The paintballs will bounce off the net and sometimes hit the refeeres and the photographers but to really get a crack on the lens, you probably hit a direct hit.

Hi there,

After getting some advises and did some research, I settled down with the following:

- Nikon D5000
- Aipo Drybox EX38
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G DX
- Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM + UV filter

I find that this 2 lenses give me a good mix. Good enough for me to walk about when I travel.

Thank you so much.

Questions:
- Do I need to get UV filter for the 35mm?
- Should I get cleaning kit?

I have seen you getting a UV filter for your 18-200mm lens and will suggest you to do the same for the 35mm. They can't share filters as their filter thread sizes are not the same.

The AF Swiss blower can be found at most camera stores. You can compare it with the rocket blower and decide on one. Personally, I will recommend the AF Swiss blower.
DT064L.jpg

A packet of lens tissues may be useful also. It leaves no residue on the lens unlike normal tissue papers.